Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Skied craters of the moon at 5 deg. 20k 5 yr old. Never cried. Not once. Dayum.

Watch out now. Craters is cool af btw. Free. Skiing is free. Parking is free. Soak is free. Sweet. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191227_134845.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	310710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191228_140636.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	310711Name:  IMG_4324.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  55.9 KB

Slice of humble pie coming.

Soli Nordic sucks btw.

20k at 5 is strong. We visited the CoM this summer. Never thought of them getting much snow.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Soli Nordic sucks btw.
    Soli Nordic sucks btw.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200114_111628.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	310717

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    20k at 5 is strong. We visited the CoM this summer. Never thought of them getting much snow.
    When it's there it's their. They're.

Blizzard mtn, cool place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191229_100331.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	310718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191229_100248.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	310719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191229_095251.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	310720

You're telling me. I've banged then flushed PhD slots that couldn't ride a bike five mi wo crying. Ha

Sweet stuff!

Hoping winter comes back soon so I can at least go tear up my bases on something white ish.
    watch out for snakes

This is where i did my first ever skate ski, hungover as hell. That was a kick in the nuts.
    Don't bother with the basin loop in Kimball, I don't love it, short, steep AF, mostly off camber.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Wifey and I are planning spend some time in Winthrop, WA and get into XC skiing this winter. For downhill, I usually have bought used skis and new boots. Still an ok approach for classic XC skis? Thinking something like the Rossi Evo so we can tour around off piste or the groomed track depending on the day.

Used skis was my approach in regards to skate skis. If you make it to Winthrop prior to purchasing skis check out Winthrop Mountain Sports. The shop is pretty crowded and challenging to navigate but they have a good breadth of new skis to try. I believe they also have a demo program. There is also marked down skis and boots upstairs. Let me know if you've got other Winthrop questions.

^^^ Contact also for info and deals, etc.
    http://www.nordicultratune.com
    https://www.methowcyclesport.com
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Soli Nordic sucks btw.
    fake news. I like the nordic tracks at Solitude.

Grooming is good. When my kid was 4 I pulled him in a pulk on the Olympic course in Lake Placid. I asked the patroller if I should stay off of the set tracks. He said not to worry, go ahead. They set the tracks with a machine that worked like a Zamboni. It scooped snow up at the front, melted it a bit and packed it down and grooved it as the snow went out the back. Grooves were like mini bobsled tracks.

I made my own snow packer once. It packed the snow down ok but worked much better as a fitness tool. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	groomer.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	310789

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Wifey and I are planning spend some time in Winthrop, WA and get into XC skiing this winter. For downhill, I usually have bought used skis and new boots. Still an ok approach for classic XC skis? Thinking something like the Rossi Evo so we can tour around off piste or the groomed track depending on the day.
    sure but its harder

I buy used gear but i used to hang around a good xc area so I know a little bit of shit, its hard to find the right gear when you don't know what you don't know, I've seen a roomie bring home skate skis and classic boots hoping to go skate skiing

IME its hard to find a specific piece of gear cuz XC is not like Alpine skiing where you have only DIN standard of ski bindings, the boots have NNN and SNS standards and there might be even more since I quit paying attention

So you buy the new boots but then they don't fit the skis binding on the used setup you wana buy, maybe you buy the right size ski but the binding is wrong or you have to buy a certain boot to fit a binding which is wrong for your foot, maybe the ski is wrong size/flex which means maybe the ski will be short/slow or too long stiff/grip ????

Looking at the XC swaps it been looking to me like a whole bunch of people want to go XC skiing and there is less and less used product at ski swaps SO maybe you look around a bit and either buy the wrong gear

or end up buying new form somebody who can set you up right
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Used skis and new boots is a pretty great way to get it to XC. As XXX-er said it is a little harder, but very doable. The Rossi Evo is a great option for a lot of skiers. The size chart, based on weight, is pretty straightforward. The main thing to pay attention to is making sure the type of bindings you get fit your boots. There are 3 types of xc bindings, NNN, SNS, and a beefier "BC" version of NNN geared towards more offpiste xc all would work well for the purposes you describe.

Also there are two types of classic skis "non waxable" with fishscales or built in skins underneath for traction or "waxable" where you have to apply grip wax specific to the snow conditions for each ski. Would highly recommend a non-waxable fishscale or ski ski for almost everyone as grip/kick waxing can be a pain.

Buy a used ski in the right size range and then take it into a shop to buy a pair of boots that fits you + the ski. Even a pretty incompetent shop would be hard pressed to mess that up.

The-house.com has pretty decent deals on Nordic gear:
    https://www.the-house.com/cross-coun...e.type=Touring

If you want to go beyond touring skis, unfortunately many/most new skate and classic skis come with some kind of binding plate glued to the ski. This makes mounting the correct binding very easy, but means you are stuck with whatever kind of binding the ski is built for. Okay if you're starting from scratch, but a real pain if you don't want to buy new boots with new skis.

If you can rent some gear from a store that has a policy where they will put the rental against the price of buying new gear that might be the smaert way to get the right gear for and IMO its really important in XC
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I was paging through my instructors manual and saw a good skill to have that I don't see being used. Last year I was able to straight line my skinny skis down 300' of polished blue vert on my way from the XC trails to the bar. Did a perfect sitzstop when I got to some soft snow.

Name:	KIMG1927.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	794.8 KB 
ID:	311135

Name:	IMG_7813.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	311484

real nice day to be in the woods today
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Dang. Thatís all thatís right with the world. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish I could find more classic groomed single track like that at the local Nordic centers. The obsession with wide skate trails is lame...

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    I really wish I could find more classic groomed single track like that at the local Nordic centers. The obsession with wide skate trails is lame...

Even the classic only XC center in my former home town cut their first skate trail in 40 years.

I was paging through my instructors manual and saw a good skill to have that I don't see being used. Last year I was able to straight line my skinny skis down 300' of polished blue vert on my way from the XC trails to the bar. Did a perfect sitzstop when I got to some soft snow.

Name:	KIMG1927.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	794.8 KB 
ID:	311135
    RIP Sonny Bono
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    The obsession with wide skate trails islame.
    Sure.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda