Thicc strong ladies who used to race - what freeride boot do you use?

Specifically, do you use men’s boots if you can find your size? Or are the ladies offerings worth riding as a strong skier?

A good friend of my wife’s is looking for a touring setup. Mostly sidecountry. Gear minimalist - one boot for everything would be great. So right off, top contenders are roxa ti, lupo and xt free. Freeride boot with tech inserts. One boot to rule both a tech and alpine setup.

Strong racing background, fast af on the hill. Basically perfect form, shin against the front of her boot the entire descent.

5’7” strong legs, big calves, coming from some sort of atomic racing boot that is now beat AF. Riding 176 billy goats pretty much every day. Mondo is 23.5

Don’t talk about touring skis/bindings - that’s not the first priority.

So, main question - men’s or women’s boots?
    Secondary question - which boot specifically?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

You know the rules...

I’ll yield to the authority- booner
    But if she’d like to check out the new Roxa in a 24.5 contact me. There’s none locally

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Specifically, do you use men’s boots if you can find your size? Or are the ladies offerings worth riding as a strong skier?

A good friend of my wife’s is looking for a touring setup. Mostly sidecountry. Gear minimalist - one boot for everything would be great. So right off, top contenders are roxa ti, lupo and xt free. Freeride boot with tech inserts. One boot to rule both a tech and alpine setup.

Strong racing background, fast af on the hill. Basically perfect form, shin against the front of her boot the entire descent.

5’7” strong legs, big calves, coming from some sort of atomic racing boot that is now beat AF. Riding 176 billy goats pretty much every day. Mondo is 23.5

Don’t talk about touring skis/bindings - that’s not the first priority.

I'm going through the same search for my 18yro, who has been downsizing into a 22.5 plug Atomic redster WC 110 and boot packing in them in fall.

Having looked around, most "men's" models don't go down to 23.5 so the options dwindle at that BSL. I picked up last year's womens Hawx XTD 110 for her after having her try on the 90xtd and saying it was too soft.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Yeah, XTD 110-120 comes right to mind along with the XT Free, Strider, Cochise, newest alltrack..... All the usual suspects but which ever fits her foot/lower leg best wins. Try them all. I've been shocked at how well my XTD 130's ski. Getting pretty close to my RS130's.....at least close enough that I don't worry about loosing much performance if I have to ski them for a day inbounds.

Many women’s boots have a larger calf area, relative to the rest of the boot, than men’s. Other than that I’d say go to the store with the biggest selection and start trying them on. If she raced she’ll know how she wants the boot to feel.

Technica Zero G Tour Scout maybe a good pick for a high end women’s boot. Any stiffer men’s boot would work that fits her.

Really though this is a custom process and Booner is the world’s expert in this field.

funny to see you post this. a bailed from a pair of women’s dalbello kryptons last year as the calves just weren’t happening. she’s in atomic hawk utlra 115 whatever now and happy as a clam. tried on a lot of boots. calves shame mine. i don’t know that product line but would look solly/atomic if you don’t get a clear winner here.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Mondo is 23.5
    No one makes freeride men's boots with tech fittings in 23.5. Best bets are Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 115W or Tecnica Zero G Tour Scout W if she's really going to tour in them, Lange XT Free 110W or Tecnica Cochise 105W if it's just occasional touring.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    No one makes freeride men's boots with tech fittings in 23.5. Best bets are Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 115W or Tecnica Zero G Tour Scout W if she's really going to tour in them, Lange XT Free 110W or Tecnica Cochise 105W if it's just occasional touring.
    Also re: touring - Gea RS at 120flex. My wife loves them as her touring boot (coming from Freedom SL); not an ex-racer, but she skis hard. Another lady charger is in Tour Scout W and loves them.

Resort freeride - Lange RX, Head Raptor are the go-tos.

Nordica Stryder 120 and 130 were available in 23/23,5. Tecnica Zero G tour pro in a 23/23,5 was also made, at least last year. All of which are almost impossible to find, but sometimes you get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SkiersLeft View Post
    Nordica Stryder 120 and 130 were available in 23/23,5. Tecnica Zero G tour pro in a 23/23,5 was also made, at least last year. All of which are almost impossible to find, but sometimes you get lucky.
    I stand corrected. Looks like the Zero G Tour Pro is actually listed on some sites as coming in a 22.5, though in typical Tecnica fashion that will be a 23.5 shell with a piece of plastic stapled to the boot board . . .

this ^^ I take a 24 and there isnt much in mens sizing below a 25 so what I find is a narrower lasted womens boot in a non-many color that is not very stiff for a 160lb guy with a wide forefoot

Dynafit did make the Vulcan & Mercury down to a 22 and thats what I have been on for the last 6 yars

If I was looking now I would be trying on the Technica ZGPT or the Atomic hawx 130 cuz both go down to 24 ... which probably doenst help yer friend needing a 23.5
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Though in typical Tecnica fashion that will be a 23.5 shell with a piece of plastic stapled to the boot board . . .
    Its is an annoying fact. The buyer at our shop quit bringing in 22.5's that are actually 23's with plugs in the toes. He only ordered brands/models that were true 22's, which made fitting much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Its is an annoying fact. The buyer at our shop quit bringing in 22.5's that are actually 23's with plugs in the toes. He only ordered brands/models that were true 22's, which made fitting much easier.
    If in doubt, look at the BSL on the sole - alpine and crossover boots will normally be 26x mm in a 22.5, 27x mm in a 23.5 (bets are off for non-ISO 9523 touring soles).

Nordica does make a woman's Strider in a 115 flex.
    Move along nothing to see here.