Page 32 of 59 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    ... but seriously. how do you get 40% if you've used 1 of a two day edge card, but 20% if you've used 5 of 10 days?

that's some serious bullshit math.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    ... but seriously. how do you get 40% if you've used 1 of a two day edge card, but 20% if you've used 5 of 10 days?

that's some serious bullshit math.
    Because you get credit for a pass of equal or greater value.

The kicker though is the credit is applied to the price you paid LAST YEAR. So, you are getting even less of a credit when you apply it to the raised prices for this years' passes.

Oh well, it's Vail - bend over and take it or (try to) ski somewhere else. Fuck this virus, man.
    Last edited by paulster2626; 04-28-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Thought you had to buy a pass of equal or greater value?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Oh well, it's Vail - bend over and take it or (try to) ski somewhere else. Fuck this virus, man.
    ... but yep. Sadly this.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Thought you had to buy a pass of equal or greater value?

... but yep. Sadly this.
    Oof - that's what I meant. Been having some weird dreams lately, which is one of the COVID symptoms. Maybe it's also affecting my ability to type on forums.

I will edit that so as not to cause more confucius.

Bought the edge cards on my visa infinite travel card. They will refund my entire purchase. FKNA

Quote Originally Posted by kicool View Post
    I am skiing the duffey tmrw. Leaving whistler at 6:30 am.
    Shoulda checked before I left.
    Hope ya found some good snow.
    Decent for me above 1600m-pow above 1700m

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	850.4 KB 
ID:	326781

Forecast looks good for some more alpine snow tomorrow night. Access is gonna start to be more challenging though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

I've changed my mind. I truly believe Edge Card credits for next year are total bullshit now. They should just roll over the days you paid for and didn't use to next season. I didn't buy lottery tickets or vouchers. I bought lift tickets. 5 of them. It's not like they closed a few weeks early - the place got shut down right smack in the middle of a LOT of people's main travel time.

It doesn't cost them anything to do just roll over the unused days. If anything, it gets your ass out there MORE than you would normally and then probably spend whatever on a sandwich or a few beers or whatever. Asses in chairs is what they're gonna need next season.

Up to 80% off next year's edge card (but not really 80% since the price went up) is total fucking garbage.

Fuck them - I know a lot of people will say good riddance and appreciate one less tourist on their mountains, but I may never go to Whistler ever again. As of right now I'm thinking of doing whatever it takes to ensure that Vail never sees another dime from me. I have friends in North Van and Whistler so the pull to go back will be strong, which will be tough.

From what I can tell (maybe Lee Lau can chime in) Vail are seriously hurting. If they don't make any money from ticket sales next year for WB then maybe it will be too much for them. I think your logic of them closing early is flawed. They would have still been open if it was feasible and safe to do so. This is more than what I expected of them tbh, though im not in a position where i feel like i lost anything as I skied a bunch.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out with Class Action lawsuits. If they lose, man it could be a huge struggle for them.

I got a grand total of two marginal December days on my Epic Pass this year: one at Blackcomb, one at Whistler just to access the new hut and the access was pretty rough. However I am happy with 56% credit toward next year. We drove to Telluride on March 14, unpacked our stuff, then I read the Colorado executive order from Polis that evening and drove home the next day. It was probably the right call. We were ready to cancel before the trip then the kids cried about not going. Oh well, these are exceptional circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    From what I can tell (maybe Lee Lau can chime in) Vail are seriously hurting. If they don't make any money from ticket sales next year for WB then maybe it will be too much for them. I think your logic of them closing early is flawed. They would have still been open if it was feasible and safe to do so. This is more than what I expected of them tbh, though im not in a position where i feel like i lost anything as I skied a bunch.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out with Class Action lawsuits. If they lose, man it could be a huge struggle for them.
    Whistler could roll over unused EDGE CARD days at zero cost to themselves and the customer. They are days already paid for. What would likely happen is people would use up the days they had left, and then buy some more regular tickets to compliment their trip(s). An already-paid-for lift ticket is something that would be valuable to have your customers keep with them. It means they still need to show up to use it, which means they need somewhere to stay, eat, drink, rent gear, whatever.

