Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Very true. Iím not saying there arenít other risks out there - thereís risk just going to buy groceries. Itís the individualís decision as to whether to go out or not. I think itís disingenuous to say that going backcountry skiing/whatever activity is the safest option out there. I donít know raypruit and he may be the safest, baddest, raddest dude walking - no clue. But, as always, it isnít typically the person who knows what theyíre doing that is a concern - itís the masses thinking they know what theyíre doing and if so-and-so can do whatever it is they want to do, so can I. As Iíve said before, people will do as they please - thereís no law against it. Weíre all outdoor enthusiasts here - hopefully we can beat this thing before we tear down the walls.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

actually, there is a law against it now. http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/: Park closures will be enforced through regular monitoring and patrols and anyone found in a closed park will be evicted and could face a $115 fine.

i get closing easy access points like roads to prevent the general public from congregating and getting into trouble in the backcountry, but leave the parks open. just make it hard to get to so noobs won't bother.

... since everyone here only skis in provincial parks? da fuq?

For those of you who are butt-hurt about the conversation. Get off TGR, go skiing, and keep it to yourself? Sure there's the conversation of the ethics of it... but there's also the conversation of the visibility of it.

Sure it might be ethical, but it still be portrayed as seriously disrespectful.

How about these temps though? No end in sight either.

What an odd winter. No snow, then a sketchy af snowpack til well after Xmas, then some amazing times, then this.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    actually, there is a law against it now. http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/: Park closures will be enforced through regular monitoring and patrols and anyone found in a closed park will be evicted and could face a $115 fine.

i get closing easy access points like roads to prevent the general public from congregating and getting into trouble in the backcountry, but leave the parks open. just make it hard to get to so noobs won't bother.
    Not just BC parks -- all forest rec sites and trails too. You're supposed to stay away from your own vacation property too. It is house arrest.

Young Trudeau is now saying "a year before some form of normality returns".

On good news, alcohol sales are up 40% in BC.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    How about these temps though? No end in sight either.

What an odd winter. No snow, then a sketchy af snowpack til well after Xmas, then some amazing times, then this.
    One last shot of decent snow would be sweet. Not looking likely.

On the bright side, hopefully WB will finally have the time to get the Blackcomb gondi running reliably.

3rd dry spring in a row. March madness isnít a thing these days it seems, couple good storms though. What was the total snowfall for the season ?

funny how disconnected i am with the snowpack now. this time of year i'm normally pouring over weather station data and avy forecasts - i have no idea what's going on in the alpine now. i thought it's been staying relatively cold on the duffey since the last dump though, no? figured now would have been a good time for my annual slalok run

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    3rd dry spring in a row. March madness isn’t a thing these days it seems, couple good storms though. What was the total snowfall for the season ?
    Hmm it wasnt that dry of a March was it? Or was all that snow in April? I mean it wasn't pure chaos but was still decent.
    I think alot of really big lines would have got skied this past week if not for lockdown. Great stability and cold temps.

Ray.
    it was until Wednesday.

Hmm it wasnt that dry of a March was it? Or was all that snow in April? I mean it wasn't pure chaos but was still decent.
    I think alot of really big lines would have got skied this past week if not for lockdown. Great stability and cold temps.

Ray.
    it was until Wednesday.
    I'm not comfortable calling it great stability. Last week I cut a cornice chunk around 1900m on a northwest aspect and got a big result. Solid size 2/2.5
    This put a damper on my plans for the week and emphasized that without all the normal data sources we operate with and reliant solely on data collected personally, a lot of what we call experience needs to be looked at through a different lens. It's a very different feeling to go out when you haven't had access to a relevant bulletin/report in weeks.

