Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Haha saw that earlier. Haven’t there been multiple rescues out of that cliff band over the years? Shitty times for that boarder, peanut gallery probably makes it worse (but at least someone can call for help).
    That's a weekly occurrence at Baker. Seems like every year, I see ski patrol tossing some poor guy a harness off Pan Dome cliffs.

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Whoa! Sleeper pow day today. Mixed rain snow in the village but cold blow up high. Some very legit spankies runs. Super sluffey out there. I think it was Pow11 that cut off false face on me. I went for a 100 kph ride down the coulior. Nice to enter quasar with a little speed tho.

Don’t think whis alpine cracked. Could be great tomorrow.

T-Bar opened at 12:30 or so, very deep, but absolutely zero vis until the treeline. Had to bail back home after that one run, but didn't look like Harmony was opening any time soon, patrol was standing there telling people "maybe in an hour".

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post

Don’t think whis alpine cracked. Could be great tomorrow.
    Peak didn't open. Coming up tomorrow. Fingers crossed

I'm assuming* the mid mountain trees have filled in enough after this last cycle that they are worth the time while we wait for the alpine lifts to open?

*madly hoping that they have stayed fresh and not been turned into a sloppy, icy mess as a result of rising freezing levels and wet snow/sleet...

Am chance my assumption proves true?

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    I'm assuming* the mid mountain trees have filled in enough after this last cycle that they are worth the time while we wait for the alpine lifts to open?

*madly hoping that they have stayed fresh and not been turned into a sloppy, icy mess as a result of rising freezing levels and wet snow/sleet...

Am chance my assumption proves true?
    as of the end of last week I'd say they were pretty solid, definitely still had to play heads up with deadfall and whatnot, but overall decent coverage....can't comment on status after the rising freezing levels as I haven't been up since saturday aft.

Quote Originally Posted by eggsbenedict View Post
    T-Bar opened at 12:30 or so, very deep, but absolutely zero vis until the treeline. Had to bail back home after that one run, but didn't look like Harmony was opening any time soon, patrol was standing there telling people "maybe in an hour".
    Harmony ran at some point...friends got stuck on it for 1/2 an hour with it stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Harmony ran at some point...friends got stuck on it for 1/2 an hour with it stopped.
    Keep hearing about lifts stopping for extended periods. Whistler's lift ops team is looking kinda ghetto this year.

I hope the facilities team increases the amount of bleach they put in the restaurant, washroom, and lodge services cleaning solution. The Rabbit's Foot also lives a long time on cold dry surfaces. So maybe not the best time to hold the lift bar and then wipe nose with glove.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Hanging roll: 3.5 crossed highway 86

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post
    Thats big!

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post

And I hear it was triggered with only a 1kg charge!

WB should use pics of the Hanging Roll slide to educate people on why avalanche control closures need to be respected. It seems to run past Hwy-86 at least once every couple years if not more, might get some people to understand what patrol is dealing with up there and what the risks of being in the wrong place are or least deal with some of the "when is the alpine opening" whiners. Not sure if marketing will be keen on such a campaign given the recent inbounds avalanche deaths in the US.

Looks warm, windy and wet up there today. Also more random lifts down with "maintenance on scene", Catskinner this time.

Waited at Creekside gondola until 9:00 when it opened, Went up Red and did one run down Ratfink, then bailed back to the gondola and down. My knees can’t take 30 cm of rain soaked snow. Almost went over the handle bars on the way down when we headed off the skied stuff and onto a few cm of new on groomed. Instant stick.

Too bad about the warm up - yesterday was really good on Whistler with only poor vis up top limiting some of the fun.

You could begin to feel the firmness under the fresh at about 1650m yesterday and some of the trees were pretty dodgy with lots of tree bomb crustiness. Given the temp spike and the forecast cooling this weekend, I would say trees are probably out until a decent reset to your elevation of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeius View Post
    Too bad about the warm up - yesterday was really good on Whistler with only poor vis up top limiting some of the fun.

You could begin to feel the firmness under the fresh at about 1650m yesterday and some of the trees were pretty dodgy with lots of tree bomb crustiness. Given the temp spike and the forecast cooling this weekend, I would say trees are probably out until a decent reset to your elevation.
    Yesterday was pretty sweet but man, Tuesday could of been the best day of the season for me. With the wind and heavy snowfall at times, every run I had snow exploding all up in my grill. Zero lift lines as well. I just love those days. I’ll never complain about 30cm overnight but the morning gong shows with crowds and alpine lift wait time it can be one and done. I’ll take 7 cm back to back storm days for a week over that any day.

And I hear it was triggered with only a 1kg charge!
    Yep. Remote from dinner bell

Anyone have any experiencing skiing up at Hurley Pass Lodge/Backcountry Snowcats? Looking at the cat assisted touring packages that Altus Mtn Guides are doing up there for a trip next winter. Curious what the skiing is like mostly, not too concerned about lodge/food etc. Other option is Whitecap which we have done before so thinking about mixing it up.

Also anyone have GPS of the lodge? Trying to get a sense of the terrain up there but can’t find it on google earth.

Also anyone have GPS of the lodge? Trying to get a sense of the terrain up there but can’t find it on google earth.
    The Lodge
    The Hurley Mountain Lodge is a modular building designed to accommodate up to 14 guests and our staff. It’s situated right in the mountains, 1430 meters (5000 feet) above sea level in the Hope Creek Valley, at the bottom of the Black Forest zone which features some of our best tree skiing.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/50%...669823!5m1!1e4

Did spankies crack today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-R View Post
    The Lodge
    The Hurley Mountain Lodge is a modular building designed to accommodate up to 14 guests and our staff. It’s situated right in the mountains, 1430 meters (5000 feet) above sea level in the Hope Creek Valley, at the bottom of the Black Forest zone which features some of our best tree skiing.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/50%...669823!5m1!1e4
    Thanks!

Thanks!
    I’d honestly divert that money to a trip to the interior. Some ghetto cat skiing etc. Much more reliable for good snow. Not that it would suck but the coast is so fickle.

Did spankies crack today?
    It did yesterday. Got a couple of laps on Diamond Bowl. It was exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    It did yesterday. Got a couple of laps on Diamond Bowl. It was exceptional.
    Nice. I heard. Seventh opened today. The coulior was a heli line. Spankies filled back in nicely. Freakin no body out getting after it today. Nice to see the sun for once too.

Excited for Whistler this weekend, Saturday should be dope. Friday looks to be...wet. Oh well, will make the best with the time I have there.