Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    330 million people in a zombie nation with state vs state civil war.
    So business as usual then?

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    So business as usual then?
    Except they drop the "United" pretense part

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I know I'm not suppose to feed the trolls, but here's the numbers:
    12,000 Permeant residents (census data)
    2,500 Seasonal residents (estimated by Municipality)
    35,000 Estimated population equivalent (population equivalent includes permanent residents, seasonal residents and the average number of visitors in Whistler on any given day)
    Um. OK. It just doesn't look like a town of 12,000 actual residents. It looks, to me, more like a few thousand actual residents and then a ton of investments and accommodations (many of which are houses).

What are the chances that a good portion of those 12,000 census data 'residents' are actually just partners and spouses registering a vacation home under one of the spouses names to avoid taxes?

For example, Merrit BC has only 7,139 residents - a number I'd say is accurate since there is no reason to fudge that. And Squamish has 19,512 - a number that also seems accurate just from the look of the place. Whistler Secondary School has only 500 students (not sure what blend of FT/PT students).

Is that typical of a real town of 12,000 permanent residents? Pemberton has just 2,574 residents and yet a Secondary School population of just 307 (2013). That seems quite high per-resident vs Whistler. A lot of the locals in Whistler, that we meet on chairlifts, they say they have a home in the Vancouver area and a home in Whistler.

I guess I'm wondering because, based on the NIMBYism in some smaller places, ahem, such as off-highway sea-to-sky communities that now have large STOP LOCALS ONLY ALLOWED SIGNS (disgusting, I know), I'd expect much more of that from the Whistler community given the more aged/privileged nature of their existence combined with the sheer number of them.

All I see is a few loud voices on forums and Facebook groups, seemingly younger unaffected people, saying STFH.

Just makes me wonder, how much of Whistler is really a business, and how much is a lifestyle permanent destination?

It's a point of inquiry that I just wondered about. Just connecting conjectural dots.
    As a matter of 'how are small towns like this actually impacted by events like this?" ... where any visitor is now seen as a virus and disturbance due to "lower capacity local health care systems?".
    Last edited by puregravity; 04-12-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Yup, it's a total blood bath everywhere "down here."

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    It just doesn't look like a town of 12,000 actual residents. It looks, to me, more like a few thousand actual residents and then a ton of investments and accommodations (many of which are houses).
    What are the chances that a good portion of those 12,000 census data 'residents' are actually just partners and spouses registering a vacation home under one of the spouses names to avoid taxes?
    The following data is coming from a 2017 report prepared from the RMOW's Task Force on Resident Housing.
    Whistler has a year round workforce of 8,300 plus an additional seasonal workforce of 6,200.
    Of that workforce 76% live in Whistler and the other 24% commute to Whistler for work. Thats equals 11,100 Workforce living in Whistler, and 3,400 of the workforce commuting to Whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    330 million people in a zombie nation with state vs state civil war.
    And guns! Lots and lots of guns!

I worry for everyone south of the border. Things do not appear to be going well there from the looks of things.
    Probably depends where you are. In Seattle I doubt things are much different than Whistler overall. Most people limiting travel, a few idiots who cant abide by rules. I'm hopeful that in another few weeks restrictions will start to ease. Heck, maybe the border can even open again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Shoe View Post
    Yup, it's a total blood bath everywhere "down here."
    LA and even NM numbers look decent. Perhaps the lights will stay on there

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    And guns! Lots and lots of guns!
    It will be the greatest reality TV show of this year

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    . Whistler Secondary School has only 500 students (not sure what blend of FT/PT students).

Is that typical of a real town of 12,000 permanent residents? Pemberton has just 2,574 residents and yet a Secondary School population of just 307 (2013).
    I'd bet that there is lots, lots more whistler locals without kids, common progression for lots of my friends has been move to whistler-rent in Whistler-buy in pemby have a kid. And then there's lots of whistler students (especially wealthy families) going to other schools too, Waldorf private school, coast mountain academy, etc. I think the ~10000 number is somewhat accurate. Always be a weird mix here with the seasonal comers and goers, part time people, never grow up ski/bike bums (me) etc.
    Last edited by kevin267; 04-12-2020 at 03:53 PM.

this isnt Nam there are rules
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I vote Meager. It would go well with the theme of 2020 (endless exponential fuckery). May 4th. What do I win if my town drowns in mud?
    If you allow me to include the Purcells I vote for Heather Mountain taking out the Trans-Canada in Glacier National Park (last prolonged closure was 12 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    If you allow me to include the Purcells I vote for Heather Mountain taking out the Trans-Canada in Glacier National Park (last prolonged closure was 12 years ago).
    That debris flow just keeps getting bigger and bigger every year

I vote Meager. It would go well with the theme of 2020 (endless exponential fuckery). May 4th. What do I win if my town drowns in mud?
    I’ll take that action but I hope you’re off by 100 years. The wager is a years worth of homeowners insurance.

My money is on the south face of Joffre. May 21. I want Aussie to come crashing down so we can rename whatever is left to ski.

I worry for everyone south of the border. Things do not appear to be going well there from the looks of things.
    What are you seeing north of the border?

I apologize for doubting the official #Whistlife residency numbers.
    BTW - Whose tracks are those down the Saudan couloir?
    #ItsATrap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0353.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	325273 Slalok looked pretty good yesterday. Still cold out there. Below freezing at 2200m midday, then +20’ in my deck just over an hr later. Gonna be a long spring of touring, snowpack is huge

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Looking very noice.

Thought you guys would like this. Trump thinks it's time to reopen the border: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...t-of-canadian/

“Our relationship with Canada is very good – we’ll talk about that. It will be one of the early borders to be released,” the President said. “Canada’s doing well, we’re doing well – so we’ll see.”
    Not sure most Canadians or Trudeau would agree with his assessment...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Thought you guys would like this. Trump thinks it's time to reopen the border: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...t-of-canadian/

Not sure most Canadians or Trudeau would agree with his assessment...
    Or even most Americans.

Food for thought

If Trump announced today to open all mountains, do you think Trudeau would follow?

Off-topic(ish) but my dad sent this to me the other morning and it elicited a pretty good chuckle

Name:	39f6Rcw.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	325447

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Or even most Americans.
    Hell, I don't even want to speculate on what "most Americans" think anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    Off-topic(ish) but my dad sent this to me the other morning and it elicited a pretty good chuckle

Name:	39f6Rcw.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	325447
    Are you trying to tell me Indiana is not part of Jesusland? Not buying that for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Are you trying to tell me Indiana is not part of Jesusland? Not buying that for a second.
    That's Illinois.