Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Whistler became an international destination.
    Sort of.
    Europe is still much more coveted among wealthy ski/bike vacationers.
    I guess they get to reduce their CO2 emissions! Isn't that what they wanted last year when they wrote to the oil industry?
    It all is a lot better for the environment and paranoid climate researchers should be partying hard with all the reduced emissions.

I understand why Canadians wouldn't want Americans coming in right now, but I didn't expect all the dickish behavior over it. This is something I'd expect from Americans, not so much from Canadians.

what is dickish ?

isnt promising to book it for AK and then ambling along or not even going TO ak "dickish" ?

One of the bros seen an American camping at the local governement camp site which is normaly fine but he wasnt sposed to be there

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...border-closure

even the Guardian has picked up the story ^^ of Americans violating the border closure which just makes Americans look even more entitled than ever, between the riots/ trump/ inabilty to have any kind of handle on Covid, living narth of the 49th is like renting the top floor of a house where the LL rented the basement suite to a crack dealer

I remember whistler being cool in 1982
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what is dickish ?

isnt promising to book it for AK and then ambling along or not even going TO ak "dickish" ?
    Yes. Who says it's not?

Wow- that’s ridiculous. I live in Calgary and we were not even allowed to go to Banff. Up until 1-2 weeks ago the RCMP had the entrances in Banff/ Canmore and Lake Louise blocked and were only letting residents to enter.

The news is blowing up everything that they can to get a news story.
    Everyone knows they do this, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I understand why Canadians wouldn't want Americans coming in right now, but I didn't expect all the dickish behavior over it. This is something I'd expect from Americans, not so much from Canadians.
    Why are you so f’n sensitive?

People have every reason to state their opinions and concerns especially thanks to covid when so much was and still has been taken away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Why are you so f’n sensitive?

People have every reason to state their opinions and concerns especially thanks to covid when so much was and still has been taken away from them.
    That's an excuse to act like a dick about it? How about a little compassion.

I'm not really talking about the response here, but the reaction I've seen in several sources. It just strikes me as untoward an inappropriate. Yeah, we've certainly got our share of morons here who think this is all a hoax, but most of us are doing what we can to get through this and back to our lives. I'm sure the situation is very much the same in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's an excuse to act like a dick about it? How about a little compassion.
    I think the excuse is we all want to get back to normal, get back to shredding and get back to deep days on the mtn sooner than later.

actualy the stats would indicate the situation is not the same down there as it is up here cuz according to the artical in that link there are 7 times more dead in washinton than in BC, thats not a little that is orders of magnitude

which is why damn near everyone I talk to wants you to stay down there

unless we get dickish about it who is going to listen ?

actualy the stats would indicate the situation is not the same down there as it is up here cuz according to the artical in that link there are 7 times more dead in washinton than in BC, thats not a little that is orders of magnitude

which is why damn near everyone I talk to wants you to stay down there

unless we get dickish about it who is going to listen ?
    These stats are all liars.
    How many elderly? Average age of the population? Access to health care? Obesity? Diabetes?
    Density of metro areas affected?

I'd be surprised if the rates weren't identical if all other things held equal.
    If you social distance, wear a mask, wash your hands .. then what's the worry?
    The real danger isn't the world coming to Whistler, it is what happens at the pub pong tables and hot tub orgies after a hard day on the trails.
    It is more likely an employee at Whistler that won't take time off for sickness, or isn't allowed to, that is going to share their moistness world-over.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    I think the excuse is we all want to get back to normal, get back to shredding and get back to deep days on the mtn sooner than later.
    Yeah, fair enough.

I think it's refreshing and inspiring to hear Canadians talk frankly about the current situation. Although it has an impact on me and my travel plans, I fully support their desire to keep the border closed to all but essential traffic. We as Americans have proved that we cannot be trusted or respected. We're reaping what we've sowed, and I feel bad for those who lack the self-awareness and humility to understand that.

It's mystifying to me that so many Americans seem to be incapable of acknowledging that there is nobody to blame but ourselves for our current circumstances. The border remaining closed is our fault and nobody else's. If you want to find someone to hold accountable, get a mirror.

And on an even closer-to-home level, Washington's mishandling of COVID and the irrational reopening of the state plays a big part in it. But Toll Brothers really needs to slap up a few hundred more $900,000 McMansions: that's far more important than public health, particularly in an area that is already criminally overpopulated.

I'm not crazy about being dickish. Descending to the level of Americans isn't a net productive positive.

Having said that the last poll I saw ( 2 weeks ago), 80%+ of Canadians agreed with the COVID mitigation measures which is pretty much a broad social consensus.

The last poll I saw for the US was approx 4 weeks ago and had 56% thinking COVID fears were overblown ( note not a hoax but equating it to just a flu). That's a lot of COVIdiots.

