Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/wh...t?oid=15352032
    In the best-case scenario offered by Destination B.C., short-haul tourism could start in June and July of this year, with U.S. travel starting in the fall and international travel by December.

The worst-case scenario suggested short-haul visitation wouldn't start until next spring, U.S. visitation next summer and international visitation not until the winter of 2021.

I wonder if there is no external tourism, if they might only open one of the hills. No way they could afford to run everything with just Canadian traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I wonder if there is no external tourism, if they might only open one of the hills. No way they could afford to run everything with just Canadian traffic.
    100% exactly what they are trying to figure out. I would expect late spring (post telus fest). Just peak chair or 7th.

what hotels and food will be open ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what hotels and food will be open ??
    I'm assuming masks will be the norm for the next year and a bit in shared/public spaces, so if you're sharing a gondola with someone not in your party then keep your face-covering on that you already needed to be wearing to enter the lift line anyway.

Take-out and delivery will be king obviously, and people possibly sitting at every other table? Maybe some sort of dividers between them? The "experts" will figure out how best to implement this, as its a big part of the world's economy and they need to get things going again. Just remember to put your mask on when you get up to take a piss or you'll get heckled!

If you're expecting your "normal" ski scene where you can dance with random people on the bar at Merlins I think we'll have to wait a while for that to come back. 2022 - the year of the orgy.

Thoughts and prayers to this thing mutating or whatever in to something less sketchy. Maybe in September we'll read about the coronavirus being still around but hospitalizations have suddenly vanished? A man can dream.

I noticed the B.C. Premier's reopening plan claims no "international tourism" until there's a vaccine or other treatment. Do you think this would mean the U.S. border will remain closed until that time? Seems like there's going to be tremendous pressure to reopen the U.S. border and I'm assuming that decision is really in the hands of Justin Trudeau, not John Horgan. OTOH why let in only citizens of the country with by far the most cases on the planet?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I noticed the B.C. Premier's reopening plan claims no "international tourism" .....OTOH why let in only citizens of the country with by far the most cases on the planet?
    Therein the heart of the problem

Whistler drives me fucking crazy so I'm not going there anyway, just curious how does one mitigate the situation that has arisen with Covid19 so where do people stay where do people eat night time entertainment ... what people do on vacation ?

Covid has not gone away its < half a year old, we don't know if there is a herd immunity, a vaccine is best case scenario 1.5-2 yrs off and will karen take it anyway ?

I would assume no international Tourism means the USA as well ?

Actualy the US death per capita is not as bad as the euro countries belguim, spain, GB, sweden, France ect but still a skier might have an Ikon pass but can't get into Canada form the USA ?

from my POV we are still in the Pandemic so nothing really has changed from the start of lockdown, people need to distance/ need to use masks and hope for a vaccine

BTW they are letting Americans in but only to drive to AK , they can buy gas and drive for 3 days straight but other wise load up on supplies and that is it period, no stopping to recreate no hotel stays and no licking Canadians eh.

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/05...urXjraOx4mQM-s

I would assume no international Tourism means the USA as well ?
    I think it's a valid assumption, but I don't know whether it's correct. Is border control really within the province's purview? I would imagine this is a federal level decision, but I'm certainly not an expert on Canadian government.

I'm biased because I want to travel to B.C. as soon as possible, but I predict the border opens up sometime in early summer.

Yup the border is federal and its up to JT what/how the provinces reopen their own area is up to the individual provinces

we worship the queen up here

and you got trump

thots and prayers eh

Whistler drives me fucking crazy so I'm not going there anyway, just curious how does one mitigate the situation that has arisen with Covid19 so where do people stay where do people eat night time entertainment ... what people do on vacation ?
    Every business on the planet is going to change the way it operates for a while. Perhaps Whistler operates only one mountain, maybe hotels have to run at 50% occupancy, perhaps restaurants go take-out/delivery only. It's really up to those who operate these businesses to determine how to implement whatever safety recommendations/laws are put in to place by "the experts."

Your standard vacation of crushing first tracks buffet, skiing all day with a break at a crowded rendezvous, followed by spraying booze on people while loud house music plays at the longhorn, and then a fine dinner at araxi and dancing with sweaty australians at garfinkels until 2am isn't coming back any time soon.

Now, if you're in to renting a friend's place for a week, making your own food, and just skiing all day and going to bed early, well, that sounds like paradise to me and I'm all in.

how much money is that going to make ?

