Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    H4/H5 -> traverse -> Boomer -> Wet Dreams... the classic Harmony pow day first lap. Could go for one of those right about now.
    I usually bomb down harmony ridge right to boomer and barrels. I’ll toss in a H5 next time. I should break my Blackcomb habit for the next pow day. Been a while for sure.

Anyone know what's happened to the link to Whistler weather stations. There used to be a direct link to each of the weather stations on the mountain where you can view the temps, snowfall, wind in real time. Pretty sure it wasn't a public link but seems all of the locals knew about it. Anyways the link no longer works as of this season. Was wondering if anyone knows where it may have been moved to. Please PM me directly if you know. Thx

Someone posted the link within the last few pages of this thread.

edit: found it https://secure.whistlerblackcomb.com...r/default.aspx

I’m ascending upon your grand ski slopes mid month 2/16 - 2/22. I think I ask this every trip but is the best ticket deal to just buy 7 days in advance. Coming from Oregon. Learned to ski at whistler but my parents were stupid and moved from Vancouver to Oregon when I was young.

Danke

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I’m ascending upon your grand ski slopes mid month 2/16 - 2/22. I think I ask this every trip but is the best ticket deal to just buy 7 days in advance. Coming from Oregon. Learned to ski at whistler but my parents were stupid and moved from Vancouver to Oregon when I was young.

Danke
    The only better option is to get someone who has an Epic pass already who can score you some buddy passes for 50% off or whatever. But they have to actually go and buy them the day of, if I'm not mistaken. You can always call them up and ask - the ticket people would know best and I find them pretty helpful.

My parents decided to remain in Ontario instead of moving west when I was young, so they are stupider than yours.

Lift ticket question of my own:

I'm headed out in March, but bought a 5-day Edge card back in November. Had one last year, got an email this year saying "good news your card has shipped!" but nothing ever came. Do they just reload the previous Edge card, or are new ones sent out every year?

Interwebz will know. One thing I’d for certain not risk doing is calling or emailing the ticket office.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Interwebz will know. One thing I’d for certain not risk doing is calling or emailing the ticket office.
    They've changed, huh? I remember a time when you could call those ladies and they'd hook you up with some sort of wizardry to save as much $$$ as possible. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that Vail now has them on commission.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Lift ticket question of my own:

I'm headed out in March, but bought a 5-day Edge card back in November. Had one last year, got an email this year saying "good news your card has shipped!" but nothing ever came. Do they just reload the previous Edge card, or are new ones sent out every year?
    If you already had one then it should have just been loaded onto that card. I've been using the same one for several years now. I'd definitely give 'em a call just to be sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    If you already had one then it should have just been loaded onto that card. I've been using the same one for several years now. I'd definitely give 'em a call just to be sure, though.
    I'll just go in there when I roll in to town. Either way I need my $5 shipping fee back!

Not sure it’s a Whistler question, but it’s something I deal with more at Whistler than at other places.

I think it’s a humidity thing, but can anyone: (i) explain why, after a wet snowfall, the subsequent cold snap sometime results in the snow hardening up and getting ugly while other times it dries it out and makes for some of the best skiing of the year; and (ii) if it’s a humidity thing, where that information available for the mountain/at elevation (it’s reported at the village level, but that doesn’t seem to be that helpful – or my humidity theory is all bunk so it has no impact).

AND, I'm stupider than you all - I grew up there, skiing WB and moved my own ass out for work, so, you know, checkmate on who's the dumbest (in fairness, I didn't know housing would triple in price making going back pretty hard...)

Humidity, total saturation of the snow pack pre-cooling, solar effect, net temperature swing are all major factors in the process you're describing. It is quite rare to have low enough humidity levels here to get significant "drying" of the snow without crust formation. Ability to evaporate water is dependent on ambient temp and humidity as the lower the ambient temp, the lower the evaporative potential for the same RH%. Further, if a rain event has occurred, the saturation levels are too high to avoid crust formation. This process can really only take place if we're strictly talking about moist snow (water equivalent ratio of 8-14%). Anything over that and the snow is too wet to dry out before a crust forms.