And If the US wasn't literally a nation of zombies in the next room over I'd feel sorry and leave it at that. But since you're our neighbours I'll sincerely hope you get through this but in the meantime really hope you stay the hell away.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    These stats are all liars.
    How many elderly? Average age of the population? Access to health care? Obesity? Diabetes?
    Density of metro areas affected?

I'd be surprised if the rates weren't identical if all other things held equal.
    If you social distance, wear a mask, wash your hands .. then what's the worry?
    The real danger isn't the world coming to Whistler, it is what happens at the pub pong tables and hot tub orgies after a hard day on the trails.
    It is more likely an employee at Whistler that won't take time off for sickness, or isn't allowed to, that is going to share their moistness world-over.
    so this ^^ is a perfect example of why we want the border kept closed, worldometer sez there were 121k covid deaths in USA which is more than double any other country but its all fake news,and alot of the USA in in denial about ... everything
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...avel-1.5619268

according to buddy in the artical the border will probably stay closed till the end of the year and if you don't wana play by the rules

" RCMP said officers fined seven Americans this week who were supposed to be driving straight to Alaska, but instead were caught taking in the sights at Banff National Park. The fines, issued under the Alberta Health Act, were for $1,200 each. "

fake news eh?

Yakima Health District
    Media Release
    For immediate release: June 19, 2020
    Contact: Lilián Bravo, Director of Public Health Partnerships 509-930-4787

Yakima County Hospitals Are Currently Exceeding Capacity

YAKIMA, WA- As of last night Virginia Mason Memorial had no intensive care or non-intensive care beds available. There were multiple patients waiting for hospital bed space overnight. This was after at least 17 patients had already been transferred out of the county. Several individuals are still currently waiting for available bed space.

Across Yakima County, there were 61 COVID-19 positive individuals hospitalized, the highest we have seen to date. Over the past week, all hospitals have reported critical staffing shortages. Many of these shortages are due to staff being out for either having COVID-19, demonstrating COVID-19 symptoms or because they are a close contact to a COVID-19 individual and are now under quarantine.

Not only do we have the highest rate of COVID-19 infections, but as of last night, Yakima County represented 22%
    (61 of 242) of all hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Washington State. This was more than King County, the most
    populous county in Washington State. Yakima County COVID-19 patients also represented 24% (11 of 46) of all ventilated COVID-19 patients in the State, which is the same as King County.

Nearby, the Benton and Franklin Counties health care system is also reaching capacity. “Benton and Franklin Counties are seeing a steady, rapid increase in hospitalizations due to COVID-19, with the number of patients nearly doubling the past two weeks. While hospitals are not overwhelmed yet, if the rate continues, we will exceed capacity quickly.” Said Malvina Goodwin, Benton-Franklin Health District.

Yakima County cannot continue to rely on other counties to absorb patients that need additional intensive care. As
    our case counts continue to spike after large celebratory weekends, we are seeing hospitalizations also sharply
    increase shortly after. The entire health care system in Yakima County is exceeding capacity.

Today, as of 3PM we have already seen an increase of 180, one of the largest single day increases of COVID-19
    positive cases to date. These numbers will likely be higher when we finish reporting later this evening.

PUBLIC HEALTH RECOMMENDATIONS
    • Stay at home as much as possible
    • Avoid close contact with anyone outside of your household
    • If you must go out, ensure at least 6 feet of distance from others and wear a mask
    • Wash hands frequently and sanitize common surfaces frequently
    • If you have a fever, cough, shortness of breath, fever, muscle pain, headache, sore throat or new loss of
    taste or smell, get tested for COVID-19 within 24 hours. For testing locations, call 2-1-1.
    • If you have any symptoms of illness, stay at home and isolate except to get tested. Make sure those you
    have been in close contact with know they need to quarantine.

QUOTES
    Yakima Health District:
    “As Father’s Day approaches, we urge community members to demonstrate their love and affection for their family
    by ensuring that they are safe. Any close contact with people outside of your immediate household is putting yourself and your loved ones at risk. ” said Andre Fresco, Executive Director of the Yakima Health District.

“This is the day we have been fighting to avoid for months, when our hospitals can no longer provide their highest level of care because they are overwhelmed caring for patients with severe COVID-19 infection. We have a choice to make today- whether we continue to do what we have been for the last three months and keep watching our neighbors get sick and our local healthcare system break down; or whether we commit to keeping each other safe and healing our healthcare system by avoiding close contact with those outside of our households and masking when we do need to be out. We need to stop having in-person parties, barbecues, large family gatherings, celebrations, and happy hours and figure out how to connect with each other virtually. These adjustments have been made all over the world and have been proven to work to slow the spread of COVID-19. We need to do the same in
    Yakima and we need to do it now, to ensure the safety of our families. As a community, we have no choice but to
    come together to protect Yakima County. We must take immediate action to stop the spread of COVID-19 and
    ensure that we can provide complex medical care needs to our sick community members. Not just those with
    COVID-19, but those needing care for any severe illness or injury. We cannot allow our friends and neighbors to die
    waiting for space at the hospital or waiting to be transferred to another hospital” said Dr. Teresa Everson, Health
    Officer of the Yakima Health District.
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-20-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Having said that the last poll I saw ( 2 weeks ago), 80%+ of Canadians agreed with the COVID mitigation measures which is pretty much a broad social consensus.