I hope the "wait for a vaccine for international travel" does not become the reality. My wife's Canadian and the closed border/forced separation from family is rough. Especially with summer at the cabin at Shuswap supposed to be coming up. Her parents are there right now and the pictures are killing her and the kids. Perfect drysuit skiing there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Where were you guys in January? Easy for me to say since I got my 5 days and they were effing amazing pow. Given the situation and Vail’s model, I think the offers are fair. Also highly doubt many people will truly steer away from WB, at least locally/WA/OR etc.
    Yeah January
    13th-16th
    All time.
    Off the hook, shit it’s been yrs since it was ‘bottomless’ on the resort
    Most locals got ‘tired’ of using up vacation days, thought they got enough pow, when it really went off.

People won’t go elsewhere, they’re addicts who just wanna bitch

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

how much money is that going to make ?
    $100

I dont think its going to make money, but hopefully the town survives. One of the issues is we won't have an influx of front line workers for the winter to man all the stations on both mountains. We struggle with this at the best of times
    I don't see it being dual mountain til international travel opens again, just hope we can tour whatever mountain is closed, that would be sick.

Vail certainly has a built in excuse now when lifts break down or open late.
    Last edited by The AD; 05-11-2020 at 09:58 PM.

So with covid and mandated work from home, our short term stay in whistler, became a long term stay in BC and now an indefinite stay here. Given we've got to find somewhere to live and we're in the process of transitioning to the sea-to-sky permanently seems like a good time to see if we like the lifestyle or just the idea of the lifestyle.

Any insight or guidance on what the rental market is looking like right now - we've checked the usual places, but rents are all over the place and its tough to tell what's a reasonable price because its a dump vs what's crazy expensive because the owner is pre-covid optimistic. If it helps at all, looking for a decent 2 bedroom place for 2 professionals and a dog. Squamish or whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    So with covid and mandated work from home, our short term stay in whistler, became a long term stay in BC and now an indefinite stay here. Given we've got to find somewhere to live and we're in the process of transitioning to the sea-to-sky permanently seems like a good time to see if we like the lifestyle or just the idea of the lifestyle.

Any insight or guidance on what the rental market is looking like right now - we've checked the usual places, but rents are all over the place and its tough to tell what's a reasonable price because its a dump vs what's crazy expensive because the owner is pre-covid optimistic. If it helps at all, looking for a decent 2 bedroom place for 2 professionals and a dog. Squamish or whistler.
    I doubt long term rentals have dropped that much ‘yet’. There are a lot more rentals on the market as the AirBNB people try to make some money with no daily rentals going on, but they are mostly aimed at a short term, thru the summer thing. We usually rent our place for the summer and normally have it rented out before the end of April. Not this year, and not looking good even though we have dropped our price. If you like to gamble, you might want to signup a short term gig, and hope (is that the right word) that things don’t look good in the fall in which case you will probably have more options as people get desperate and start dropping prices.

My take on this as someone on the battle lines in Whistler when it comes to housing.
    Lots and lots of places came up April 1st. They are mainly the places that people who are here for 6-12 months rent. High prices / High turnover, generally dont want to live in kind of places. Almost all offering discounts. That said, they were still significantly more expensive than what I pay, and what most people who live here long term deem affordable. None of the good places came online, because most of the people who rent them, are sticking around and trying to make it work.
    As elderado said, lots of Air BnBs hitting the market, with promises of good rent and maybe thru the winter, but i wouldn't bank on that if they don't agree to a year long lease as they will just find a way to boot you if it picks up in time for winter.
    If you are on FB check Whistler Housing for Locals and Whistler housing crisis. Thats what i use.

We looked extensively for May 1st but couldn't find anything that suited us perfectly (we are in a decent place now, just always looking for more space). That said there were quite a few reasonable places. You'll also find something good in Pemberton right now if that is on your list.

So in the April 27 announcement and email from WB it said they would be getting in touch with each person by email in the coming weeks to let us know what credit we get on a new pass/card. And that we can start using that credit as of May 13.

Has anyone actually got an email from WB with their credit info?

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post

You can join (facebook) Whistler Housing for Locals which is better than craigslist. International travel to Canada isn't opening any time soon which also affects companies looking for workers. AirBnB or Owner Direct is another option for long term rental but make sure you sign a BC Rental Agreement. It's not looking very profitable for short-term rentals these days.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    So in the April 27 announcement and email from WB it said they would be getting in touch with each person by email in the coming weeks to let us know what credit we get on a new pass/card. And that we can start using that credit as of May 13.

Has anyone actually got an email from WB with their credit info?
    No.

I think they said the emails would go out on the 13th, but I haven't seen it yet.

Looks like a few more weeks till the border opens back up for non-essential travel:
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ial-travel-to/

Just got mine, check your inboxes folks!