Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Meh. I grew up skiing blackcomb, only because when I started skiing, it was actually affordable for middle class folks. If I was born now, there's no way my parents could afford taking me to WB, they arguably couldn't afford taking me skiing at all.

Seeing less and less little ones on the hills these days and that's actually kind of depressing. That's not the way one grows a sport.

... but hey, season passes are slightly cheaper since Vail took over for all of us, so fuck all the new-comers eh?
    I grew up skiing Grouse. We were slightly above middle class I'd say and even back in the day (80's/90's) Whistler was considered a once a year luxury for us. So I think Whistler has always been mostly out of reach for the middle class i.e. not Vail's fault. But on the other hand, lower Mainlanders seem to be so drunk on home equity that they are skiing more than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    yup, and WB will always be the premier resort, but look at the demographic trends and projections for the lower mainland, 1 million more residents in the next 20 years, the north shore mountains aren't going to cut it as feeders and the Sea to Sky will be the recreation destination for most of those people.
    This is also my concern. We have a 16 month old and will probably have another kid and I’m thinking about where I’ll try to get them into skiing (not force, just strongly encourage haha). North shore seems logical for the first 2-4 seasons with a spring trip to Whistler when the weather and views are good. The Shore does scare me a bit by the sheer number of gapers up there who don’t come from a skiing/winter sports background. It’s so different to when I grew up skiing Banff in the 80s/early 90s.

We are very lucky that we can afford to do the Whistler kids thing when they are older and will get more out of it, but the drive is only getting more painful traffic wise. And also the overcrowded gaper risk on the lower mountain funnel groomers scares me as well.

Might need to check out Sasquatch/Hemlock sometime... but I am also in the cautiously optimistic group about GAS for family skiing even if the snow is often trash.

Any rumours about Crystal or Harmony? Saw on Instagram Crystal spinning and some staff assessing things. Guessing Harmony is a ways off with the rocky terrain.

Crystal opened

I am joining a team for a run in the Peak to Valley Race Feb 21st. Looking for some tips on accommodations and lift tickets.
    I am hoping for some warm floor space to camp on.
    And maybe a suggestion for a way to save 6 or 9 CAD on window price.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Any rumours about Crystal or Harmony? Saw on Instagram Crystal spinning and some staff assessing things. Guessing Harmony is a ways off with the rocky terrain.
    Crystal opened midday today. There was a wall of people that headed over after lunch. It was a pretty remarkable sight.

Harmony looks like a boulder field at this point and needs a lot more snow in my view.

Lots of bombing this morning on whistler peak. I was in franz’s and it was scary loud.

The snow over the past week I'm sure has helped immensely. At least Christmas week shouldn't be a complete disaster as the hordes descend...

Oh yeh, Whistler opened 3 more runs today. Well actually it works out to one, but they needed three runs to get from the top to the bottom of Emerald on snow.

Lift lines look stupendous on Village side today, Creekside appears to have cleared right out.

Wild upload this morning. Longest i think i have ever waited at the base of blackcomb. Not many actually skiing when i got up there.
    Decent accumulation and turns to be had. Woudln't be suprised to see south side 7th open before Xmas now. they dont need much to get the runs open.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Wild upload this morning. Longest i think i have ever waited at the base of blackcomb. Not many actually skiing when i got up there.
    Everyone had to get those three Instagram photos.

One waiting for line "OMG this line".
    Second one on the lift "First real powder day".
    Third one with the tip pointing into something they didn't ski but looks deeper than it actually is "It's ON".

Then they sat around the lodge deciding what filters to use and what tags to use for a couple hours before downloading back to the village.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Everyone had to get those three Instagram photos.

One waiting for line "OMG this line".
    Second one on the lift "First real powder day".
    Third one with the tip pointing into something they didn't ski but looks deeper than it actually is "It's ON".

Then they sat around the lodge deciding what filters to use and what tags to use for a couple hours before downloading back to the village.
    A group of 6 who refused to squish up in the blackcomb gondola were complaining that Crystal wasnt open yet. They said that Patrol should have been doing Avi Control last night so that it was already open for them. Took me eerything i had to not go to town. Fat with a bunhc of shitty kids and a wife who probably hated him.

"Lock in your spring savings for March and April and stay from $299/night*. Don't delay! This offer expires on December 22nd."

Only $300 a night. Single room.
    What a deal!

PS - Actually, for Whistler, that is a deal for this time of year. Last year, the cheapest rooms were in the $800 range this week and for the next 3 weeks.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Were they doing control work in the alpine today? Wonder if anything went yuge on the November crusts.

Harmony was spinning today, looks like it may open tomorrow.

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Big results. Nov 23rd crust is an issue; size 2s n 3s sympathetics. Touchy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6UsPh3BhFX/

Stay safe out there boyz.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Huge results in Blackcomb bowl wow. Sign line on Pikas at bomb shack, patrol said it might go to Die Hard but not father, didn’t ask about 86 but guessing closed as they are working on Peak. Chairs are on harmony but just for patrol to do work.

Just cruising around groomers breaking in new boots. Crowds are not bad at all (except on the main runs).

Huge results in Blackcomb bowl wow. Sign line on Pikas at bomb shack, patrol said it might go to Die Hard but not father, didn’t ask about 86 but guessing closed as they are working on Peak. Chairs are on harmony but just for patrol to do work.

Just cruising around groomers breaking in new boots. Crowds are not bad at all (except on the main runs).
    No crowds??
    I'm missing out
    Ate something last week (norovirus??) or was it a virus from snotty doorhandles at the cafes on piste, or was it
    from breathing someone's sneeze on the chairlift with the wind blowing my way?

It looks good, all this snow coming down is getting things ready for a more than acceptable January.
    Fingers crossed.
    Learning how to stretch my Sartorial muscles thanks to YouTube.

They were heli bombing around Peak and Harmony at 1:30 as the vis opened up. Couldn’t see if anything went big. Didn’t hit Shale slope oddly enough. Coverage looks decent up high now at least (where it hasn’t slid).

They were heli bombing around Peak and Harmony at 1:30 as the vis opened up. Couldn’t see if anything went big. Didn’t hit Shale slope oddly enough. Coverage looks decent up high now at least (where it hasn’t slid).
    Heard that bombing, thought it was incredibly brave to be bombing during the day these days with people just doing whatever the fuck they like on touring gear. Guess having the heli helps to spot poachers.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Heard that bombing, thought it was incredibly brave to be bombing during the day these days with people just doing whatever the fuck they like on touring gear. Guess having the heli helps to spot poachers.
    Natural selection. Cross avalanche closures; pay the consequences.

Heli bombing today—the entire Blackcomb Glacier went, Ladies First, and the ridge above the boundary skin track, size 3.5-4. The monster lurking underneath is gonna be there for a while outside the resort.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Do not go touring!!!!! All of cowboy ripped skier remote!! All flute ripped out etc. People are going to die.

could see a slide right on the exit onto the apron at the end of DOA too