Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    Anyone have any interest or know someone that could use half a pair of renegades? Skied 7 days total (last year ), the other one didn’t survive. This one is mint. 196

Attachment 306265
    Have you posted this in the "half a pair" thread?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F75B7208-2236-4560-A200-8985594FDF8C_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	922.7 KB 
ID:	306289

pretty interesting escape from the glacier yesterday after some good runs high up , the road after the bench was surprisingly good shape, some big open holes near the top and on horstman too so be careful out there

Just got back from Whistler, it's pretty bad...It needs at least two good storms to even consider opening up the alpine.

So how much new snow is needed before conditions count as decent?

I’m over visiting family and am deciding whether to commit to buying a pass now and getting some sort of discount, or waiting and accepting the full price at the window (or not if conditions suck)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post

I’m over visiting family and am deciding whether to commit to buying a pass now and getting some sort of discount, or waiting and accepting the full price at the window (or not if conditions suck)

I’d say at least 2 metres. Snowfall total so far is only around 50cm

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    You have a point. This keeps things manageable

The multi-day online prices for tickets does bring things down - a bit. Unless you got an Epic Pass, Edge Card special or early season deal .... fork over the greenbacks.

Just bring the GoPro and wait around liftlines and skiouts. Then sell the fight club footy to Unofficial Networks.
    Use proceeds to buy next years season Pass.

Solved
    They don't care about the walk-up people. $169 take it or leave it, not their fault there's no snow yet.

If you planned a trip in advance you already bought your tickets back in October for whatever price (edge card, multi-day discount, or epic). Now how would you feel if you show up, the snow is missing, and "good guy Vail" has dropped window ticket prices down, effectively making your early trigger-pull a waste of risk-for-savings. Know what I'm saying? If someone buys their lift tickets early and saves 20% off the regular rate, they're gonna be pissed when they show up and that regular rate is equal to or less than what they paid. Then you got more people complaining, more people to give concessions to, it'd be a nightmare. At least with the current sitch, Dave from Seattle and his family can show up and say "good thing we didn't pay full price for THIS!" and feel like winners.

Do they at least have some sort of "early season conditions" warning sign up at the ticket windows?

Not sure if any of you follow the Whistler facebook group (which is a bit of a trainwreck, not surprisingly) but someone posted yesterday that he and his buddies thought the free skiing period with the Edge card went through this past weekend and were pissed when they ended up using a couple of their paid days since the actual free period ended on the 13th. I posted an email I got back in April that clearly indicated the end date was the 13th and you'd think that would end the discussion, but no, others still had to pile on how shitty Vail is. I mean, they might be, but you can't really blame them for ending the free period when they said they were going to from the get-go! I'm glad I'm not in a business where I have to deal with customers...

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    I’d say at least 2 metres. Snowfall total so far is only around 50cm
    Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on what the next few days brings. Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised

fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I posted an email I got back in April that clearly indicated the end date was the 13th and you'd think that would end the discussion, but no, others still had to pile on how shitty Vail is. I mean, they might be, but you can't really blame them for ending the free period when they said they were going to from the get-go! I'm glad I'm not in a business where I have to deal with customers...
    I don't get the Vail hate TBH. I know its mandatory to hate corporations etc but in my eyes all Vail has done is lowered my season pass cost, given me free lift ticket options to some cool places all over the world and invested heavily in my local resort. I still miss the Solar Coaster tho! Their business model revolves around the Epic pass, so just buy it and life is good. Its not that much more than a some edge card options and it'll motivate you to ski more. And sorry parents, no-one owes you a free pass just because you have a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I don't get the Vail hate TBH. I know its mandatory to hate corporations etc but in my eyes all Vail has done is lowered my season pass cost, given me free lift ticket options to some cool places all over the world and invested heavily in my local resort. I still miss the Solar Coaster tho! Their business model revolves around the Epic pass, so just buy it and life is good. Its not that much more than a some edge card options and it'll motivate you to ski more. And sorry parents, no-one owes you a free pass just because you have a kid.
    100% with agree with all of this*. they've just been more upfront about chasing the $$$ then other previous owners, so that pisses people off. Everyone used to hate on Intrawest etc, but didn't realize how good they had it sometimes.

