Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Headlamp, cougars are nocturnal.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

FWIW, I used to practice my kick and glide by touring at night in the dark to practice the "How 'to's" that I was reading . Definitely accelerated my learning curve to gain a fine motor muscle feel..
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Skate. It's Faster, better glide, better exercise. classic kinda sucks if you're already a proficient skater due to years of practice from DH skiing. Classic is what I do when The GF joins me. And like I mentioned up-post if you get the skate ski boots it's a small additional investment to add Nordic skates to play out on the ice

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    I agree. Skating is far more fun, but you need to be very fit to really enjoy it. Classic can be fun also if you're real fit, but it never feels as good as skating. Classic is easier for lower fitness.

itís fkn skiing you nerds

itís all fun

If you have no skate technique, youíre fucking flailing. If you have no kick-and-glide technique, you can walk on your skis and still enjoy a lovely day outside. I see old ladies doing this all the time. IMO, a lot of skate skiingís reputation for being harder or a better workout than classic comes from this. Once you have the techniques down, skate gives you a little more glide and a longer rest beat in the rhythm.

Iíve been refining my skate technique along the Alta surface tow for years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fitness

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoDaddy!.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	305926

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    If you have no skate technique, you’re fucking flailing. If you have no kick-and-glide technique, you can walk on your skis and still enjoy a lovely day outside. I see old ladies doing this all the time. IMO, a lot of skate skiing’s reputation for being harder or a better workout than classic comes from this. Once you have the techniques down, skate gives you a little more glide and a longer rest beat in the rhythm.
    Yeah, I agree. Getting that looooong gliiiide esp. V2 takes a while to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    I agree. Skating is far more fun, but you need to be very fit to really enjoy it. Classic can be fun also if you're real fit, but it never feels as good as skating. Classic is easier for lower fitness.
    No wonder I prefer classic.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

FWIW, although it's irrelevant to a loppetplodder like me, I've heard more than one national class XC ski racer opine that elite level classic technique is more difficult to achieve than elite level skate technique.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    FWIW, although it's irrelevant to a loppetplodder like me, I've heard more than one national class XC ski racer opine that elite level classic technique is more difficult to achieve than elite level skate technique.
    Fact.

Funny. Thats what my acupuncturist said. She was a US Ski Team racer and still coaches. I was confused, because Iíd always heard skating was harder, but I guess elite level classic is like cooking an awesome meal with few ingredients: seems simple but ya gotta do it perfectly. Errors are amplified.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Classic is easier to start with (if you can walk, you can probably shuffle along in the track), but harder to do really well. There is also a continuum of possible exertion from barely moving to full on sprint. Skating requires a bit of technique to get started, and thereís no really low gear in skating (you need to go fast enough to keep gliding or it gets much harder) so it's more difficult for less fit people.

The two techniques are complementary: when trail conditions are bad for classic (hard and icy), they can actually be very good for skating, and vice versa.

Buttahflake

could you please do us all a favor?

donít be your usual asshole self - settle down a bit

just let people enjoy nordic nerding without being a fucking dick all the time

please?

Nordic Nerds Untie

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Buttahflake

could you please do us all a favor?

donít be your usual asshole self - settle down a bit

just let people enjoy nordic nerding without being a fucking dick all the time

please?
    What did I do? Are you drinking again, fuckface? Seriously guy, untie brah.
    Take a lap fat boy

And for sure, classic is way harder than skate. I canít poke and stroke, just canít do it. Way too much technique involved. I skate only.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    That was FKNA AWESOME!
    watch out for snakes

Seems that the nordy thing is really a combo of all of the above techniques. I blandly recall trying to skate on my XCD Carwho skis back a boot 40 years ago and feeling like, Oh ya, this is hard.

Not to mention they were double chambered leaf springs made from the finest fiberglass and plastic with Rainey sooperloops for bindings.

Then decades later doing a Randy French Pissafisaong course we had to do skating on, gulp, skating gear. Then me be, oh hey, not so bad if you do it rite.

Having fully embraced my Clydesdale physic and molded my ballerina like athletic abilities into a hybird technique of what ever works to get me there with out flailing too much has been interesting.

Forecast is for snae on the marrow so I may go out into the wilderness yet again to practice my unique style and slide about on the frozen whitey white in the bosom of mother nature.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Fitness

Had to do a double take to make sure that wasn't my dad, he would have had his army issue glasses though. I haven't been on XC skis since state finals in 85 where I was coughing up blood, so the caption is awesome. I still taste blood if I think about XC.

This thread as me thinking it's about time to get back on a set. Brings back all the fun parts of XC. Only raced 2 years but it ended up taking the joy out of what was a fun sport.

And the obligatory back in my day rant, there were no seperate categories of traditional or skate. Kick and glide the flats, skate up the hills, and tuck and pray the downhills.

I still have a couple sets of those bamboo poles. I break them out with my floppy leather Merrills and the Asnes woodies.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Fitness

Dad ponders how he used to enjoy life as the midget exercises its super powers of defecation, simultaneously staining the carrier and Dads circa 70s down jacket.
    watch out for snakes

gotta luv wooley's Tonkin bamboo poles

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Clydesdale physic [sic]
    physique? Fun fact: All my classic track skis are Clydesdale-rated. My new skin skis are rated for a skier weighing 105-115 kg (231-254 lbs.)

I've heard the same thing from buddy who had been to the Olympics for xc
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

These days the classic racers seem to double poll almost exclusively. No more technique no more wax patterns.

At least that's how it was explained to me this morning by a elite level racer colleague of mine.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

gotta luv wooley's Tonkin bamboo poles

physique? Fun fact: All my classic track skis are Clydesdale-rated. My new skin skis are rated for a skier weighing 105-115 kg (231-254 lbs.)
    I still have and use the poles. Still have the skis too. Made into a bench.

Name:	DSCN1789.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	905.9 KB 
ID:	306030