Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Nordic Nerds Untie

no regerts

my first ski patrol job was at Royal Gorge in 1992 - I was just learning about backcountry skiing

then I spent 20 years working in the backcountry and patrolling

all of a sudden Im patrolling a mountain AND working at a xc centre

I really enjoyed my first day on skinny skis on 10 years

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	305562

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	305563

Im gonna try skating this week

Im just glad I can wear tights.

anyone else cruising nordic trails?

I've been shopping for some used skating gear the last week. The plan is to smash some k's on the local trails before work when I can.

Will report back when it happens.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Looks like you wisely chose to forego the spandex.

Some eye candy from my happy place

Name:	blue view.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	305566

Name:	easter granite view.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	305567
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

^^ Looks like paradise.

::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Wanted to scratch up my rock sticks the other day but did chores instead. Bad pick as it rained the next day so my skinny ski day will have to wait.

soon
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Way to go Ladies! Golds next! I 've known Rosie Brennan since she was a kid.
    Last edited by new yabyum; 12-10-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Looks like you wisely chose to forego the spandex.
    if your comfortable in spandex it doesn't matter if everyone else is uncomfortable with your choice
    some guys just look better in spandex than others

Can't believe I'm admitting this: I Moved back to VT the other year to raise my family and am no longer getting in my 100 days skiing, so I picked up skate skiing as a way to maintain my sanity and unwind, and i really fell in love with it. It gets me outside, gets my heart going and mimics ski movements so When I Do get back on downhill skis I feel connected and in shape.
    If you only have a Hr or two it's plenty of exercise but I love getting the time to go out and haul off 12-15 miles till I'm spent.
    Best part about skate skiing is you already will have skate boots for a pair of nordic skates which are a blast as Well

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

nicely rationalized.....

Hows your V2? One of the hardest things I ever mastered on skis is the V2. Need to get back into Nordic. I worked at Waterville Valley Nordic for a bunch of years back in the 90s. It was awesome.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Chiming in as I'm pretty hooked. Splitboarding was a gateway drug to skinny skis for me. Picked it up again a few seasons ago for the first time since i was a wee lad. Mountreal is really good for nordorking, if you ever have to be here in the winter. Some great trails up on Mount Royal with some pretty gnar downhill pitches. Just takes a little while for the snow to pile up enough in town. Like MPPG said, a great way to get out for a rip if you only have a short window of time and it really contributes to improving my touring. Also provides good access to powsurfing stashes.
    24 06

Raced in high school. We were the only public school team in CT, so... State Champs every year.
    We would pile into a bus at 4 am and bus it up to southern VT. Totally awesome times. We sucked so bad.
    The only race I came in top 10 was a Traditional race. I got poles that were way too big for me (probably illegal), and I poled the whole course. I think I might have kicked for the first minute until the kick wax was gone. I just power poled the whole thing, and since the other kids I was racing against were all like 130 lbs soaking wet, I beat most of them. Came in 7th I think.
    I miss it. The quiet and the cadence were always my favorite. The torture of racing X-C is not missed.

I used to skate a fair bit at Royal Gorge back when it was in Tahoe Donner. Fun place.

Berkenbeiner!

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Raced in high school. We were the only public school team in CT, so... State Champs every year.
    Well played humblebrag.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Nordic Nerds Untie

If you want a forest service road to feel like a Colorado headwall, put on 44mm wide edgeless skis and low boots.

I'm a Nord. Always will be. Luv it. I've averaged 25 days a season on XC skis the past 35 years. I was forced to stop skating a few years ago when my right vestibule was removed, so it's all classic for me now.

Yeah, the best American women are among the best in the world now, sparked by Kikkan and Jessie winning Olympic gold in 2018!

I'm Nordic ghay. Yup. Skate. It's right up there with rowing as being the hardest, most efficient workout. Also makes alpine skis feel a mile wide when you go back.

For sure. I enjoy skating, although I suck at it. But I absolutely love getting out for a Nordic tour and breaking trail. Its borderline hypnotic and I just settle into a zone.

Checking in as well. Not much improved my morale at work compared to getting a lunchtime skate ski in.

Having moved from japan, where Nordic trails are quite limited due to land use issues, to Vernon, which boasts one of the most developed trail networks in North America, I decided to get my first setup (classic) this weekend, which I pick it up today. I was also motivated by myttautumn of uphill bike riding, which I hadn’t much done before as I was more of a lift/shuttle guy. I didn’t want to let my hard won cardio improvements fade with winter.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Checking in as well. Not much improved my morale at work compared to getting a lunchtime skate ski in.
    You still using my old skis?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Started last year on hand me downs from my girlfriends parents, just ordered a full high end setup from Salomon. Skate mostly, a little classic. She and I head to the UP for Christmas so we'll be skiing a lot that week with her parents. We have an opportunity to take over a family run nordic center up there, so we're checking it out.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"