Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    It was pretty dead on Whistler and the snow was awesome.

Wait I meant to say everything's terrible and this winter is a write off.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Got accom, edge cards, and flights all lined up for March. Only thing left is to figure out how to get 4 adults and their gear from:
    YVR to Whistler on a Monday mid day
    Whistler to North Van on a Friday afternoon
    North Van to YVR on a Saturday morning

Does anyone know what rental car companies offer ski racks and winter tires? Or, any transportation options that offer some flexibility and can get us from Whistler to North Van on a Friday afternoon when the lifts close? I figure we could just take a couple cabs to the airport from North Van if needed.

We're crashing at a friend's place so parking is all good.
    Once you get to 4 adults limo service becomes an option.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

I’m contemplating heading up to Whistler TK ski Friday and Saturday with a group of guys but the forecast looks quite inferior to what’s coming our way here in the cascades. For those of you in the know of current conditions and which forecasts are typically accurate , is that a terrible choice ? Looks like some snow and not bad winds so alpine should be open ?

Usual joking aside, if you live in WA I would be heading to Baker. Arctic air mass pushing down the low means deep blower pow @ Baker all weekend (look at the forecast). Looking like Whistler will get some snow Friday but not a ton, and also keep in mind the drive from the border to Whistler will suck if it snows in the lower mainland/lower Sea to Sky which isn't maintained as well as Squamish to Whistler.

With the persistent weak layers still in play, who knows, could be limited alpine Friday. Whistler side hasn't opened since last Thurs, today it's decent vis and low wind and they shut down 7th early, not even t-bars on Whistler, I take that to mean spooky results are occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    and also keep in mind the drive from the border to Whistler will suck if it snows in the lower mainland/lower Sea to Sky which isn't maintained as well as Squamish to Whistler.
    Good point. This is something to watch. I drove up last year on a day where it was snowing heavily from Bellingham north. Not a fun drive.

Not to mention the way things are going, it is a total crapshoot what lifts will be running. Red, Garbo and Olympic were all dead this morning. Garbo started loading then proceeded to stop and go for an hour until they managed to keep it running long enough to get the people who were on it, off. Red did get going eventually, but it seems some lift or another is broken down everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Not to mention the way things are going, it is a total crapshoot what lifts will be running. Red, Garbo and Olympic were all dead this morning. Garbo started loading then proceeded to stop and go for an hour until they managed to keep it running long enough to get the people who were on it, off. Red did get going eventually, but it seems some lift or another is broken down everyday.
    Come on now, we all know that maintaining lifts makes no one any money.

So at this point it’s stability issues keeping the alpine closed ?

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    So at this point it’s stability issues keeping the alpine closed ?
    I know we've got a PWL to be concerned about but Spankies still closed , 7th closed early due to 'avalanche conditions'. Peak closed. BC access closed. I feel like its a bit overdone. Almost like Op's is falling victim to this 'Climate Catastrophe' culture we have to live with these days. Just bomb the shit out of the alpine and let us have at it! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    BC access closed.
    No access out the bottom of 7th?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    No access out the bottom of 7th?
    Didn't check that but Lakeside etc access from top was closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Come on now, we all know that maintaining lifts makes no one any money.
    Well it got me a $50 food voucher today for sitting on a lift for a hour, so I’m not really complaining.

I know we've got a PWL to be concerned about but Spankies still closed , 7th closed early due to 'avalanche conditions'. Peak closed. BC access closed. I feel like its a bit overdone. Almost like Op's is falling victim to this 'Climate Catastrophe' culture we have to live with these days. Just bomb the shit out of the alpine and let us have at it! :-)
    Maybe soon, it sounded a bit like a war zone this morning with the helicopters flying around and the explosives going off. Although there might not be anything left to ski with all the bomb holes.

lots of complaints about whis these days. i can't really tell if it's a particularly bad PWL or management, but broken lifts def points to management.

baker forecast is looking decent for this weekend:
    Last edited by raypruit; 01-08-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Well it got me a $50 food voucher today for sitting on a lift for a hour, so I’m not really complaining.
    Rumour mill has them doling out over $60000 in vouchers one day sometime before Christmas thanks to the Blackcomb gondy...someone should really be ashamed for that debacle. Granted I haven't been up as much this year with moving to Squamish and having a toddler, but overall things seem, off...I guess a super late start to the snow will have that effect too though.

The unusual PWL has certainly got to be the root of the issue with regards to alpine openings. There was no major movements from any of the visible bombings on Peak or Harmony today (just storm snow), but the consequences of a step down would be catastrophic.

It seems that risk management has been upped this year in other areas as well. Closure sign lines are being posted much lower on Rabbit Tracks to start the day and the upper part of the last pitch of Harmony lift line has been cut off to prevent traverse access to boot chutes which is also a bummer.

Hoping the alpine opens tomorrow.

yup! Ruby had great coverage.

Alpine is good to go. Skiing to the village. The time to complain is over, it’s pretty much business usual.
    Pictures eh!

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeius View Post
    The unusual PWL has certainly got to be the root of the issue with regards to alpine openings. There was no major movements from any of the visible bombings on Peak or Harmony today (just storm snow), but the consequences of a step down would be catastrophic.

It seems that risk management has been upped this year in other areas as well. Closure sign lines are being posted much lower on Rabbit Tracks to start the day and the upper part of the last pitch of Harmony lift line has been cut off to prevent traverse access to boot chutes which is also a bummer.

Hoping the alpine opens tomorrow.
    Dang it, the boot chutes shuffle was my go to, you could make it pretty far without technically going uphill once you put in a bit of a creative traverse . I heard rabbit tracks/Die Hard sign line is because of a continuous flow of fucktards going into active AC this season.

Two gals on my chair recounted today how they woke at 7 AM to creekside,
    Waited eons,
    then shuttled to village,
    then waited at Excellerator for a while during an extended service pause,
    only to get first run at 11 AM up Jersey.
    Whatever lift magic they are doing,
    they need a new magician!

In other news,
    the powder on piste was very nice, there are still lots of sharks above treeline, and the moguls are superb.
    Oh, and, WTF is with people heading down the sea to sky hwy with 2 feet of snow stacked on their roofs?!?!
    Even shuttle services. Clean that shit off before someone has an accident!

All told, good snow, and a good day.
    The weather is cooperating.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Guessing RCMP is too understaffed otherwise they should just station someone at Creekside and hand out big tickets to lazy pieces of shit who don't clear snow off their vehicles (maybe double up with some tire tickets as well).

Per Wayne's blog, the early 7th closure yesterday was due to too many fuckwads going into Lakeside closure. I hope it's still zero tolerance 1 year ban for that shit. Inexcusable.

couple weeks ago there was a group of 3 or 4 people that went past the Whistler bomb shack closure in the morning, with 4 patrollers and a groomer right there...they just let them drop in with a warning, sounds like it's time to drop the hammer and start pulling passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeius View Post
    yeah, there's a new sign line in the woods by the Hollywood closure too that's below the historical traverse to get across to P2C, now the flagged line dumps you into the total shit of Love Canal instead of popping fairly easily onto P2C...not sure it's really safer

Someone here has to have a connection to someone on patrol no? I need some sort of prognosis to go on....

7th heaven lift is broken with maintenance on site. Watched a guy jump off the chair just out of the base station. Patrol didn't seem too thrilled about that.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    7th heaven lift is broken with maintenance on site.
    WTF is going on with these lifts?