Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ^^^^
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    .......My 4 legged personal trainer decides when we go and where. Usually, predawn...like now:
    And gets me out for many 'Moments of Zen' like this AM:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7974.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	305768
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    New! SkiScribe Centering Tool

Picked up some Rossignol BC skis at goodwill this summer for $8. I have a golf course connecting to a state park down the street here in Meyers. Just waiting for my boots to arrive from Amazon to get started.

Does Fischer still make the JibSkate ski?

What is that system called?
    skin skis

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    It's 1980 all over again.
    Nope. Skins are more recessed and very different camber pattern this time. Race skin skis have very short super stiff skin pocket, stiff pocket like a klister full race ski but much shorter pocket. Fitness/hobby/citizen race level skin skis are a bit detuned vs. full race, but way stiffer and shorter pocket than anything from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I got to ski the Hog Loppet once before it died. Lift ride to drop 3000 feet over 30k with 300 nordic skiers.
    I did it 4 times, event cancelled my 5th time. Super fun event. Sad that they killed it after it got called off a few times for high winds. One year, it was -10F at the top when we started. The aid stations with hot soup and campfire were great.

A couple years after the Hog Loppet was killed, a substitute event, the Moose Dewlap, was started at the Lake Wenatchee XC trails. Two full loops was 40K+. Fun event but not enough participants so they killed it after 2 years.

I have some Rossi bc skis I picked up years ago that I used around here. The pups enjoy it. We mix it up with snowshoes sometimes.

Name:  brek trail.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  144.3 KB
    Name:  xc dogs.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  112.1 KB

Or, I'll head over to Harriman Park for some groomed trails along the river.

Name:  harriman.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  108.8 KB

Yeah! But are they 'trained' to break trail? (She can't stand being behind and needs to lead.) My 4 legged personal trainer decides when we go and where. Usually, predawn...like now:

Attachment 305760
    Quit skiing the posthole track!!!

I got a bunch of xc gear form when I was more active at an area that was the only easy to get to skiing down east but I started doing way more AT and since its pretty easy to do either here I never really got back to the xc area but I might so 3 pair of boots 5pair skis sit in my closet

GF & I walk around on old fishscales with the dogs and thats fun
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Quit skiing the posthole track!!!
    Ha! That's nothing. Some days it's like "If I didn't have any bad love, I wouldn't have any love at all", when this crew camps out, poops and walks all over the place:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	305799
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Great thread. I just ordered a pair of X-stiff skin skis, hoping Honey doesn't notice.

bought a pair of skin skis last year, I was at least 5kg under the top end of the "weight range" and found them to be much slower than the Fischer superlight crowns (which are awesome BTW!) I was using so I sold them. I think I'm going to have to try something before I buy...

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    bought a pair of skin skis last year, I was at least 5kg under the top end of the "weight range" and found them to be much slower than the Fischer superlight crowns (which are awesome BTW!)
    Slower in what conditions? The consensus is that (assuming proper fitting and same width and base) skin skis are faster on icy or very firm tracks but slower on soft tracks compared to scales. Skin skis have gotten faster in the past couple years as manufacturers figure out the ideal camber strategy. People have won races on skin skis.

Yeah, properly fitted Superlight Crowns are fun zippy skis, more stable but slower than RCS Crowns. My RCS Crowns and Superlight Crowns are super stiff. It's fun to watch my lighter buds try to flatten them.

I just moved up to Ketchum this fall, and I dont have an SV pass - so Im taking the Nordic plunge. Shall I go skate or classic? Is there a boot I could do both with? I like the idea of skating for fitness, but would like to do some boondocking in the woods too.
    Thoughts? Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Shall I go skate or classic? Is there a boot I could do both with? I like the idea of skating for fitness, but would like to do some boondocking in the woods too.
    Apples v. oranges. Both are tasty. Both are great aerobic workouts. Maybe try both with borrowed or rental gear before buying.

