Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Any mirrors? Says story unavailable. Also saw someone mention part of Corona sympathetic too? Crazy shit, hope there were not any accidents out there today.

The bombing must have created sympathetic lift outofservice issues all day.
    First Blackcomb gondy down for an hour.
    Then Whistler. Then some lifts in and out.
    Download took a looong time too with all the stoppages.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Last edited by pembyguy; 12-25-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post
    Do not go touring!!!!! All of cowboy ripped skier remote!! All flute ripped out etc. People are going to die.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    We were approaching the hut when Cowboy ripped. I am not convinced it was a remote (we were probably 500 m away and I did not feel threatened) but it is food for thought.

We did about 3000 vf of touring near Russet Lake yesterday and saw a big avalanche low on Fissile and to the south of the lake. These also could be argued to be remote but I am not convinced. Heading home now to NM where the snow makes more sense, chuckle.

Singing Pass trail is in surprisingly good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Shoe View Post
    Heading home now to NM where the snow makes more sense, chuckle.

Aye that's the rub. Colorado skiers would presumably be more trained to deal with PWLs. Coast skiers aren't. Which is why people like the puregravity imbecile exist

Whistler 2019 - 2020

We were approaching the hut when Cowboy ripped. I am not convinced it was a remote (we were probably 500 m away and I did not feel threatened) but it is food for thought.

We did about 3000 vf of touring near Russet Lake yesterday and saw a big avalanche low on Fissile and to the south of the lake. These also could be argued to be remote but I am not convinced. Heading home now to NM where the snow makes more sense, chuckle.

By the looks of it from an air recce there is a set of tracks approaching, then backtracking once it slid. I hope you get better luck back in NM. Merry Christmas

The custodians from the hut were going to check at Cowboy Ridge to see whether there had been any skiers. Could those have been the tracks? It seemed like the chopper came significantly later on Sunday.

These slides seem like they could have been remote triggered by us. We skied this small feature above Russet Lake to the south.

Heading toward that bump on the ridge there was a colossal whoompf. We saw this avalanche on Fissile.

Upon doing another lap, we saw this avalanche that we can speculate could have happened with the whoompf and triggered the Fissile slide. Also note the crack in the snow that has propagated all along the ridge!

Hopefully nobody tries anything too ill advised. Good luck with your snowpack up there.

Edit to add a shot of Cowboy Ridge from yesterday morning:
    Last edited by Sky_Shoe; 12-24-2019 at 06:08 PM.

The custodians from the hut were going to check at Cowboy Ridge to see whether there had been any skiers. Could those have been the tracks? It seemed like the chopper came significantly later on Sunday.

These slides seem like they could have been remote triggered by us. We skied this small feature above Russet Lake to the south.

Heading toward that bump on the ridge there was a colossal whoompf. We saw this avalanche on Fissile.

Upon doing another lap, we saw this avalanche that we can speculate could have happened with the whoompf and triggered the Fissile slide. Also note the crack in the snow that has propagated all along the ridge!

Hopefully nobody tries anything too ill advised. Good luck with your snowpack up there.
    Great intel. Thank you

Sky may I use these pictures for an article to warn about PWL latencies and headsup?

Sky may I use these pictures for an article to warn about PWL latencies and headsup?
    Go for it. I can add a shot of Cowboy Ridge as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7318.JPG 
Views:	468 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	307575
    I can get some more.

Aye that's the rub. Colorado skiers would presumably be more trained to deal with PWLs. Coast skiers aren't. Which is why people like the puregravity imbecile exist
    When Lee mentions you,
    you know you're hitting big time
    or about to jump the shark.

As for Persistent Weak Layers,
    the QOS for lift served skiing has continued to be sub-optimal.
    Whatever Vail is spending money on,
    it sure ain't the reliability of the resort lift system.
    Unless ... the stoppages are forced rest breaks for out of shape touristas.
    Come to think, they may have done my legs a favour!

PS - Here's a link to the Ministry of Avalanches report re Cowboy Ridge slide.
    Not much info except the photos zoom and it clearly went down to rock.
    Perhaps someone can explain the difference between a PWL and a plain old shallow snowpack avy.
    https://www.avalanche.ca/mountain-in...1-38c7369bbe10
    Last edited by puregravity; 12-25-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Harmony cracked today, was just skiing towards the bottom to check it out when it started loading so arrived just as whatever line there was, had dissipated. 3 quick laps down our favorite runs and then the line was to the end of the corrals. Snow was excellent where there was snow, but pretty bony if you weren’t in a gully or drifted in area.

Eldereldo

Were they letting you skiing anywhere normally accessible from the alpine chairs, at your own risk and at the risk of your basis, or are they keeping the alpine roped up and limiting you to groomers.

Anyone know - if you're on 7th, are they letting you come over to either the glacier side or down to terminator ridge?

Kindest

Looked like pretty much go where you wanted. Saw tracks on all the usual spots, Richardson, Harvey’s, all of the Horseshoes.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Eldereldo

Were they letting you skiing anywhere normally accessible from the alpine chairs, at your own risk and at the risk of your basis, or are they keeping the alpine roped up and limiting you to groomers.

Anyone know - if you're on 7th, are they letting you come over to either the glacier side or down to terminator ridge?

Kindest
    As of Xmas day they weren't. Southside 7th only. That might have changed today or yesterday.
    Its crazy how expectations change. we did a 5 minutes bootpack for 5 turns near the DOA apron and it was so fun and so good. Normally wouldn't even consider that enjoyable, but still good times in the sun...

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Did they get lower Blackcomb gondola working? Or are they making people take Magic to Excalibur?

Any inside info on wtf is going on with that lift?

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Wizard's curse
    Name:  255626a95db22cb17679ddc2ac94bb96.jpg
Views: 4606
Size:  76.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Did they get lower Blackcomb gondola working? Or are they making people take Magic to Excalibur?

It has met all the appropriate certification requirements.
    They are tweaking the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System
    within the design and maintenance guidelines.

Everything will be back to normal soon.

Just keep that freezing level down...

[total precip prediction for the next week]

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whistler/co...know_where_to/

All those little bumps you see are rocks.

Just don't look at your bases till June.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whistler/co...still/fcanzsu/

The pilings causing gondola alignment problems?!?!?!?
    I better start checking weather stations again.

Some funny shit...
    https://www.instagram.com/whistler_memes/?hl=en

Yes, you too can watch drunk people trying to walk at night from any hotel room.
    Always live. Sometimes funny.

Well, Happy New Year everyone.
    May 2020 bring many more embellished insta selfies
    and real dumps.

oh god, PG is posting Meloff content on here

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    oh god, PG is posting Meloff content on here
    Who's that?

In other news.
    https://twitter.com/djones_weather/s...71316565590016

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    onecutmedia kook

The slowmo “wooooo!” while skiing over rocks and bushes is epic. Shocked he didn’t blow up his knees skiing that stuff for weeks on end.

Will be interesting to see how those weak basal layers deal with this loading. Did a few laps around Oboe yesterday, decent skiing and didn’t notice any settlements which another group was talking about in the area. Heavily tracked out there of course. The groomers back to Creekside were as busy as I’ve ever seen them, felt bad for the little kids in lessons in that melee. And of course wannabe Candide’s still boosting side hits.