Do they REALLY need that $120 from me to re-up my 5 day card this year? Is that really going to push their cash flow over the top? I can guaranfuckingtee we spend a hell of a lot more than $240 on resort-owned shit around the resort when we're there. People on the lifts at any cost should be what's priority #1 next year, but admittedly I do not have a degree in Ski Area Management.

I've never been an anti-Vail guy, but I would bet that 4 years ago our edge cards would've still been good for next season. Hell, put a time limit on it if you want (your days are good until the end of January 2021) or something. But not like this. I found their message to be a little condescending "well we were open most of the year so you should have used your edge cards." Ya, no shit.

Do they REALLY need that $120 from me to re-up my 5 day card this year? Is that really going to push their cash flow over the top?
    Honestly, I think they probably do. Pass sales have to be critical to their business model now. They're counting on that large infusion of cash before the season starts. Pass sales for next year are already going to be down because there's so much uncertainty with COVID-19. Keep in mind the number of skiers on the mountain doesn't affect their operating costs much. I have a feeling we'll see less grooming, more lift closures, etc. next year, but they can only do so much to keep operating costs down.

Well, fuck me. Haven't gotten my VISA claim forms via email yet, so called them to ask what's up. They have no record of my initial claim - well that's stupid, but no problem. Get a cheery, bubbly agent on the line, who offers to start the process over. Sure, whatever. Load out my schpiel again...

She then happily tells me that because at the time the Canadian Government wasn't issuing travel advisories to domestic travel I'm not covered (why did she seem happy to say this?). I'm like, this is the total opposite of what I was told earlier - plus, the mountain shut down operations. We were still gonna go! Then I get the lecture on what the previous agent said before has no bearing on what this call is about. Starting to get pissed, but I maintain composure. Ask to just proceed with the claim so I can get the package to fill out and send it with accompanying documents. She complies, and apparently they're coming for sure this time.

I'm 99% certain this lady is wrong. This card is supposed to cover everything travel-related for any reason. That's the whole point of it! Now I'm spending the rest of my morning reading fine print. Ugh FUCK YOU COVID 19!!!

I'm 99% certain this lady is wrong. This card is supposed to cover everything travel-related for any reason. That's the whole point of it! Now I'm spending the rest of my morning reading fine print. Ugh FUCK YOU COVID 19!!!
    I know most travel insurance doesn't cover scenarios where you choose not to go for whatever reason, but that's not really the case here. You couldn't use your Edge card because the mountain was closed. I could see how they, for example, wouldn't want to refund airfare, but this is different.

I guess all you guys complaining about your unused days, always use them up before the end of the year. My bet is that a great number of edge cards end up with unused day’s every year due to people who buy them, and then for whatever reason, Don’t ski as often as they thought they were going to. And that Vail took those numbers into consideration when they cam up with this policy.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I guess all you guys complaining about your unused days, always use them up before the end of the year. My bet is that a great number of edge cards end up with unused day’s every year due to people who buy them, and then for whatever reason, Don’t ski as often as they thought they were going to. And that Vail took those numbers into consideration when they cam up with this policy.
    I actually was only gonna get 4 out of mine. The 5th would've been a bonus at Steaux or something later on (unlikely, given the shitty year).

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I always do, but I'm sure you're correct.

Whistler could roll over unused EDGE CARD days at zero cost to themselves and the customer. They are days already paid for. What would likely happen is people would use up the days they had left, and then buy some more regular tickets to compliment their trip(s). An already-paid-for lift ticket is something that would be valuable to have your customers keep with them. It means they still need to show up to use it, which means they need somewhere to stay, eat, drink, rent gear, whatever.