Not sure what you mean by "boondocking," but a classic ski like a Fischer Superlight can be fun in groomed tracks and scooting around in town.

I often ski classic in my skate boots with the ankle strap loosened on flatter courses. With a tight ankle strap, a skate boot is nice on classic skis on a hilly course.

Galena Pass XC trail system is excellent!

Skate. It's Faster, better glide, better exercise. classic kinda sucks if you're already a proficient skater due to years of practice from DH skiing. Classic is what I do when The GF joins me. And like I mentioned up-post if you get the skate ski boots it's a small additional investment to add Nordic skates to play out on the ice

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I just moved up to Ketchum this fall, and I don’t have an SV pass - so I’m taking the Nordic plunge. Shall I go skate or classic? Is there a boot I could do both with? I like the idea of skating for fitness, but would like to do some boondocking in the woods too.
    Thoughts? Ideas?

Skate skiing is to road biking as boondocking is to mountain biking. BCNN gear allows you to go anywhere. Skate skiing needs a firm, consistent & flat surface.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-11-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Skate.
    Also, you can prolly get a cheaper tromping-around set up that will work for you than a decent skate set up. If indeed all you want is a decent snow shoe replacement.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Great reminder that it's time to brew up a batch of glogg.
    My usual mix is 2L of red wine, 1 bottle port, 1/2 bottle of german brandy, with the usual cinnamon, cloves, orange, almonds and raisins, and a dash of honey.
    Ski, a cup or two of hot glogg, and a nice hot steam sauna. Stumble into a snowbank or a dunk in the creek, and the workout is complete. Wim Hoff eat your heart out.

IME. You can skate with classic skis. Waxable classic skis skate better than "waxless" skis. Skiing classic on a skate ski, not much fun. You really need to be on a wide packed trail. If you want to get fitter faster, use a wide ski with metal edges to get a workout.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

My buddies ex, hot little raven hair Basque, is the queen of the skate track in SV.
    Im sure hed appreciate you going in, with both skis on.

Linda and Katrina, the two hottest milfs from my college days, also hang there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    My buddies ex, hot little raven hair Basque, is the queen of the skate track in SV.
    Im sure hed appreciate you going in, with both skis on.

I just got invited to go up to Sun Valley with someone racing the Boulder Mountain Tour. They wanted me to come up to ski BC with.
    Just wondering were Linda and Katrina hot milfs when you were in college? Or are we talking present day?
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Man, my brother I used to do some crazy crap growing up on classic skis, including full on boxing matches on downhills, but I cannot even begin to imagine doing a flip on Nordic gear. Damn.
    Nailed my first 360 on x-c gear. We sucked so bad at the racing part, we would build a kicker, and do grabs and 360's and other tricks. The teams that just kicked our ass would all watch us do dumb shit off the kickers. I must have busted at least 2 skis over the 3 years I raced.
    I'll have to dig up some of the old photos. I think I have one of me jumping over my teammates doing a grab.

I just moved up to Ketchum this fall, and I don’t have an SV pass - so I’m taking the Nordic plunge. Shall I go skate or classic? Is there a boot I could do both with? I like the idea of skating for fitness, but would like to do some boondocking in the woods too.
    Thoughts? Ideas?

rent some gear and try both

thskate boot has a stiff sole while the classic boot is soft, the cuff on a combi boot comes off but then the sole isnt stiff, you can classic with a skate boot but its not really the same, you can skate with a classic boot but it won't have the stiff sole or supportive cuff ... you might end up with something that sucks for both

I will use a skate boot with fish scales skis for boonie type skiing but purists would cringe and shun me at the xc area
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

As mentioned above, skate skiing generally requires a groomed track. If you want to trounce around in the woods, Id recommend light, metal edged XCD style skis and NNN-BC boots and bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

pics?
    watch out for snakes

Rad. Thanks for the advice yall. I think Im gonna go with a skate set up for fitness and cougar hunting. Plenty of exploring to be done with my normal AT setup.