Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Laterally offset binding mount on Wide skis = The next big thing since parabolics

Why isn't this a thing..It actually works. Probably.....

Take your giant pow skis, and bias the binding mount towards the inside edge. That would make the gap from binding to inside edge similar to a narrow ski, while increasing the gap to the outside edge that is not critical. It makes them ski on hard-pack like a much narrower ski, but still float through the pow. Maybe.

It makes as much sense as Elan's ripstick with camber on the inside and all rocker on the outside, I suppose...

Trademark/patent pending/ you heard it hear first if it works...

You go 1st.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Um, welcome to the early/mid 90s.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Pow plus deja vous

The ignorant are doomed to repeat history...again.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

This “feature” was largely disregarded when drilling.
    Name:  C8BE8D2D-E6FB-423F-AC97-F431014B94D6.jpeg
Views: 1735
Size:  41.7 KB

Two years late t the show, but maybe there is prospect that it works? I am intrigued....

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...nt-on-pow-skis

sounds squirrely

1994 called, they want their idea back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Laterally offset binding mount on Wide skis = The next big thing since parabolics

Here’s some science coming atcha. First off you’re more likely to rip out or break the bindings. You are placing extra torque every time your outside edges engage, and since more weight biases on the inside of the ski, they would constantly be trying to come together or move apart, depending on the snow surface and movement pattern.

It would also hurt the shit out of your knees/ankles.

If you can’t ski a normal mount on a wide ski, your legs are probably too close together. I’ve never had issues with ski dimensions up to 160mm.

Basically no... shit don’t work.

Back in the 90's I ski a week with CMH on Atomic Fat Boys with a 115 mm waist and offset bindings. I now ski a pair of Icelantic Keepers with a 117 waist and center mount bindings. I can see no advantage to offsetting the bindings on fat skis. I do remember having a laugh years ago seeing a guy in the lift line at Snowbird with the Fat Boys on the wrong feet. Always wondered how they'd ski that way.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Here’s some science coming atcha. First off you’re more likely to rip out or break the bindings. You are placing extra torque every time your outside edges engage, and since more weight biases on the inside of the ski, they would constantly be trying to come together or move apart, depending on the snow surface and movement pattern.

It would also hurt the shit out of your knees/ankles.

If you can’t ski a normal mount on a wide ski, your legs are probably too close together. I’ve never had issues with ski dimensions up to 160mm.

Basically no... shit don’t work.
    But what if you want to ski like Stein?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Back in the 90's I ski a week with CMH on Atomic Fat Boys with a 115 mm waist and offset bindings. I now ski a pair of Icelantic Keepers with a 117 waist and center mount bindings. I can see no advantage to offsetting the bindings on fat skis. I do remember having a laugh years ago seeing a guy in the lift line at Snowbird with the Fat Boys on the wrong feet. Always wondered how they'd ski that way.
    Like riding a horse.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Skied a pair of Atomic Powder Plusses mounted like that back in 1996. Think the only advantage is if you are used to skiing with your feet really close together you bang your inner edges together less.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    First off you’re more likely to rip out or break the bindings. You are placing extra torque every time your outside edges engage, and since more weight biases on the inside of the ski, they would constantly be trying to come together or move apart, depending on the snow surface and movement pattern.

It would also hurt the shit out of your knees/ankles..
    I worked as a ski shop grunt at Weigele's in '94. Primary rental skis were the Atomic fat boy powder pluses, all with offset bindings.

No binding pullouts.

They skied just fine. Different, but after a coupla turns, brain/body adapted and it was just normal feeling. There was no weirdness of skis wandering or strange sensations. Just plain old normal pow skiing.
    Master of mediocrity.

I had a pair of axioms back in the day and when I got them they were mounted offset. I later switched the binding and had them remounted center but they did rip some groom and crud offset just watch out for that gigantic uphill edge, definitely worked best with very one footed skiing
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Someone try it on a pair of Swiss cheese skis. Offset enough and you’ll miss the old holes.

I had a thought wondering what it would be like to mount the bindings on a monoboard angled with a front and back instead if side by side straight so I could ride it like a surfboard or snowboard.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Better go duck foot mount as well, just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Um, welcome to the early/mid 90s.
    Maybe it’s like biopace and was almost right, but so wrong—need those binding offset to the outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I had a thought wondering what it would be like to mount the bindings on a monoboard angled with a front and back instead if side by side straight so I could ride it like a surfboard or snowboard.
    Another idea from the past. It’s called teleboard
    Like offset bindings only more hippy stinky
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    Better go duck foot mount as well, just to be sure.
    Hendryx appears to still exist in some form or another

This could help resolve some hole conflict issues for skis with a lot of mounts...

Better yet, get people to mount their skis offset. Hate them. Then pick them up cheap on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I do remember having a laugh years ago seeing a guy in the lift line at Snowbird with the Fat Boys on the wrong feet. Always wondered how they'd ski that way.
    Like a Nascar car going round the track clockwise.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Trademark/patent pending/ you heard it hear first if it works...
    Prior art, patent declined. Nice try

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Like a Nascar car going round the track clockwise.
    That's how NASCAR does it for its Southern Hemisphere tour