Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Last years thread is jinxing us. So I'm starting a new one to guarantee endless epic blower deep pow for eternity.

Here's a pic from yesterday to get things off to a good start:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6183.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	305506

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Last years thread is jinxing us. So I'm starting a new one to guarantee endless epic blower deep pow for eternity.

Here's a pic from yesterday to get things off to a good start:

Name:	IMG_6183.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	305506
    Were you at the top yesterday with your partner? Possibly in a blue jacket?

Those ski poles look like Fish from Finding Nemo having a conversation.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Were you at the top yesterday with your partner? Possibly in a blue jacket?
    Yeah that was probably me

Taken by my mother today.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Guys

I am hoping to ski whistler Sunday to wednesday. there's a minor storm next couple of days - official website forecast about 12". Is that enough to open the alpine? I also see some reports of "storm door opening" next week with snow on Mon-tue-wed. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Just looking for predictions/best guesses.

Need to pull the trigger by tomorrow.

Thx
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post
    Is that enough to open the alpine?
    Not even close

While there is sufficient snow up high in the alpine for skiing (Whistler Bowl and Shale slope are well tracked ) the issue is that you quickly run into picking your way thru boulder fields which isn’t something you let the public do. A meter should do the trick, 30cm not so much.

Lots of small dustings ahead, but nowhere near any big mega-dumps. There is a huge bomb of precip out in the Pacific, but a ridge over the coast is blocking. Christmas came late this year.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/...-continue.html

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    A meter should do the trick, 30cm not so much.
    At least a 69cm storm is required before any alpine lifts have safe exits, although the saddle and harmony ridge may go online with 42.0cm.

upper franz' is pretty much always a skating rink, unless it's snowed 50cm of the wet coasts finest cement, then it's a skating rink with VW sized moguls by 11am

Well, at least the new thread got started, finally!

I’m heading up Sunday for the week with rock skis and a touring set up in slightly better condition.

I’ll be with the wife and kid, but will have a few days I’d love to get into the alpine if I can find a partner.

Anyone around next week?

Fingers crossed for snow!!!

Check out the snowfall prediction map Norseman posted in the PNW thread. I'll make no further comment.

I'll see y'all in March. Until then, good luck to everyone.

For the measly price of $169 (plus taxes) you too can ski a few machine groomed, somewhat rock infested, runs on Whistler and Blackcomb.
    If that's not your thing, you can wait till the surface gets cleaned and by midday,
    you can even skate in a few places (esp with dull edges).

That's right, for only $169 (plus taxes) window price.
    Make no mistake, your $900 ski jacket will make you feel like you just skied powder!

If you so happen to not like that price,
    please stay for the holiday 'peak season' rate of
    $189 (plus taxes) towards the end of December.

The views are good.
    There is no doubt about that.
    Saw a few people shralping the Saudan Cool-loire Rcckfest today.

Parking is still free in lot 4 right now.

FYI - it currently is worse than the last time there was a drought, 2003/4?? when it was hay bales and green grass shoots in February.

I guess we've been spoiled the last few years.
    things will shape up.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

I think it was a year ago, that the Mayor of WB wrote the major Canadian oil companies to tell them that they expected them to pay WB for the costs associated with Climate change - "demanded fossil fuel companies pay for costs associated with climate change."

Well. You can imagine how that went over considering that 100% of WB visitors get there by car or by plane and that oil is an ingredient in almost every automated and/or mechanical invention related to skiing.

That was one year ago today.
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-change-letter

An industry, without which WB would not make one red cent this year or any year past,or any year in the next 25 to 50 years.

It's time to get real WB.
    Start with ticket prices.
    And also get back in touch with the roots.

I love WB. But it can't be sustainable as a 1% destination forever.
    There needs to be a balance that sustains the sport and the average joe.

I've actually met the nicest people on the lifts thus far this year. The sun has been out a lot. There are in fact lots of smiling faces. The crowds on the slopes are in fact quite reasonable. People have spirit.
    The staff are amazing. The Patrollers and crew that run the place are First Rate.
    There is nothing to not like about the Vail administration.
    They really do a good job.
    But $169 for a day ticket, in these conditions. That's laughable.
    Show some goodwill and recognize that additional value needs to be offered at this time.
    It only makes sense given the holiday season and the risk that people might stay away.

I too find the price unpalatable but to play devil's advocate, i can't imagine the 5 runs currently open with twice as many people so maybe there's an argument for reasonable season pass prices and exorbitant day tickets...

I wonder what percentage of the current skiers on the mountain are using passes of some kind? I bet it's a huge percentage. Anyone paying the day rate is out of their mind.

Forecast is about 80cm next week, then Xmas week is solid sunny blue skies. This rare snow drought is about to create an absolute ant-hill of chaos.

Recent peak Xmas periods have seen 35,000 skiers/riders on both rocks. Now while some will stay away until after the big dumps, many have booked long ago (especially families) and are committed.
    It will be like skiing in Japan, without the polite courtesy. Collisions & fights, chaos & entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I too find the price unpalatable but to play devil's advocate, i can't imagine the 5 runs currently open with twice as many people so maybe there's an argument for reasonable season pass prices and exorbitant day tickets...
    You have a point. This keeps things manageable

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I wonder what percentage of the current skiers on the mountain are using passes of some kind? I bet it's a huge percentage. Anyone paying the day rate is out of their mind.
    The multi-day online prices for tickets does bring things down - a bit. Unless you got an Epic Pass, Edge Card special or early season deal .... fork over the greenbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
    Forecast is about 80 cm next week, then Xmas week is solid sunny blue skies. This rare snow drought is about to create an absolute ant-hill of chaos.

Recent peak Xmas periods have seen 35,000 skiers/riders on both rocks. Now while some will stay away until after the big dumps, many have booked long ago (especially families) and are committed.
    It will be like skiing in Japan, without the polite courtesy. Collisions & fights, chaos & entertainment.
    Just bring the GoPro and wait around liftlines and skiouts. Then sell the fight club footy to Unofficial Networks.
    Use proceeds to buy next years season Pass.

Solved

Name:	IMG_6213.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	306253

This can all be yours! Only 169$. Limited time offer while supplies last.

Anyone have any interest or know someone that could use half a pair of renegades? Skied 7 days total (last year ), the other one didn’t survive. This one is mint. 196

Name:	0EA66699-A8E9-43AE-9E64-0F6BD514898D.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	537.0 KB 
ID:	306265