Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    A few thoughts...

Single data point - We are currently having to replace an otherwise perfectly good AED because the batteries are no longer available. The new one we are looking at uses non proprietary batteries.

The AEDs I am familiar with do not get recharged. The battery is a one time use thing and then you replace it. Pads are an ongoing expense to replace.

SKEDs are great for carrying up the hill, then suck for skiing with a patient. You have time to haul a proper rig up before hand? It will make it way easier to get the injured patient down, and they will be in better shape...

CPR in a toboggan is not very safe, practical or effective. My training is transport for 2 minutes, CPR for 2 minutes etc.

If you insurance doesn't require it, and you already have access to ski patrol / ems, then why do you want to wade into the world of AED's?

Realistically, along a linear route, with challenging access...is the AED ever going to be close to the patient?

I would focus on developing a plan for timely extraction, and spend money on equipment that facilitate transporting injured participants to higher levels of medical care (AED's included).
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    If you insurance doesn't require it, and you already have access to ski patrol / ems, then why do you want to wade into the world of AED's?

Realistically, along a linear route, with challenging access...is the AED ever going to be close to the patient?

I would focus on developing a plan for timely extraction, and spend money on equipment that facilitate transporting injured participants to higher levels of medical care (AED's included).
    Because if they are in a shockable rhythm cpr won’t convert them AEDs are basic care these days little kids can use them
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post

CPR in a toboggan is not very safe, practical or effective. My training is transport for 2 minutes, CPR for 2 minutes etc.
    I mean a cascade gives you a nice platform to work on a patient moving or nor, the sked is meh because it wraps around the patient, especially if they are small.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

That's my take, why delay transport to mess with an aed when you can get them off. And focusing on fast evacuation will help all the other situations aren't focused on a cardiac event.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Think I'd skip used...

I think I'd skip a used AED off Ebay. Buying from a reputable AED retailer like AED Superstore or Heartsmart AED might be different, but there's too many questions associated with how well it will work and the liability to take that risk. I thought that original article you shared had some good points regarding the potential risks of buying a used AED. Hopefully it's never used...but if it needed to be, you want it to work right and not open you to unnecessary liability.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    I mean a cascade gives you a nice platform to work on a patient moving or nor, the sked is meh because it wraps around the patient, especially if they are small.

That's my take, why delay transport to mess with an aed when you can get them off. And focusing on fast evacuation will help all the other situations aren't focused on a cardiac event.
    Specifically for a cardiac event, delaying transport to try the AED is going to be the best option by a significant margin. Meaningful recovery from a prehospital arrest is slim enough before you even get into prolonged transport times and subpar CPR (such as on a sled). Your only real hope is to fix the problem.

Trauma is another story.

Buying a used AED on ebay for use is fucking nuts. Those things are THRASHED by the time we are done using them on patients, at which point we use them for training until they get even worse. In general, safety gear is probably the worst time to buy used, skimp, or bootleg.

Edit: fell for an old ass bump. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    [...] Sorry.
    Hardly any need to apologize -- some helpful thought-provoking info in there, thanks.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    Specifically for a cardiac event, delaying transport to try the AED is going to be the best option by a significant margin. Meaningful recovery from a prehospital arrest is slim enough before you even get into prolonged transport times and subpar CPR (such as on a sled). Your only real hope is to fix the problem.

Trauma is another story.

Buying a used AED on ebay for use is fucking nuts. Those things are THRASHED by the time we are done using them on patients, at which point we use them for training until they get even worse. In general, safety gear is probably the worst time to buy used, skimp, or bootleg.

Edit: fell for an old ass bump. Sorry.
    I don’t know what you are doing to an AED to thrash it, all the ones I’ve used are well cared for pieces of life saving equipment that are built fairly robust to begin with. Aside from turning it on, attaching the pads, plugging them in, maybe press to analyze and press to shock.
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I don’t know what you are doing to an AED to thrash it, all the ones I’ve used are well cared for pieces of life saving equipment that are built fairly robust to begin with. Aside from turning it on, attaching the pads, plugging them in, maybe press to analyze and press to shock.
    Long service life and frequent use.

In fairness, most of mine are proper monitors for crash-carts not the little kind that just sit in a closet. The latter kind do tend to get beat up the worst in training sessions.

Wife really wants to get one for our raft. Talk about a delay if someone has an event. I have epi to make a ghetto drip, vial of nitro, metoprolol….guess it makes sense. Probably have enough lido to conjure an infusion….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Wife really wants to get one for our raft. Talk about a delay if someone has an event. I have epi to make a ghetto drip, vial of nitro, metoprolol….guess it makes sense. Probably have enough lido to conjure an infusion….

You can get a refurbished Phillips FR3 for under a grand put it a pelican case, pretty much anyone can operate it from children on up, if Uncle Bob has the big one on a rafting trip a defibrillator can save his life but you should keep up on your CPR skills as well since it goes hand in hand and if you or your wife knows how to use a airway device throw a set in

Buying a used AED?

I’m an anesthesiologist and wife is an internist. Got that covered. I have laryngoscopes blades, ett’s lma’s and nasal/oral airways plus a small bottle of oxygen. Rangers once asked to see our Med kit and they were blown away

I’m an anesthesiologist and wife is an internist. Got that covered. I have laryngoscopes blades, ett’s lma’s and nasal/oral airways plus a small bottle of oxygen. Rangers once asked to see our Med kit and they were blown away

What size tubes you carry? Also, Mac and miller’s?

That’s incredible! Here I was thinking I was going a little overboard with some of my hemorrhage supplies…

I have miller 1 and 2, Mac 3.5

Only a 4 cuffed and a 6.5 cuffed

I have miller 1 and 2, Mac 3.5

Only a 4 cuffed and a 6.5 cuffed

Nice, that’s a solid compliment.