*except i don't really miss solar coaster. I love being able to show up at 8:15 on a pow day and not stand in line for 45 minutes before uploading (assuming the gondola works)

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post

*except i don't really miss solar coaster. I love being able to show up at 8:15 on a pow day and not stand in line for 45 minutes before uploading (assuming the gondola works)
    I meant the Wizard. I miss the Wizard. I just like to just ski right onto a chairlift from the parking lot. Now I gotta stuff into a Gondola unless I go down to Fitz and three chairs to get to alpine. But I do like no Solar Coaster on cold pow days - I won't say why but I like it...

100% with agree with all of this*. they've just been more upfront about chasing the $$$ then other previous owners, so that pisses people off. Everyone used to hate on Intrawest etc, but didn't realize how good they had it sometimes.

What? People hate it because the cost of going to whistler has gone up significantly. Also what they did to the edge card is complete bullshit.

I'm not agreeing with 100% of the hate, but surely you can see why people dislike vail?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Also what they did to the edge card is complete bullshit
    I figured they'd nix the Edge card entirely, so the fact it is still around makes it a win for me.

Edge card still exists. If you pay 899UDS early you get as many days as you want. seems likes a win/win to me

Sorry XYZ, i know what you meant. I don't really miss Wiz/Solar at all. Probably in a rare category there though. I would prefer not to take my stuff of for the gondola, but im lazy and like to sleep so it helps that...

Not sure what they did to the edge card that is so awful. I guess maybe getting rid of the spring pass option? But then you can just buy it in the spring if it is worth it, for more $ I know, but at least you don’t have to commit almost a year in advance. I know they kind of screwed it in the first year when they removed a bunch of lower days options, but then they brought back a 2 day pass.

Vail’s purchase of Whistler/Blackcomb has improved the ease of use from the perspective of this semi-Seattlite (North). You can buy a Stevens + Whistler Season Pass for less than what was the cost of a Steven’s Season Pass and 5 day edge card. Whistler is 4 hours away and upper mountain isn’t opening until 10 on a good day anyway. Hit the boarder by 6:30 and it’s a pretty clean drive on a weekday.

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on what the next few days brings. Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised

pleasant surprise today with healthy snowfall down to village and some very good skiing in the outer bowls , still need to hike for it but the exits are now a lot easier , and as its my last day its bound to snow non stop for the next week

What? People hate it because the cost of going to whistler has gone up significantly.
    Its gone down for me. Just buy the Epic pass. What's the worst that can happen? You ski more? Nobody has perfect spending habits - we blow money on all kinds of things we don't really need. Stop pretending that an Epic pass is the only thing you cant overspend on. I should work for Vail...

If they had bothered to check the website it was clearly stated that it ended on the 13th, I know this because we were hoping to use a free day and made sure we confirmed before making plans.

Vail did put an end to some perks. No more parent pass, they caused a stink and they allowed previous parent pass owners to carry on for maybe a year or two. They no longer allow you to burn an un-used Edge Card ski day in the bike park, the value of the ski day was more than the bike park day but at least you got to salvage some of the lost cost. No more spring pass when you buy your next seasons Edge Card, a couple years I did this one when Edge Card days were less expensive, I forget the math but at something like 30 days ski days it was better value to go Edge Card then the spring pass vs a full price pass (this was for weekender types that only got a handful of mid week days a season). I am sure there are more little perks that don't exist anymore, but if you travel it's opened up lots of options.

Edge card still exists. If you pay 899UDS early you get as many days as you want. seems likes a win/win to me

Sorry XYZ, i know what you meant. I don't really miss Wiz/Solar at all. Probably in a rare category there though. I would prefer not to take my stuff of for the gondola, but im lazy and like to sleep so it helps that...
    I know the edge card still exists, but all of it's perks have been removed. Hell, you can't even buy the edge card mid season anymore or reload them at edge card prices...

