Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    How do you all feel about xc with skins underfoot. Part of the appeal is dialing in the right wax for the right conditions, but the skins seems like a pretty sweet option for good grip and convenience and more reliable than fishscales. I've seen more and more people using them.
    24į 06į

Nordic Nerds Untie

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I'm Nordic ghay. Yup.
    Cool - I am Bi!

Or at least I used to be.

.. competed on the national and international level in Biathlon when I was younger. (Not a humble-brag, just a brag-brag)

If any of you have a chance - try it out. it’s an amazing sport.

Grew up skiing classic for months and months each (long) winter. Skate skied for some years out in Colorado as an adult. Finally gave it up - too many hobbies and too little time. Still have all my gear. My lovely wife is committed. The good stuff is about an hour away from us and she'll get in 40-50 days on skate gear this year, like normal for her.

I've rowed crew and skied classic and skate, as well as seriously trained and competed in track, cross country, mtn biking, cross and road cycling, soccer, tennis, swimming, basketball, wrestling and other stuff between my youth and adult years. I clearly need fewer hobbies. Been exposed to a lot of sports training, and minute for minute in my opinion the best workouts are rowing and skate skiing. It's amazing how much you can wreck yourself - totally awesome. I'm putting rowing slightly above skate skiing, because you can rest now and then skate skiing if you have good form, but rowing never lets up, ever.

Now you are making me want to dust off and wax up my gear...

I picked up skate skiing about two years ago and last year fully committed by getting my own gear. I was injured to start off last year and unable to downhill ski but able to skate ski so that aided in my conversion. Not only is it a great workout, but I love the rythmic nature of it. Plus its a perfect speed for "walking" my dog. It seemed very easy to pick up coming from a downhill skiing background and edgeless skis really make small hills exciting. It's also a great way to sneak in a good workout before or after work. I'm all about nordic skate skiing.

Did the Birkebeiner in Edmonton while studying at U of A many years ago. Loads of fun. As far as the local Nordic center is concerned, I find it to be a bastion of self selection and snobbery (my opinion but many around here concur). It's just not a very welcoming place in my opinion and i would rather associate myself with different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You still using my old skis?
    Ha! I just gave them to a buddy a month ago so they will still be out on the trails. I've moved onto a slightly longer free pair. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Did the Birkebeiner in Edmonton while studying at U of A many years ago.
    '92, 94 and 95 for me, maybe I was getting dusted by you speeding by? Only once the full distance, otherwise just the 30ish km. Great race, especially starting at -25C with temp dropping, and all the little ones taking part in the 3km loops.

And there's nothing like skiing around a corner and coming into the middle of a herd of bison in Elk Is park!

I miss nordic skiing, I wish it was more accessible (from an affordability perspective and daylight timing perspective). I have two nordic centers in VT in my facebook feed (Wild Wings and Viking, for peruvian and the other vermonsters in here), just because I miss it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    My lovely wife is committed. The good stuff is about an hour away from us and she'll get in 40-50 days on skate gear this year, like normal for her.
    Does she ski at Eldora? If they made it more affordable/accessible, I'd be more interested. I wish they had night skiing, the $150 pass add-on would be worth it. But I don't have enough ski days overall to justify the $150, and it's also not worth it as a day ticket price.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Viking Nordic is really cool, the lodge is as funky as it gets.
    crab in my shoe mouth

daylight timing perspective
    Lots of folks ski with cheap headlamps. It's not at all like mountain biking where the light is important.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This thread is taking off! Needs a little photo stoke. (if we're allowed to call it that?) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190226_155514.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	305617Name:  20190212_004742.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  51.2 KBName:  IMG_20190209_193210_261.jpeg
Size:  81.2 KBName:  20190118_003053.jpeg
Views: 379
Size:  39.9 KB

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Now we are getting somewhere

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1765.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	690.7 KB 
ID:	305626

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Lots of folks ski with cheap headlamps. It's not at all like mountain biking where the light is important.
    True. But there's a trespassing component for the groomed stuff. Plus it's all 45 minutes or more from home, making it harder to do, especially if I'm heading off into the winter darkness by myself.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Eldora? If they made it more affordable/accessible, I'd be more interested. I wish they had night skiing, the $150 pass add-on would be worth it. But I don't have enough ski days overall to justify the $150, and it's also not worth it as a day ticket price.
    Plus it is some aerobically serious nordic skiing - up and down, up and down. There are no mellow laps to be found...

