Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Can’t see the bike park opening. Where are the staff going to come from? Sounds like they are trying to put plans together but so much is unknown. Wonder when they will decide re: Crankworx.
    Ya im also thinking its unlikely to happen.
    Very worried about ski season next year and to be honest my general livelyhood. The possibility that things won't be back til normal til there is widely available vaccine is becoming more apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Can’t see the bike park opening. Where are the staff going to come from? Sounds like they are trying to put plans together but so much is unknown. Wonder when they will decide re: Crankworx.
    Build it and they will come.

Park Ranger at the Cerise parking lot today. Telling people to spread out or something. I hope he doesn’t go to the hut, quite a few people hanging out inside the hut. Car pooling too. I hope they don’t ruin it for the rest of us, as the skiing has been great!

people always ruin it for everyone...we're living in a highly selfish era.

Envious of you guys up north, Washington state closed down the backcountry a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Envious of you guys up north, Washington state closed down the backcountry a few weeks ago
    It’s been a great week and today was actually one of my better lines of the year but warm weather is coming tomorrow. So it’s pretty much done unless you just want to go for a tour etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    It’s been a great week and today was actually one of my better lines of the year but warm weather is coming tomorrow. So it’s pretty much done unless you just want to go for a tour etc.
    Dont think ive ever skied so many 2000m+ days in my life. Its been pretty dreamy this past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I guess I'm a glass half full kinda guy, but I'm hopefully next year's season will be on. Maybe some continued safety alterations, but we'll get to ski lift-served.
    I expect they'll have discovered/developed some sort of treatment by the summer which will ease the load on hospitals, masks in public places will be the norm to slow transmission, and enough of the population will have immunity determined through proper testing that this won't be as huge of a deal as it is now. The entire world is focused on fixing this problem, a solution will come quick. We will be able to use our carried-over Edge Card days no problem. You heard it here first!

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Dont think ive ever skied so many 2000m+ days in my life. Its been pretty dreamy this past few weeks.
    For sure. Just be sure to not feed the trolls with your stoke. Good gawd there’s some butt hurt folks thinking skiing is the same as coughing in an old persons face.

As much as the trolls are definitely freaking out, basically all levels of government in BC are telling people to stay home. If you think you're being safe/reasonable and relatively risk free, then fuck, get after it... but probably not the time to dick wave about it on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    As much as the trolls are definitely freaking out, basically all levels of government in BC are telling people to stay home. If you think you're being safe/reasonable and relatively risk free, then fuck, get after it... but probably not the time to dick wave about it on the internet.
    I'm personally OK with ski touring and biking as its still legal, its local to me it's very easy to distance at trailheads etc. And I've probably had at least 1,000 days of touring with no injuries or SAR calls. Anyway, this topic has been beaten to death in another thread. But the line in sand for risk does not end at skiing. I read some dude tripped on his kid's toy at home and had to go the ER with a broken toe. So should we ban kids toys? Or kids?

But yeah, posting up stoke really triggers a few who have decided to not leave the house or don't have local access to skiing. I'll keep it on the DL going forward but it's a shame we have to cater to this outrage culture.

It's not catering to outrage culture, it's being cognizant that everyone is doing their best to deal with this situation and everyone's perception of what that means is different. In time, perhaps it will be revealed that some were right and others wrong but for now no one really does. I may have been out skiing too and if I did then it definitely did me zero harm to keep it more or less to myself.

I'm personally OK with ski touring and biking as its still legal, its local to me it's very easy to distance at trailheads etc. And I've probably had at least 1,000 days of touring with no injuries or SAR calls. Anyway, this topic has been beaten to death in another thread. But the line in sand for risk does not end at skiing. I read some dude tripped on his kid's toy at home and had to go the ER with a broken toe. So should we ban kids toys? Or kids?

But yeah, posting up stoke really triggers a few who have decided to not leave the house or don't have local access to skiing. I'll keep it on the DL going forward but it's a shame we have to cater to this outrage culture.
    I agree. We created a little group chat and basically formed our own mini SAR team to help out with a rescue if needed. at least 50% off us have WFA training. I don't think one of us have posted a single image since we got laid off. Its just nice to be skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    It's not catering to outrage culture, it's being cognizant that everyone is doing their best to deal with this situation and everyone's perception of what that means is different. In time, perhaps it will be revealed that some were right and others wrong but for now no one really does. I may have been out skiing too and if I did then it definitely did me zero harm to keep it more or less to myself.
    This is exactly it.