Its gone down for me. Just buy the Epic pass. What's the worst that can happen? You ski more? Nobody has perfect spending habits - we blow money on all kinds of things we don't really need. Stop pretending that an Epic pass is the only thing you cant overspend on. I should work for Vail...
    Lol, I already have an epic pass. It was never just about the lift price, it's the astronomical rise in accommodation prices that have made Whistler, for many, an unaffordable option.

I'm just playing devils advocate and pointing out to you that a lot of people are upset because they've been priced out of Whistler Blackcomb. Which stings, because it draws a comparison to how big foreign capital drove up property values in Vancouver pricing out the locals as well.

I don't think you can buy Epic/EDGE card anymore? Just day tickets/multi-day discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Not sure if any of you follow the Whistler facebook group (which is a bit of a trainwreck, not surprisingly) but someone posted yesterday that he and his buddies thought the free skiing period with the Edge card went through this past weekend and were pissed when they ended up using a couple of their paid days since the actual free period ended on the 13th. I posted an email I got back in April that clearly indicated the end date was the 13th and you'd think that would end the discussion, but no, others still had to pile on how shitty Vail is. I mean, they might be, but you can't really blame them for ending the free period when they said they were going to from the get-go! I'm glad I'm not in a business where I have to deal with customers...
    I saw that trainwreck of a thread, dumbasses galore on that group. I always remembered the early season Edge period ending on a Friday - it makes sense, it looks like the best value when you are buying it but benefits the resort because it cuts out a weekend. Once or twice WB extended the free period forward in shitty years (would be nice this year but whatever).

I'm in the meh camp with Vail. I'm only doing a 5 day Edge + backcountry passes, with a baby at home and weekend warrior citiot life I don't get enough days to bother, but Epic is an awesome value. Accoms have definitely gone up but they were rising before Vail. I am curious to see what WB looks like in 5-10-15+ years, I think that when the impact of Vail vs. Brownlie and his team will be felt.

At least it's snowing this week, will get my first days this weekend. Will be curious how stability plays out and whether they shut down in-bounds touring given some of the November layers and mass number of clueless people hitting stuff they shouldn't (based on social media anyway). Nice of patrol to mark crevasses with bamboo poles.

Not sure how accommodation prices going up is Vails fault, other than obviously if the Epic pass is bringing more people in then hotels don’t have to discount. Occupancy rates have been steadily rising in Whistler long before Vail came in, blame the intensive marketing Whistler as a whole does if you want.

I know the edge card still exists, but all of it's perks have been removed.
    Not all of them. If you buy it early you still get free early season skiing plus one free summer sightseeing day. I use both those perks.
    --------
    I'll be curious to see how the price of accommodations shakes out this season. Two years ago it seems like they were nuts, but that was also a season where most of the other major Epic resorts had terrible starts to the season. To me it seems like last year bookings were down at Whistler and that made it a little easier to find hotel rooms. I have a feeling we'll see the same thing this year because of the slow start to the season. If there's a silver lining to the lack of snowfall so far, that could be it.

overall I'd say not much change with Vail, accommodation is simple supply and demand, and the past few years it's been a hot market.

One thing that bothers me about their pricing model and bigger picture practices though is that they've alienated a large segment of the regional population that I believe wants to ski, but have been priced out of it. Vail has essentially said they are not interested in serving that market, fair enough, but then to leverage your position and local and regional governments to oppose other resorts from gaining a foothold really is a dick move. Now, I think GAS is a crappy proposal in a crappy location (unless you're into real estate) for a ski area, but the Sea to Sky really could use another resort/area to cater to those disenfranchised and offer up a bit of competition in the market.

Anyway...at least the forecast is looking better in the short term!

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post

One thing that bothers me about their pricing model and bigger picture practices though is that they've alienated a large segment of the regional population that I believe wants to ski, but have been priced out of it.!
    If u want to ski,buy a pass! The cost of the pass is cheaper than ever.

If u don’t want to ski,sit around and complain about how a day ticket is more expensive than ever....

Skiers figure out a way to pay for it- non skiers bitch about the cost of it