Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    The thought of some dumb Aussie seasonaire getting banned mid January is kind of amusing to think about.
    Plus his girlfriend would surely be right with him. Relationship-ender.

Peak and Symphony open.

It's basically -20 C without the windchill factor anywhere on the mountain.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Someone wanna give me a good reason why we can’t glade the fuck out of both (mid) mountains? Like where’s joe etc style. Massive skiable terrain expansion without a new lift. Prolly some animal habitat reasons but man that seems like better money spent vs the rendezvous expansion, for the actual skiers at least.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Someone wanna give me a good reason why we can’t glade the fuck out of both (mid) mountains? Like where’s joe etc style. Massive skiable terrain expansion without a new lift. Prolly some animal habitat reasons but man that seems like better money spent vs the rendezvous expansion, for the actual skiers at least.
    I've been preaching this for the past few years! I don't think any of the official glades have been touched with a saw since I move here in 2002. Big Timber/Dusty's/Home Run are well on their way to being reforested and need in excess of 200cm base to be safely skiable and even then.... WB whines that the muni should be doing fire thinning on the CRA, hey, why not put some effort with your own crews into improving the ski product! With slower starts to the seasons the lack of summer grooming is definitely showing it's teeth....but yeah, new lifts and lodges = sexy marketing campaigns! Why would you want to actually improve the thing people are paying top dollar to do? idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    That whole giant triangle strip over to 7th should be gladed - that'd be awesome.

Forty years ago there were pretty big clearcut areas on both Blackcomb and Whistler, Check out this trail map from 1980:
    https://skimap.org/data/28/7/1210718047.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Forty years ago there were pretty big clearcut areas on both Blackcomb and Whistler, Check out this trail map from 1980:
    You just made me spend 30 minutes looking at old maps - the glory days of 1993 when there was no Harmony express, the Blue Chair was awesome, and I fucking KNEW Seppo's was such a shit run that it had to be an old lift line!

Then going back to 1988 when I first skied there and the 7th express was brand new and all fucked up - scariest chairlift ride of my life I remember that thing stopping and starting several times and chairs bouncing like crazy - people were screaming. I also remember a place called Nasty Jacks at the base (old longhorn, maybe?) - they had the best burgers, but I was just a kid back then so maybe I was just hopped up on coke (the cola, not the stuff you find in the alley near buffalo bills) and stoke from skiing cement pow with my skinny skis.

Ahh, memories. Time for a visit to the Whistler Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

Ahh, memories. Time for a visit to the Whistler Museum.
    If you're on Instagram be sure to follow Whistler Museum's feed. They post some great old photos.

But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

If you're on Instagram be sure to follow Whistler Museum's feed. They post some great old photos.
    You’re not kidding!

Here’s an awesome shot of that clear cut section on blackcomb. Pretty neat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3fQvi-h...d=culmsfiuwh01

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Extreme winds tonight. Chance of alpine opening Thursday?

I look at that map, and think of all the people recently complaining about the alpine not being open Never rode it then, but it must have taken half the day to get to the top, and the top was only what we now call mid

Quote Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
    I look at that map, and think of all the people recently complaining about the alpine not being open Never rode it then, but it must have taken half the day to get to the top, and the top was only what we now call mid
    When they put the peak chair in, it was a game-changer. Just insane terrain, especially for the equipment at the time. I think it even had a mid-station unload too, because that last haul over the liftys leap cliffs was nuts. I want to say it didn't have a bar, but I'm not sure of that I was less than 10 years old at the time. I remember seeing tracks down these crazy lines like cirque and mondays, and thinking whoever put those there must be the coolest guys on the planet - did they wear tight stretchy ski pants like the rest of us?

Just found this neat resource for whistler lift history here: https://blog.whistlermuseum.org/2015...istlers-lifts/

Looks like the whole hill went green today - enjoy this storm cycle yo, but I need some pics for stoke - Inbound in 10 days.

Don’t know what you are looking at, but as of now, no alpine is open. And the lift shit show continues. Creekside Gondola was down this morning, they were busing people to Blackcomb, Excelerator was delayed so if you were coming up from Whistler Village you would have had to try to get on mid on the Blackcomb Gondi, which was hugely lined up. Creekside now open and empty.

On my way Garbo Laps where epic!!

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Loving the history posts. I think the first time I skied WB was 97-98ish and I think I remember Orange or maybe Black chair still being there at the time around Garbo/Creekside. And yeah they really should open up some more tree skiing terrain and low and mid elevations. Last time I did Million Dollar early season last winter the ski out was horrible because of regrowth.

