Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    A guy last year had a pair of classics with inlaid skins in the kick zone. I think you can swap them out or something. What is that system called?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    New! SkiScribe Centering Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    A guy last year had a pair of classics with inlaid skins in the kick zone. I think you can swap them out or something. What is that system called?
    I think you have it right, I heard them referred to as inlays. I also heard skin skis. Talked to a few folks who were on them last season, and they liked them. No fuss, no muss. Especially in the PNW were there's a lot of freeze/thaw and icey conditions.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I talked to some old timers that said they had those long ago. I do not recall if they were removable tho.
    watch out for snakes

Yea thatís what I was referring too. Have heard good things from a few people i ski with who use them.
    24į 06į

Does XCD count? I love noodling around on the local hiking/mountain biking trails for an hour or so after work when the snow allows.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    How do you all feel about xc with skins underfoot. Part of the appeal is dialing in the right wax for the right conditions, but the skins seems like a pretty sweet option for good grip and convenience and more reliable than fishscales. I've seen more and more people using them.
    I use kicker skins all the time for uphills short about 2 or 3 ft long, really nice but I think they fuck up the fish skills a bit using them all the time
    I go off roading with my xc skis all the time funny when I see some dork with the biggest backcountry pack and ski set up you can imagine suffering up some climb weighted down and all I have is my ski mo suit and fanny pack on
    on that note the dog is pacing madely time to go skiing do I wear my padded or unpadded spanedex tonight

and sure as hell chicks totally dig a guy who can xc ski

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Skin skis have become popular for classic racers on training days and hard-to-kick-wax race days, e.g., zero snow and some klister conditions. I have tried them a couple times on firm tracks with good results. I will know more in a few months because I'm in the market for a pair of citizen race (sometimes marketed "fitness) level classic skin skis. They will supplement my scale classic race skis (old pair of very stiff Fischer RCS Crowns) and waxable (stiffer-than-fuck Atomics I raced on a few times years ago that don't get much use these days).
    I saw some XC skis in the shop with thin skin strips in the kick zone. It's 1980 all over again. Personally, I toss a set of full skins into my pack for uphills when the waxless won't work and sliding snow shoes are called for.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

XCD has been so rewarding to me. Especially, but not only, to scratch the itch when a long way from ďrealĒ skiing.

I love lift riding but am also a full on nordork too
    we're super lucky in that they groom so much out here - and decent # of people in my neighborhood ride bikes or walk or xc ski into town to work in the winter
    the high school less than a mile from me keeps the lights on for a 1mile loop a couple nights a week and they used to allow dogs too until some @ssholes ruined it, but still a good set up for a quick burn
    I feel like skating is a little like biking- and then when you get the wind at your back on a sunny day- divine

Used to skate mostly but andrew got me some traditional xc skis last winter too and it's fun to explore around more too
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Thread title has me perplexed.
    Might as well have just posted

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Does XCD count? I love noodling around on the local hiking/mountain biking trails for an hour or so after work when the snow allows.
    Same. Thatís a hoot.

Have posted this before but if you are in any way interested in xc, sign up for the American Birkenbiener in Hayward, WI. Itís an awesome race, tough course and the people love xc skiing there. Everything from world class athletes to 85yr old guys skiing in wool knickers to people poling the entire 50k.

Looking forward to getting some laps there over the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nordic skier checking in. I can charge pretty hard on big stiff dh skis but when I got into xc I was really terrible. Big guy, poor balance, not in great shape. I've dedicated more time at advancing in xc sking than any other sport. (the gap between the confidence I had dh skiing vs xc skiing was a massive motivator) Have decent stamina now, still more trudging along than gliding, but as of last season finally got more comfortable on the downhills.

Besides that I absolutely love the peaceful tranquility you'll find on a quiet sunny day, mixed in with moments of sheer excitement.

My morning ski:

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

My morning ski:

Man, my brother I used to do some crazy crap growing up on classic skis, including full on boxing matches on downhills, but I cannot even begin to imagine doing a flip on Nordic gear. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    '92, 94 and 95 for me, maybe I was getting dusted by you speeding by? Only once the full distance, otherwise just the 30ish km. Great race, especially starting at -25C with temp dropping, and all the little ones taking part in the 3km loops.

And there's nothing like skiing around a corner and coming into the middle of a herd of bison in Elk Is park!

Elk Island was my oasis for the 2 years I spent at U of A. Moved there from the Slocan Valley and was overcome with urban induced melancholy. I would hit up Elk Island early Sunday Mornings and remember having to cough loudly to get the Bison to wake up up and get off the trail.

The Birkebeiner was loads of fun. My buddy and I weren't really nordic skiers but we were looking for an adventure so we signed up. The aid stations were loaded with all sorts of great food and I'm pretty sure I gained weight doing that race. Big pile up going down a steep hill. I think it was around 2002 so I did not pass you Mr. Hound. In fact, I don't think we passed anybody.

I got to ski the Hog Loppet once before it died. Lift ride to drop 3000 feet over 30k with 300 nordic skiers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2555.JPG.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	637.5 KB 
ID:	305747

Name:	100_2563.JPG.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	305748
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Nordic Nerds Untie

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Might as well have just posted

Are we supposed to unite? Or should we un-tie shoes?
    Laps beater.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Are we supposed to unite? Or should we un-tie shoes?
    Laps beater.
    I thought the thread was about a new (non) lacing system. Velcro? BOA? Or something new, something i donít even know about yet.

https://youtu.be/kWW-Tp2hkKg

Holding my breath whilst reading the thread.
    Hoping against hope I wouldn't have to enforce my moniker.
    Skate skiing is awesome, just don't drop a knee in MY mountain range.

Actually my better half skis only on freeheel gear, always has. She makes the most beautiful, solid telemark turns on her fishscales with edges imaginable and brings them where most bring an AT setup. I flounder in her wake...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

haha, pt duece

watch out for snakes

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1,015.9 KB 
ID:	305759

I love taking the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

I love taking the dogs.
    Yeah! But are they 'trained' to break trail? (She can't stand being behind and needs to lead.) My 4 legged personal trainer decides when we go and where. Usually, predawn...like now:

Name:	IMG_6069.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	305760
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com