Do they REALLY need that $120 from me to re-up my 5 day card this year? Is that really going to push their cash flow over the top? I can guaranfuckingtee we spend a hell of a lot more than $240 on resort-owned shit around the resort when we're there. People on the lifts at any cost should be what's priority #1 next year, but admittedly I do not have a degree in Ski Area Management.

I've never been an anti-Vail guy, but I would bet that 4 years ago our edge cards would've still been good for next season. Hell, put a time limit on it if you want (your days are good until the end of January 2021) or something. But not like this. I found their message to be a little condescending "well we were open most of the year so you should have used your edge cards." Ya, no shit.
    The issue isn't that its just WB. Its that is every single person who bought a pass. (though maybe the don't have edge cards elsewhere, i've never looked into it). There is also likely the people who buy a seasons pass knowing they are going to a 10 day vacation (still works out much cheaper to buy the seasons pass) then once they get there, realize they suck at skiing, its hard on their fat bodies and only ski 6 out of 10. These people can now apply for money back due to covid even if they had already been on there 1 and only ski trip.

I do agree though, if you have a pass, flights booked, and it all gets pulled out from under you, it would be nice to just redo next year.

in other news.
    Grizzly spotted in Whistler Cay according to the pique.
    https://www.facebook.com/PiqueNewsma...57915235895622

Just call them- their news release said the discounts r not concrete and every situation is different and they would work with everyone to make sure they r happy. I for one will be calling them to negotiate getting a better deal on a pass they r offering me.

If they dont agree- f”k em spend my money somewhere else. I know whats fair in my mind and mathematicalY backed up but if they disagree plenty of options someplace else...

I for one- had 2 shit days at Stevens pass with nothing open, skied for a couple hours, skied Nakiska for 2 more at 2 hours a day to get my legs moving and 3 days at khorse which one day I spent 1hour stuck on the gondola and 3hours standing in a line up while the gondola was shut down and getting 2 runs before calling it. That just doesn’t add up to the discount offered....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 05-01-2020 at 07:08 AM.

I used one of my Edge card days at Vail and one at Stevens Pass. Kind of regret using it at Stevens now, but at the time I figured it was "use it or lose it" and I was correct since Vail announced all mountains were closing the next day. Glad I got that final day of skiing in, but I'd certainly rather have used it at Whistler.

Isothermic to 1850m
    Some alright snow up above 2200.
    Corn harvesting has begun.

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	327011

Find the skier......

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	327013

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	789.5 KB 
ID:	327014

Don’t like Vail.
    Easy-fuck em-don’t support them.

Or at least rock a Vailmart sticker—

Name:	Image1588351067.836839.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	869.8 KB 
ID:	327016

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Where were you guys in January? Easy for me to say since I got my 5 days and they were effing amazing pow. Given the situation and Vail’s model, I think the offers are fair. Also highly doubt many people will truly steer away from WB, at least locally/WA/OR etc.

I don't think it's really fair to judge how people did or did not use their passes up until the closure. Vail's model forces you to purchase way ahead of time as they close certain pass products early, even if you don't plan to use until the latter part of the season.

I buy an edge card every year to use in the spring when everyone else is mountain biking and the mountain is empty. Pretty much touring and sledding up until then. Given I'm mainly skiing weekends, lineups are just not worth it.

Got pretty fucked by Vail, but it is what it is.

Agreed you can't judge how people use their passes.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Where were you guys in January? Easy for me to say since I got my 5 days and they were effing amazing pow. Given the situation and Vail’s model, I think the offers are fair. Also highly doubt many people will truly steer away from WB, at least locally/WA/OR etc.
    Ontario. Wife's a teacher. Head out to Whistler every March break to hang with family and friends. So, that's our two edge cards unused. Add in my buddy and his wife and that's two more right there. Add in my brother in law in North Van and you've got a 5th. We were all waiting for this trip.

And I know where I live sucks, and everyone from Ontario is an asshole. Believe me, I'd love to fix this problem but sometimes you gotta bloom where you're planted, knowwhatimsayin'? Thank Jesus we got another trip done in February elsewhere, otherwise I'd probably kill myself.