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Did the Birkebeiner in Edmonton while studying at U of A many years ago. Loads of fun. As far as the local Nordic center is concerned, I find it to be a bastion of self selection and snobbery (my opinion but many around here concur). It's just not a very welcoming place in my opinion and i would rather associate myself with different folks.
    Funny you should say that. I had put my feelings about the local nordic folk down more to my lack of effort than anything on their part.

But, as a kid growing up in BL we LOOOOOOOVED beating the Smithers kids. They all had (seemed to have) parents who didn't smell of diesel fuel and sawdust, new gear, drove to races in minivans and not pickups and had no idea how to dodge cow patties on the track when they raced our course. After being on the same teams with them later in my career - I put it down more to their parents then the kids (a certain now retired high school track coach comes to mind).

Before I moved back I had visions of my kids growing up in the nordic scene - doing the nordic thing, coaching the kiddies, racing the masters. The first year I was back I made an effort - but after that I didn't. Now I coach the dh club kids.

I kinda like hugs farm. The only reason I bought a pass - is so I can take my pup for laps of the dog loops.

I am starting up the Monday Night Laps and Tailgate Beers thing again though - hit me up if you want to get a lap or two in with the pup.

Thread title has me perplexed.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Okemo Nordic from a couple of years ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	685.4 KB 
ID:	305633
    crab in my shoe mouth

I just came here to say...

Name:  12ycr1.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  34.1 KB
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Cool - I am Bi!

Or at least I used to be.

.. competed on the national and international level in Biathlon when I was younger. (Not a humble-brag, just a brag-brag)

If any of you have a chance - try it out. it’s an amazing sport.
    Almost hate to ask, but any chance you know Dr. Douglas?

It's a pretty place. Mrs. Plug:

Oh, yeah Danno that makes sense.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have the gear but have lacked the ambition. Golf course in neighborhood grooms a track, so just excuses at this point. Soon...

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Iím gonna try skating this week

Iím just glad I can wear tights.

anyone else cruising nordic trails?
    Good on ya. (FTR: Alpine+Pin+Nord=Alpinord)

It's all good. Nordic skiing makes you a better alpine skier IMO. Telly too. It uses the same basic stance, balance, gets or keeps your muscles in shape. You can be on snow on skis more often. My back door nordic center opened yesterday. The dawn patrol horizontal freshies this AM make for a day long smile sitting in the office. When the crust sets up and there's 1/2" of corn skate skiing is blast. It also teaches more about good glide and waxing.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    New! SkiScribe Centering Tool

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    How do you all feel about xc with skins underfoot. Part of the appeal is dialing in the right wax for the right conditions, but the skins seems like a pretty sweet option for good grip and convenience and more reliable than fishscales. I've seen more and more people using them.
    Skin skis have become popular for classic racers on training days and hard-to-kick-wax race days, e.g., zero snow and some klister conditions. I have tried them a couple times on firm tracks with good results. I will know more in a few months because I'm in the market for a pair of citizen race (sometimes marketed "fitness) level classic skin skis. They will supplement my scale classic race skis (old pair of very stiff Fischer RCS Crowns) and waxable (stiffer-than-fuck Atomics I raced on a few times years ago that don't get much use these days).

^^^i just put my RCS crowns in for consignment. They are so stiff, I couldnít take it anymore. I think Iíll bail on klister days now as well (anyone need klister?). I may consider skin skis at some point but it seems the industry tried them back in the late 80s and bailed on them once.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    This thread is taking off! Needs a little photo stoke. (if we're allowed to call it that?) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190226_155514.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	305617Name:  20190212_004742.jpeg
Size:  51.2 KBName:  IMG_20190209_193210_261.jpeg
Size:  81.2 KBName:  20190118_003053.jpeg
Views: 379
Size:  39.9 KB

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    The hard core are clicking in to dynafit toes. I will admit to pulling out the silver 44 now and then