Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Gusts at Hosrtman Hut hitting 170-179km/h consistently from 7pm-12am... Peak 150-175 same timeframe. Don't recall seeing >150 gusts sustained before? Alpine is going to be shitkicked.
    and 70mm of rain at pig alley since 2:45 yesterday aft

Will be interesting to see how it looks. Just heard lines are back to the brasserie so not sure wtf was going on. Nearly got ran over 3 times by people flying into creekside this AM so seems some people are super pumped on something. just not sure what/why?

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Will be interesting to see how it looks. Just heard lines are back to the brasserie so not sure wtf was going on. Nearly got ran over 3 times by people flying into creekside this AM so seems some people are super pumped on something. just not sure what/why?
    yeah...WB has already said alpine isn't opening on either mountain today too, mid mountain late opening mush...glad I told the wife I'd take sunday for my ski day! ha

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Maybe crystal cracked at 230. But that’s it. Chair icing is what I heard. Or maybe vail has realized that all the closed lifts this year is driving up restaurant sales..?
    Last edited by xyz; 02-01-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Hahaha. Why do people even bother

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Wonder if any alpine survived those winds? Can’t imagine any tree skiing will be good either with the temps, rain and winds. No idea what all those people were lining up for, besides disappointment.

At least it appears Squamish trails have melted out.

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Wonder if any alpine survived those winds? Can’t imagine any tree skiing will be good either with the temps, rain and winds. No idea what all those people were lining up for, besides disappointment.

At least it appears Squamish trails have melted out.
    I made a few runs off disease and chuting gallery. The alpine survived, even pow into the upper trees. But yeah, if you weren’t touring the day was a total loss. I heard some were getting refunds.

the mamquam was running about 3-4 feet higher than normal this morning where I walk the dog, couldn't actually walk along the river, but by this aft it had dropped back down about 3 feet...took a full week of hammering rain everyday for the snow to go, but valley bottom is clear now except for some piles here and there from plows.

Garibaldi Resort (Squamish)

Further delays:
    https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ntal-extension

For those unfamiliar, compared to Whis/Black, they propose a compressed resort, with less than half the vertical. A very high base Village (1130 m), about the same as the Garbanzo/Gondola (Olympic) mid-station on Whis (and Excellerator chair base on Blackcomb). The top lift would be only about 1865m, same as Roundhouse (or Rendevouz/Crystal top).

So that means road challenges during cold storm cycles, and terrain limitations during warm storms & rising freeze levels. And then there's the famous winds.

Whistler 2019 - 2020

First experience with WB last week; Got to do everything on the bucket list and then some. Forgot to check out the cave - my legs were WORKED. Spanks was great with no lines on Monday - wanted to try to get over there Thursday after the 18cm but we got sucked in to peak express laps. Have to say, Flute wasn’t on my radar but was a fricken blast - no people - no tracks - just tiny ant people below and our choice of lines. Two thumbs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Abol98; 02-03-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    First experience with WB last week; Got to do everything on the bucket list and then some. Forgot to check out the cave - my legs were WORKED. Spanks was great with no lines on Monday - wanted to try to get over there Thursday after the 18cm but we got sucked in to peak express laps. Have to say, Flute wasn’t on my radar but was a fricken blast - no people - no tracks - just tiny ant people below and our choice of lines. Two thumbs.
    Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=84222]
    Nice! Its refreshing to hear positive noise on here sometimes. glad you had fun!

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
    Further delays:
    https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ntal-extension

For those unfamiliar, compared to Whis/Black, they propose a compressed resort, with less than half the vertical. A very high base Village (1130 m), about the same as the Garbanzo/Gondola (Olympic) mid-station on Whis (and Excellerator chair base on Blackcomb). The top lift would be only about 1865m, same as Roundhouse (or Rendevouz/Crystal top).

So that means road challenges during cold storm cycles, and terrain limitations during warm storms & rising freeze levels. And then there's the famous winds.
    I would love to see GAS get built. Imagine how much quieter whistler would be. Saturday’s would be the new Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I would love to see GAS get built. Imagine how much quieter whistler would be. Saturday’s would be the new Monday.
    I fucking love skiing Monday’s after being stuck skiing weekends the last few seasons!

Sleeper pow Monday’s 🤤

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Nice! Its refreshing to hear positive noise on here sometimes. glad you had fun!
    Second this... cool to see someone hit WB for the first time and have a great experience, good timing on that one dude.

How's the snow up high today?

Whistler 2019 - 2020

How's the snow up high today?
    OMFG. Somehow 30cm of pixie dust dropped last night on the spearhead. -10c and cold blower in blackcomb slack today. Unreal. Tbar was closed until mid morning. Had the zone to just a handful to us.

If nortonwhis is looking for some positive posts this one is for him.
    Last edited by xyz; 02-03-2020 at 08:51 PM.

In the afternoon Whistler bowl/surprise/headwall /etc was chalky with a bit of good snow here and there. Icy in spots too though and debris all over. Sounds like blackcomb slack country was the place to be!

I pretty much struck out Sunday....not living less than 5 minutes from creekside anymore does not have its perks, ski wise anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Sounds like blackcomb slack country was the place to be!
    It was! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6478.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	313821

more tales of goodness please , four weeks til next out and starting to get stoked already , last trip Blackcomb was the place to be too , just a few more rocks to be seen
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c06b09ac-0e7a-4707-8b91-fd26afdc3f67.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	313828

Went up the Harmony chair with a local after taking a lap off the high side of Boomer Bowl (remember, first timer here). We had seen the runout and carried a bunch of speed to the right-ish side of trees and then threw the e-brakes on at the "CLIFF" sign. Proceeded down the fun little chutes that were on display above the corral. Those chutes aren't named on the trail map so I asked if he knew what they were called. With his German accent, I thought he was calling them "Vet Dream."

"What?"

"WET DREAMS"

Lol. Yeah, not going on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Went up the Harmony chair with a local after taking a lap off the high side of Boomer Bowl (remember, first timer here). We had seen the runout and carried a bunch of speed to the right-ish side of trees and then threw the e-brakes on at the "CLIFF" sign. Proceeded down the fun little chutes that were on display above the corral. Those chutes aren't named on the trail map so I asked if he knew what they were called. With his German accent, I thought he was calling them "Vet Dream."

"What?"

"WET DREAMS"

Lol. Yeah, not going on the map.
    I thought those were called the Gun Barrels, but that name is given on the trail map.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I thought those were called the Gun Barrels, but that name is given on the trail map.
    2 slightly different areas

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gun barrels = two chutes lookers left
    Wet dreams = pillows

H4/H5 -> traverse -> Boomer -> Wet Dreams... the classic Harmony pow day first lap. Could go for one of those right about now.