Interesting discussion here on conditions. Being relatively new to touring it begs the question of what everyone did before the constant updates and easily accessible MIN reports and weather stations. I assume as above it was more local and personal knowledge but would be interested to lean more

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I'm not comfortable calling it great stability. Last week I cut a cornice chunk around 1900m on a northwest aspect and got a big result. Solid size 2/2.5
    This put a damper on my plans for the week and emphasized that without all the normal data sources we operate with and reliant solely on data collected personally, a lot of what we call experience needs to be looked at through a different lens. It's a very different feeling to go out when you haven't had access to a relevant bulletin/report in weeks.
    Was this right after the storm snow or later in the week.
    We cut a couple of cornices, aggressive ski cuts right above convexities, dug pits etc. We saw a little bit of a slab on April 2nd but couldn't get it to propogate in a pit. Worked a sparsely treed bench, then moved into more of an alpine setting once the test run felt good. Other than that we didn't see anything of concern. This was all in the Whistler area too, i didn't head up into the Duffey area.

Edit: Another thing i did was tried to ski more with friends who make more conservative decisions than me and not ramrod them into skiing what i wanted to ski, but let them pick lines.

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    Interesting discussion here on conditions. Being relatively new to touring it begs the question of what everyone did before the constant updates and easily accessible MIN reports and weather stations. I assume as above it was more local and personal knowledge but would be interested to lean more
    It was more local and personal knowledge

Was this right after the storm snow or later in the week.
    We cut a couple of cornices, aggressive ski cuts right above convexities, dug pits etc. We saw a little bit of a slab on April 2nd but couldn't get it to propogate in a pit. Worked a sparsely treed bench, then moved into more of an alpine setting once the test run felt good. Other than that we didn't see anything of concern. This was all in the Whistler area too, i didn't head up into the Duffey area.

Edit: Another thing i did was tried to ski more with friends who make more conservative decisions than me and not ramrod them into skiing what i wanted to ski, but let them pick lines.
    Also April 2nd. We'd already done 3 laps that day and were feeling good about conditions. We chose to dig out a chunk of cornice as a test given we had good vis into the bowl. Wind loading over MF crust was deemed the culprit. Chunk was probably equivalent in weight to 2 of me.

Point being, spatial variability is a bitch and massively reduced data set requires a total recalibration of mindset. Good on you for taking steps to mitigate known heuristic traps!

For clarity, not 3 laps in the bowl in question. Test was to gather data re: stepping out.

Does Whistler really have 10,000 permanent residents?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Not just BC parks -- all forest rec sites and trails too. You're supposed to stay away from your own vacation property too. It is house arrest.

Young Trudeau is now saying "a year before some form of normality returns".

On good news, alcohol sales are up 40% in BC.
    This is incorrect, the Gov page that you linked to states only that those Recreation Sites with camping facilities (or those with a risk of increased social contact (e.g. kiosks, ticket booths, overnight shelters, day use shelters, etc.)), are closed.

Trails are open and you should maintain appropriate social distancing, choose low risk activities and use local trails.

I'm not weighing in on what people should be doing, I'm not qualified to do so (and suspect neither are you), just pointing out that: (i) the statement is wrong; (ii) government seems to agree that some level of trail use is permissible; and (iii) during the greatest pandemic of most of our lives to date, maybe TGR isn't the best place to get/give advice about how to respond.

Stay safe and healthy out there.

There's a full list of closures here: http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/closures.aspx
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Forecast looking warm this week. Is it time to start taking bets on which mountain will collapse first?

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Forecast looking warm this week. Is it time to start taking bets on which mountain will collapse first?
    I vote Meager. It would go well with the theme of 2020 (endless exponential fuckery). May 4th. What do I win if my town drowns in mud?

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I vote Meager. It would go well with the theme of 2020 (endless exponential fuckery). May 4th. What do I win if my town drowns in mud?
    Just popping in to annoy you.

What's the talk on the bike park at this point?

And I hope you don't buried by a mountain.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Sushi village

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Just popping in to annoy you.

What's the talk on the bike park at this point?

And I hope you don't buried by a mountain.
    Much like everything else these days. Definitely planning and making moves to open at some point but as far as when? 8 ball sez shake again.

Thanks!

Here in murka we range from "let's see what the right call is" to "fuck the gubbmimint, mah freedums!!"

Was just curious how a civilized first world country is handling this.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I worry for everyone south of the border. Things do not appear to be going well there from the looks of things.