I have no issues with people being active if they think they are being reasonable. I mean I've probably pushed the boundaries skiing a little more than I should have in the last few weeks... but yeah, kept that shit to myself.

I'm with nickel and kalisto, a lot of people are making a lot of sacrifices to protect vulnerable people in their lives, so yeah, some might get a bit 'triggered' about some stuff. The times I have gone out I don't feel the need to spray about it on social media, just shut the fuck up and quietly get on with it. Is your ego so fragile that you can't handle not bragging online about getting after it?

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I'm with nickel and kalisto, a lot of people are making a lot of sacrifices to protect vulnerable people in their lives, so yeah, some might get a bit 'triggered' about some stuff. The times I have gone out I don't feel the need to spray about it on social media, just shut the fuck up and quietly get on with it. Is your ego so fragile that you can't handle not bragging online about getting after it?
    I totally get it and agree. My point is only that I should be able to do and post any legal activity I want without getting persecuted online.

I totally get it and agree. My point is only that I should be able to do and post any legal activity I want without getting persecuted online.
    But why post it at all? If you want to share with buddies, text them. By posting it online you're trying to get validation/admiration for what you've done. Do we really need validation that badly? Just enjoy the experience for what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I drove to Squamish, bought up all their toilet paper then shuttled HALF NELSON!!!! #followme #influencer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200407_092836.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	697.0 KB 
ID:	324485

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Post Deleted. I’m over it.
    Last edited by xyz; 04-07-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    yeah i had my biggest and simultaneously mellowest day of touring ever this past weekend, which may have included a 900m hike to a certain local resort to lap deserted blue runs with a few cm of hot pow. we saw absolutely no one the entire day

closing prov park access while keeping open recreational spaces in the city that have 100x the number of people per unit area pissed me off at first, but now i sort of wish they closed the road this early every year

but how will we know how cool you are ?

Normaly I would want to drink yer bathwater

but maybe not with the covid thing eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It’s ironic how widely both sides avoid understanding the point the other is making.

People aren’t worried about transmission while you’re in the backcountry - they’re worried about the resources required to support someone should something go wrong doing an activity that could have easily been avoided. Case in point - a friend of mine went for a ‘mellow’ (his words) mtb, went over the handlebars at a ‘moderate’ speed and wound up in the hospital. No one plans to get hurt/have things go wrong.

On the other hand, as you said, it’s not illegal to be out doing activities. Proximity to the backcountry plays no role in this legality/ability. It’s your decision as to whether you go out. Have fun, play safe.

The comment regarding banning children’s toys is asinine.

Please don’t rely on the 50% WFA trained SAR team to extricate someone from the backcountry.

Those of you butthurt about not being able to post to social media about your life need to find more meaning in your life.

LL better watch out for the mafioso coming for his TP stash.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

It's probably ok to engage in any activity as long as we follow a few rules/guidelines:
    • Drive separately if you don't cohabit. The risk of community transmission among asymptomatic people is real and it's common. Riding in the same car is not social distancing.
    • Avoid huts and toilets/outhouses. They are breeding grounds for the virus.
    • Don't stop in communities you don't live in (i.e Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton etc).

We're close to getting this pandemic done--at least a bit. Let's not blow it now.

As a lurker from NYC who used to live in Vancouver, I’m jealous as hell of what you guys have access to right now.

Mostly, that your government is going about this in a scientific manner and testing like crazy, but also that there are all these beautiful places so close at hand.

Responsible enjoyment of the outdoors is key to keeping sane in these kinds of circumstances. Parks are difficult to social distance in (especially for children) Hiking, biking, skiing is naturally solitary.

Anyway, can we keep this thread a safe space for pictures so those of us who are far away can daydream a bit?

Just post the pics but say they were from 2019 and we'll know what you mean but nobody will be upset.