Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Hey thom, BD has a template on the website for the 200.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks! I missed it. It looks like the dimensionless template in the downloadable Haute Route manual on the ATK site.

I did notice a small, 30mm line for verifying print scale, however. I may have missed that in the ATK manual.

When I draw my templates, the scale verification is a 4" x 4" box. It magnifies scaling errors (I verify with a dial caliper after printing) and allows me to check both x and y axis scaling - in case something wonky is going on with my printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    ... I can see how a freeride spacer might behave a bit like a Kingpin in this respect. Haven't tried it though.
    I would have thought its primary benefit was to support the boot for folks who stomp big air. No?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks! I missed it. It looks like the dimensionless template in the downloadable Haute Route manual on the ATK site.

I did notice a small, 30mm line for verifying print scale, however. I may have missed that in the ATK manual.

When I draw my templates, the scale verification is a 4" x 4" box. It magnifies scaling errors (I verify with a dial caliper after printing) and allows me to check both x and y axis scaling - in case something wonky is going on with my printer.

I would have thought its primary benefit was to support the boot for folks who stomp big air. No?

... Thom
    I’ll keep an eye out for your template before mounting my girlfriends skis, thanks.
    She asked if BD had templates on the site, i of course said manufacturers never do that, and she clicked right to it.

Gravity always wins...

I’ll keep an eye out for your template before mounting my girlfriends skis, thanks.
    She asked if BD had templates on the site, i of course said manufacturers never do that, and she clicked right to it.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to find binding manuals with templates on the ATK site.

I'll definitely do a test mount tomorrow and put a link up.

My templates are old school, meaning you lay out the toe and heel lines on the ski, and cut out small, square windows on the template to position the template.

The one shortcoming of this method is for tech mounts, 'coz the distance from the front of the boot to the pin line varies. My Zero Gs have a 10mm offset and my previous Maestrales had a 15mm offset.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I just finished a test mount and everything looks good to me, but please do a test mount to verify everything to your own satisfaction. The template is here:

https://galibierdesign.com/images/ot...Route_Thom.pdf

I got the heel hole offset to where the heel mounts in the middle of the adjustment track when mounting according to the template (+/- a few thousandths).

Notes:

• For this test mount, I used the displayed BSL on my Technicas: 293mm. I did not physically measure the boots. IOW, I marked a toe line and heel line, spaced 293mm apart. Verify your BSL and do a test mount!
    • As I noted in the template, the binding's toe holes are referenced off the boot toe. Tech boot pin locations differ. The template is drawn to my Tecnica Zero-Gs, whose pins are 10mm behind the front of toe. Verify your pin location and adjust accordingly.

After I do a "real" mount (and after any questions/comments/mods), I'll post this to the paper templates thread.

Here's a photo of the test mount, showing the heel spacer inserted behind the heel:

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Shit those are hot bindings. My Crest 10's are stuck in customs......anybody know a guy in US Customs in San Fran? Need to expedite so I can get out touring.

Mounting tip ...

If you drop a screw, and after crawling all around the floor in search of it, you come up empty, check the magnetic flippy risers. Ask me how I know ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-15-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    Galibier Design

don't look for the screw

just look at the floor or carpet

and you will see the screw

done it literaly thousands of times
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    don't look for the screw

just look at the floor or carpet

and you will see the screw

done it literaly thousands of times
    Yeah, I've moved a ton of crap in search of screws. They all eventually show up (sometimes after you found a replacement).

I let it go, and while cleaning the workbench, there it was - stuck to one of the magnetic, flippy risers.

