Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    The slowmo “wooooo!” while skiing over rocks and bushes is epic. Shocked he didn’t blow up his knees skiing that stuff for weeks on end.

Will be interesting to see how those weak basal layers deal with this loading. Did a few laps around Oboe yesterday, decent skiing and didn’t notice any settlements which another group was talking about in the area. Heavily tracked out there of course. The groomers back to Creekside were as busy as I’ve ever seen them, felt bad for the little kids in lessons in that melee. And of course wannabe Candide’s still boosting side hits.

onecutmedia. He's got the riding dialed it seems.
    Find some of those ski missions quite entertaining.
    Pitty the soul that buys his used skis after this year. LOL.

He's got better POV footage than a lot and he gets all over both hills.
    He had an injury a while back - came back rocking.
    He's def living the life.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Any rumors about whether these next storms might be enough to open the alpine in a real way?

Re: OneCut Media - tough to criticize a dude just getting out there like that and really enjoying it. I've seen a few of his videos and if I'm getting at it the way he is when I get to his age, I'll have been doing something right.

Depends on whether it bonds to anything, or just rips to the ground again. After yesterday there is going to be another freeze layer in the snowpack from the rain. Although it seems to have stopped just below roundhouse level so alpine itself may have escaped.

skiing yesterday was terrible, waited at harmony for an hour or so, then we heard someone got taken for a ride during avy control (hoping it wasn't too serious if so) and they pulled the plug. Hopefully this system does come in wet but cools off quick and keeps snowing. the crust didn't seem too bad as far as crusts typically go, and seemed to be fading out fast just above 1800m.

Extreme avalanche danger! Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    skiing yesterday was terrible, waited at harmony for an hour or so, then we heard someone got taken for a ride during avy control (hoping it wasn't too serious if so) and they pulled the plug. Hopefully this system does come in wet but cools off quick and keeps snowing. the crust didn't seem too bad as far as crusts typically go, and seemed to be fading out fast just above 1800m.
    Apparently 7th wasn’t bad, on Whistler best run I did was partway down lower Franzs where the snow was just mashed potatoes but mostly untracked. Which isn’t saying much.

Yikes!
    Name:  Annotation 2020-01-03 085744.png
Views: 1707
Size:  399.5 KB

9am after a snowy night on the last friday of holidays? that line should not surprise anyone...have they posted over the bridge photos to Whistler Winter yet?

Looks like Whistler upload started at 9:10am, not uncommon or bad at all for high/extreme risk days with mid-mountain AC work. Some quality whining on Whistler Winter Facebook and WB's twitter about lines, the alpine not being open etc. Painful day for customer service workers, lifties and anyone else who has to interact with people that (stupidly) paid $190+tax for that. I did see a few Twitter replies saying they will never come back again. Fingers crossed.

I did see a few Twitter replies saying they will never come back again. Fingers crossed.
    2 hrs 15 from the village to the top of Jersey. Crowds on par with MLK/Family day

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Re: OneCut Media - tough to criticize a dude just getting out there like that and really enjoying it. I've seen a few of his videos and if I'm getting at it the way he is when I get to his age, I'll have been doing something right.
    Melhoff get slammed because he spams his mtb stuff to EVERY facebook group he can. He'll post some basic Squamish ride to the N.Van groups, Pemberton group, and the Bike Squamish group...and he does it over and over and over again with each of his rides.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Melhoff get slammed because he spams his mtb stuff to EVERY facebook group he can. He'll post some basic Squamish ride to the N.Van groups, Pemberton group, and the Bike Squamish group...and he does it over and over and over again with each of his rides.
    This. Does the same with winter stuff. Overdocumenting your daily activities is one thing, then spamming everyone with them is another. Though, ignoring him and letting him continue to waste spare time in such ways is really the only productive option.

Hope the season gets on track for you guys...crowds and simultaneously low tide/extremely dangerous snowpack aside, I still miss the place every day. It'll get good and you'll know what to do when it gets good, so cheers to that.

#WBOps Due to high winds, Upper Blackcomb Gondola will remain closed for the day.
    remember when Solar used to close because of wind? yeah, I don't either. You'd think they would've learned from the Crystal debacle...

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    remember when Solar used to close because of wind? yeah, I don't either. You'd think they would've learned from the Crystal debacle...
    And they built the new gondola with uber tall towers to make sure that touristas get the best views ... while the car is stopped for high winds.
    Which is also a shame for tourist wanting to see the summer bears ...
    now like being in the nosebleeds at a hockey game and all the action is better on the big screen.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Is the tower height thing legit? Or is it just that gondola cabins have a lot more surface area to catch wind. Never paid attention to cabin height the few times I've ridden the new gondola. Dumb if they built it higher than needed and lost tree shielding, although it does have to clear Excal at one point.

Just speculating based on perceived
    tower height.

https://liftblog.com/blackcomb-gondo...-blackcomb-bc/

Not just me, liftblog also "Both sections have some very tall towers."
    Liftblog also notes "Close cabin spacing"

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wbop...dola%22&f=live

That search will just show Blackcomb Gondola issues, sorted by latest.
    Last edited by puregravity; 01-04-2020 at 03:35 AM. Reason: tl;dr

Another gongshow day by the looks of things? Crystal and VD must have been skiing pretty damn well at least.

Another gongshow day by the looks of things? Crystal and VD must have been skiing pretty damn well at least.
    Not as bad as yesterday, think having Blackcomb gondy (lower) and Crystal opened definitely decompressed things. Still on the busier side of things. Actively bombing as of 1230 has me optimistic for a peak chair opening tomorrow after the storm blows over.

nice to ski pow on whistler this morning, definitely still scratchy mid mountain and holes and logs to look out for in the woods, but had a few decent laps. Looked like the wind was howling in the alpine, but bombing was happening, a friend had a story/vid on instagram and looked like most of don't miss/bomb tram went in one go, he called it one of the larger results he's seen

Snow is falling and the crowds will be thinning big time. Seems like things are looking a whole lot better than just a week or two ago. I'm hoping to get up for a one day junket sometime in the next couple weeks. I'm certainly not going to waste an Edge Card day till Peak and Glacier are running, though.

I wouldn’t be to optimistic about peak opening, looks like a one day window where the winds calm down, then they kick back in. Maybe they’ll get Harmony open again Monday.

Fingers crossed for next week.
    Tuesday? Wednesday?
    Crowds should have dispersed and maybe upper mountain gets opened.

Just discovered the Thug Life version of Whistler weather.
    https://twitter.com/djones_weather

Decent day out, 7th opened but no alpine. Border's fucked though: 3.5 hrs at the Peace arch. And if you were of Iranian descent, well, good luck...

Got accom, edge cards, and flights all lined up for March. Only thing left is to figure out how to get 4 adults and their gear from:
    YVR to Whistler on a Monday mid day
    Whistler to North Van on a Friday afternoon
    North Van to YVR on a Saturday morning

Does anyone know what rental car companies offer ski racks and winter tires? Or, any transportation options that offer some flexibility and can get us from Whistler to North Van on a Friday afternoon when the lifts close? I figure we could just take a couple cabs to the airport from North Van if needed.

We're crashing at a friend's place so parking is all good.

My recommendation is to rent a minivan. Should be plenty of space for a group of four.