Mammut Spindrift Backpacks

The new Mammut Spindrift backpacks look really cool. I played around with the 26 and there's a TON of functionality added to it. The 14 looks like a light-n-fast pack too, but it only weighs 100 grams less than the 26 and gives up a lot of space, so probably a specialty pack. It'd be nice to see diagonal ski carry on both sides of the 26, as well as A-frame, but I may play around with it and see if I can rig something up that would work. It has enough places to attach voile straps to maybe make something work.

I picked up Spindrift 32 for an everyday touring pack this year and am really digging it so far. It has ALL the features (except maybe diagonal carry with a helmet attached...don't think that will work but I haven't tried).

It's a bit weird to have to whip open 2 zippers to get to your avy gear, but it does a good job of keeping it separate from the rest of the crap I keep in there.

If you're looking for a light pack, check out the Ortovox Trace. That shit is super minimalist.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    I picked up Spindrift 32 ... It's a bit weird to have to whip open 2 zippers to get to your avy gear, but it does a good job of keeping it separate from the rest of the crap I keep in there.
    Interesting. The smaller packs don’t have that problem.

I have 26 and love it. Big side pockets are so nice, I can have snacks and water on other side and tools&stuff on other. Newer small packing skins would probably fit in there too without problems when you're looping treeskiing. No need take the pack of when changing to ski mode.

Lähetetty minun FIG-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I've been geeking out on these lately. The 25L Upslope from Thule is very similar in style but they have some notable differences:

- Thule has a slightly wider cut back panel than the Mammut. I preferred the Thule.
    - No backpanel access on the Thule, just a 3/4 zip on the side
    - Avy tool pocket is larger on the Thule and more usable IMO
    - Cool hip pockets are very similar but I think the Thule's are slightly larger and zippers work better
    - Thule is airbag compatible, which is a negative for me, as I don't use an airbag with packs of this size
    - Thule hip belt is somewhat annoying heavy duty avy clasp, Mammut is standard buckle.
    - Thule has innovative ski/axe carry system, 1 per side. Mammut has more traditional axe carry (better I think).
    - Cool underpack helmet carry option on the Thule. Nice for helmet + skis on pack (rare scenario, but sometimes handy).

Overall I liked the fit and finish of the Thule better. The Mammut felt a little chinsy for some reason, and the narrower fit was less appealing (and I'm skinny). If the Thule was made in a non-airbag version it'd be the clear winner for me. As is I'm not sure if the weight penalty and less efficient use of space in the main compartment are workable.

Ski carry for Thule only looks like it's one sided? Plus the attachment points up high looks bad for carrying? It's pretty far from the shoulder straps.

Extra lb and no zippered back panel makes it less interesting to me. The clasp would be a bit annoying too. I do like the bottom carry for the helmet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    It has enough places to attach voile straps to maybe make something work.
    I like the daisy chains. Gives you a lot of options.