Now, 8 months later, I'm still looking for the collet on a laminate trimmer, but that's another story ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I was waiting for the "aqua seal on the end of a stick finds it everytime"

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I was waiting for the "aqua seal on the end of a stick finds it everytime"

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    To be followed by Aqua Seal to repair sex toys.
    Galibier Design

I’ll keep an eye out for your template before mounting my girlfriend ]
    wow you dentists use a template to mount anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Here's a photo of the test mount, showing the heel spacer inserted behind the heel
    Any chance of a photo of the binding with the risers flipped into place with the heel turret in ski mode? Looks like there's only one riser position without rotating the heels.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Any chance of a photo of the binding with the risers flipped into place with the heel turret in ski mode? Looks like there's only one riser position without rotating the heels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1576475004.154272.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	306333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1576475058.146985.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	306334

FWIW, I’ve been comfortable skinning 1800ft at the resort at that height. Really amazing to transition without taking the ski off!

I'll mount them by mid-week. The epoxy/fiberglass plugs are curing overnight.

Yup, there's only one riser position with pins forward. It's the flippy covering the pins (rando race binding style). For reference, I'm calling this "low-medium".

In total there are 3 riser heights: low-medium (pins forward), flat, and high-medium (the last two with the heel rotated 180 degrees).

Best I can tell, the "high-medium" is about 13mm less height than my Vipecs' high position.

It's tough to measure this unmounted, however. After I mount them, I'll quantify this more accurately.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-16-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    Galibier Design

Here ya go (all three climbing positions):

Ranndo race style (low-medium - flipper over pins):

Rotated 180 degrees (high-medium):

Rotated 180 degrees (flat):

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Do you get much heel lockup in flat mode? Not much of a gap

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Do you get much heel lockup in flat mode? Not much of a gap
    I guess I'll find out soon enough. I just mounted them. It looks like about 2mm of space.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I guess I'll find out soon enough. I just mounted them. It looks like about 2mm of space.

... Thom
    It's about the same on the Plum Oazos I mounted earlier this month. I was concerned about the flat mode as it's not considered legit my Plum but so far I haven't had issues with the heel catching. The rotation is so stiff I doubt I'll ever get the heel piece spinning on its own either.
    Hopefully it's the same for the Helios, it's not the end of the world to live without a true flat mode but it sure is nice for long slogs.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has dropped a binding mounting screw and then proceeded to fumble around looking for it!

For anyone who really wants to get into mounting these bindings, this jig is so far beyond anything I've ever used previously:
    https://www.haganskimountaineering.c...5-mounting-jig

I also recently mounted up one of these for the first time:
    https://www.haganskimountaineering.c...r-core-binding
    A few especially nice features:
    1. Clicks into the heel unit very easily.
    2. Much wider than a more simple "stomp" pad.
    3. Integrates a laterally gliding feature for reduced friction in a lateral release.
    4. Adjustable height.
    No idea though whether it has any sort of noticeable effect when skiing.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I've been using the spacer for years, both with an ATK freeraider and with a speed radical. For those who doubt its use, insert a boot into a speed radical (or similar binding where the boot just hangs on the rear pins, ie. no brake pad) and move the boot laterally while holding the ski flat to your workbench. The amount of lateral play is significant. Now imagine what that does to your skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I've been using the spacer for years, both with an ATK freeraider and with a speed radical. For those who doubt its use, insert a boot into a speed radical (or similar binding where the boot just hangs on the rear pins, ie. no brake pad) and move the boot laterally while holding the ski flat to your workbench. The amount of lateral play is significant. Now imagine what that does to your skiing.
    So the spacer is in firm contact with your boot sole such that the friction limits lateral movement on the rear binding pins to a noticeable extent while skiing?

Can the freeride spacer be installed after the binding is mounted or does it need to go on during the original mount (without having to unscrew anything)?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    So the spacer is in firm contact with your boot sole such that the friction limits lateral movement on the rear binding pins to a noticeable extent while skiing?
    yeah, I thought spacers/stomp pads were for vertical support, not to add some weird lateral friction to the system.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    yeah, I thought spacers/stomp pads were for vertical support, not to add some weird lateral friction to the system.
    Ya mean as in ... stomp? That was my impression as well.

I can't envision inhibiting lateral release being part of the pad's design.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Can the freeride spacer be installed after the binding is mounted or does it need to go on during the original mount (without having to unscrew anything)?
    The former.