Snow quality must be awesome today, but guessing AC is challenging with wind slab/crust everywhere from reverse arctic winds and back to prevailing south.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Don’t know what you are looking at, but as of now, no alpine is open. And the lift shit show continues. Creekside Gondola was down this morning, they were busing people to Blackcomb, Excelerator was delayed so if you were coming up from Whistler Village you would have had to try to get on mid on the Blackcomb Gondi, which was hugely lined up. Creekside now open and empty.
    Balls to that. I was looking at the site before work and before lifts were spinning and they tabbed 238 of 240 as open. Do you guys have a temp inversion going on or are those numbers off also?

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Disgusting.

There's got to be a reason for this. Maybe the W/B fuse panel only has enough juice for n-1 lifts?

Like even the Magic chair is on standby right now.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    When they put the peak chair in, it was a game-changer. Just insane terrain, especially for the equipment at the time. I think it even had a mid-station unload too, because that last haul over the liftys leap cliffs was nuts. I want to say it didn't have a bar, but I'm not sure of that I was less than 10 years old at the time. I remember seeing tracks down these crazy lines like cirque and mondays, and thinking whoever put those there must be the coolest guys on the planet - did they wear tight stretchy ski pants like the rest of us?

Just found this neat resource for whistler lift history here: https://blog.whistlermuseum.org/2015...istlers-lifts/
    Do you know the story of Blackcomb STEALING a lift to expand their terrain to 7th Heaven? I've heard this story many times, please excuse me if some of the details are not exact, but the story is very true.
    With Blackcomb opening in 1980 it stared a "Lift War" with Whistler. Both Mountains were quickly building new lifts to outdo the other resort. They were fighting for uphill capacity numbers and total vertical. In the spring of 1985 Hugh Smyth, the president of Blackcomb, heard that Whistler was surveying the possibility of building a new lift to access the high alpine. He wanted Blackcomb to be first with a high alpine lift, and to have a higher vertical that Whistler by running a lift up to Blackcomb Peak/7th Heaven. He called his contacts at the lift companies to inquire about buying a tee-bar to install on 7th. He was informed that he was too late in the season to get a lift built and shipped to North America before the fall. And was told that the only lift being build and shipped to North America that year was a Poma Tee Bar destine for Sunshine Village in Alberta.
    The story goes that Hugh called Poma a week later, impersonating a representative of Sunshine Village to cancel the lift order. He told Poma he might have a different buyer for the lift and would get back to them. He later let Poma know Blackcomb would take delivery of "un wanted" lift and would arrange all the details with Sunshine.
    Blackcomb expedited the delivery time of the lift with Poma, and by the time the lift did not show up in Sunshine, it was already delivered and installed on Blackcomb. This is the sorry of how Blackcomb stole a lift from Sunshine Village.

It must have really sucked when you needed to take three chair rides just to get to Roundhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Balls to that. I was looking at the site before work and before lifts were spinning and they tabbed 238 of 240 as open. Do you guys have a temp inversion going on or are those numbers off also?

Was an inversion, which explains the unexpected snowfall totals as the warmer air moved over the cold.

massive lift shit show this morning, was in creekside line towards the front when buddy who was a few ahead of me walked back with his board and asked if my truck was in the parking garage...said buses were on route so we jetted to village. They were calling 1hr+ for excellerator so we went to fitz, after 30 minutes they come out and say they have an electrical problem and are delayed, 15 minutes later they say they need to switch a part, so we bail for village gondy line, wait 15 minutes and fitz fires up and starts loading. Just, unreal. Heard that apparently they lost a bunch of long time maintenance ops guys to retirement this year, that would definitely contribute to the regular lift gong show.

That being said, once up, snow quality was really really good, blower, very deep, and snowed pretty hard through lunch. Mid mountain tree coverage is pretty much there. Looked like t-bars on whistler got going, but it was stopped and people were bailing the liftline when I was coming up red for my last lap around noon.

Aaaaaaand who’s ready for this weekend? MLK weekend, almost 100 cm reported this week, alpine lifts were actually open and weather looks decent with big snow predicted Saturday night along with daily lift issues. Roads are snow and ice covered, but highway will be clear down low because of warmup. What are the chances the RCMP are doing tire checks leaving Vancouver ? Going to make the complaints about Crystal Mountains parking and access issue look like a walk in a park. I am predicting hour long lines, more severely pissed of tourons (and locals). I’ll be spending the weekend somewhere no where near the slopes. And if Vail doesn’t think this is affecting future visits, just try looking at most of the recent reviews on any travel site.