The last poll I saw for the US was approx 4 weeks ago and had 56% thinking COVID fears were overblown ( note not a hoax but equating it to just a flu). That's a lot of COVIdiots.
    Depends on how they asked the question, if it was even the same question. So we all social distance, wear a mask, not lick our fingers, what's the difficulty with that?

so this ^^ is a perfect example of why we want the border kept closed, worldometer sez there were 121k covid deaths in USA which is more than double any other country but its all fake news,and alot of the USA in in denial about ... everything
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...avel-1.5619268

according to buddy in the artical the border will probably stay closed till the end of the year and if you don't wana play by the rules

" RCMP said officers fined seven Americans this week who were supposed to be driving straight to Alaska, but instead were caught taking in the sights at Banff National Park. The fines, issued under the Alberta Health Act, were for $1,200 each. "

fake news eh?

Yakima Health District
    Media Release
    For immediate release: June 19, 2020
    Contact: Lilián Bravo, Director of Public Health Partnerships 509-930-4787

Yakima County Hospitals Are Currently Exceeding Capacity

A moderate climate, lots of retirees, and an abundance of testing bordering on paranoia.
    All recipes for nationalist prejudice masquerading as 'public health concerns.'
    Unless you work in close quarters, or kiss a lot of seniors in understaffed villas, you will probably be safe.

And COVID just finds some hosts inhospitable --- especially those with signs at the arteries to their rural nooks that say "Stay The Fuck Away".
    So I guess being a dick is a preventative health measure.

PS - My senior friends, Trump haters no less!, they think we have all gone a bit far with the paranoia. Some of them are even retired doctors.

PS - My senior friends, Trump haters no less!, they think we have all gone a bit far with the paranoia. Some of them are even retired doctors.
    But how do they feel about the Squamish gondola cable vandalism?

So we all social distance, wear a mask, not lick our fingers, what's the difficulty with that?
    I know , but somehow America has fucked that all up unless of course you are an " America has not fucked up the Covid response " believer

the science sez America has which is why the border is closed and we want you to stay on that side of the 49th

you are welcome to come back when its safe for us

and bring money

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    But how do they feel about the Squamish gondola cable vandalism?
    They think it was an inside job so that they didn't have to eat the cost of a replacing it themselves.
    I know ... they come up with all sorts of far fetched theories!
    Wife wants to go again ... after this COVID blows over.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I fucking hate canaduh, I really do.
    Take a lap you fucking hosers.
    It's alright snowflake. I think you're a dipshit so we're even. Love my Yankee mag buddies like brothers, but until we've a viable vaccine, stay the fuck home.

I think the increases over the last few weeks have proven many states did not go far enough. You can't just say "okay, I'm done with it" when the virus is still out there.

But we do have a thread for this discussion. Perhaps it's best to take it there. I apologize for sullying this thread.

I know , but somehow America has fucked that all up unless of course you are an " America has not fucked up the Covid response " believer

the science sez America has which is why the border is closed and we want you to stay on that side of the 49th

you are welcome to come back when its safe for us

and bring money

The science.

Canada and the USA, apart from testing discrepancies, is probably the same.
    Consider the high density of US metropolitan areas ... that skews the results because it includes uber-dense areas like NYC and LA etc.
    I omitted countries with less than 30M citizens.
    Look at deaths per 100K. Consider that testing in other parts of the world is sub optimal or fraudulent (China and Americas).
    Canada's 'success' is mostly due to the explicit social distancing afforded by being the second largest land mass in the world with only 35 M people. It is a ghost town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qg9EQjf.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	332133

Last year, the Mayor in Whistler actually wrote to the Alberta oil industry that they wanted them to compensate Whistler for losses due to climate change.
    That's the level of ridiculousness we are dealing with here.
    Off the chart virtue signalling and municipal aggrandisement.
    Sail in your wind powered sailboat to ski on solar powered ski lifts.
    Maybe that explains why the lifts sucked so bad last year.

The science.

Canada and the USA, apart from testing discrepancies, is probably the same.
    Consider the high density of US metropolitan areas ... that skews the results because it includes uber-dense areas like NYC and LA etc.
    I omitted countries with less than 30M citizens.
    Look at deaths per 100K. Consider that testing in other parts of the world is sub optimal or fraudulent (China and Americas).
    Canada's 'success' is mostly due to the explicit social distancing afforded by being the second largest land mass in the world with only 35 M people. It is a ghost town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qg9EQjf.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	332133
    Yeah it's a ghost town. Nothing to see here, stay the fuck home.