The weather link posted above contains what you need. Arfi can also get you there with a bit of sleuthing.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I usually bomb down harmony ridge right to boomer and barrels. I’ll toss in a H5 next time. I should break my Blackcomb habit for the next pow day. Been a while for sure.
    Hah, funny I am the opposite, always been a Whistler guy. Have only had one Blackcomb pow day since the new lifts went in and I was rusty with the morning pre-Crystal routine. Only thing with H5 is you have to put in the traverse to Boomer which takes enough time that a bunch of people are going to be in there before you, so I usually only do it when vis warrants.

Good weather info nickel.

WIll be there this weekend for 4 days. How is the mountain skiing. is the rain from last week still an issue. any rain crusts I need to be worried about off-piste. Hoping to ski harmony bowl, peak chair, spankys, secret chute.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post
    Hoping to ski harmony bowl, peak chair, spankys, secret chute.
    Where is secret chute?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Where is secret chute?
    duuuh, it's a secret!

WIll be there this weekend for 4 days. How is the mountain skiing. is the rain from last week still an issue. any rain crusts I need to be worried about off-piste. Hoping to ski harmony bowl, peak chair, spankys, secret chute.
    Blackcomb was skiing okay this morning. The rain event got covered but dust on crust type deal lower down. Icy AF in places. Upper mountain is good to go tho but lots of frozen debris to slam into in a white out.

You’ll have a good time. Let’s us know where this secret bowl is.

Let’s us know where this secret bowl is.
    Don't doom the spot. #doomthespot

Hoping to ski harmony bowl, peak chair, spankys, secret chute.
    Let’s us know where this secret bowl is.
    WAIt, there is a Secret BOWL and a Secret CHUTE!

No. That’s bollox they don’t exist

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hey, there's even a secret gondola. Called kadenwood, heard the skiing is awesome up there Tell everyone to load up there on a powder day

Quote Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
    Hey, there's even a secret gondola. Called kadenwood, heard the skiing is awesome up there Tell everyone to load up there on a powder day
    Better than the secret tunnel to Whistler from Blackcomb! (pre Peak 2 Peak)
    Reminds me of a really funny story. One morning we were at the top of Hortsman T-Bar pulling the plywood covers off of the tunnel that runs underneath the T-Bar line.
    Because of a mechanical issue Crystal Chair was not running yet, so the restaurant staff from Crystal Hut had to ride 7th Heaven Chair and ski the traverse across Hortsman Glacier to get to their restaurant.
    They were unloading the top of 7th just as we were pulling the south side doors off of the tunnel, and they all stopped in amazement and questioned "what is that", we were a little confused on what they were referring to. So we responded "Its a tunnel", and to their amazement they responded "WOW, to where?" "Where does it go?"
    Still to this day me and my buddy, any time we see a tunnel, or someone mentions a tunnel, we look at each other and laugh and say "where does it go?"

Blackcomb was skiing okay this morning. The rain event got covered but dust on crust type deal lower down. Icy AF in places. Upper mountain is good to go tho but lots of frozen debris to slam into in a white out.

You’ll have a good time. Let’s us know where this secret bowl is.
    Thx for the update. But are you guys pulling my leg about secret chute/Bowl. It’s on the map!!!

U make a left off of 7th, go down the ridge and hook a right. It feeds into Blue Line. You can see it on the right as you go up Glacier about half way up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

But are you guys pulling my leg about secret chute/Bowl. It’s on the map!!!

U make a left off of 7th, go down the ridge and hook a right. It feeds into Blue Line. You can see it on the right as you go up Glacier about half way up.
    Yes its on the map, and it can hold some really nice snow in there.

XYZ is right, high alpine above crust is skiing great, other than large chunks of debris. Wind pressed and chalky in places.
    Hopefully Friday night's storm kills a bit of the lower mountain crust but i doubt it.
    Nice to see the PWL removed from the avi bulletins too. Hoepfully can start to get onto some bigger faces.