Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Nice to see some new snow overnight. I was up yesterday and there were some very icy areas. I was riding Symphony and saw a girl fall near the top of Piccolo Face, lose one ski there and proceed to tumble down the rest of the face, losing the other ski toward the bottom. I saw her stand up at the bottom, so I think she's ok, but probably needed some Advil.

Quote Originally Posted by scblurlt View Post
    got an offer of a day out on the tantalus with heli drop off and pick up a week next Sunday , never skied there only ever admired it from the highway view point , now the snow pack settled down will this be good , looks like a little fresh this weekend then back to high pressure , looking for somewhere new to get away at a weekend , love the Duffy options but this does look spectacular , any thoughts appreciated
    Its big boy terrain. Plenty of lines to be skied. I think the only mellow one really would be the Serratus Glacier.
    I would recommend a guide if no-one in the group has been. Harberl hut opens March 1st so I expect it will be busy up there.

Ray Pruit (who has been awful quiet here this year) has a great TR from last spring here https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...talus-Mar-2019 where they hired a guide.

If you do end up going and there is space, I'd be very interested in joining.

got an offer of a day out on the tantalus with heli drop off and pick up a week next Sunday , never skied there only ever admired it from the highway view point , now the snow pack settled down will this be good , looks like a little fresh this weekend then back to high pressure , looking for somewhere new to get away at a weekend , love the Duffy options but this does look spectacular , any thoughts appreciated
    If conditions and crew are good, do it. You'll feel like you're in Alaska while being ridiculously close to home.
    It's a good excuse to dust off the crevasse/mountaineering gear and practice.
    Serratus North face and Alpha west couloirs are great lines.
    Just looking over the Serratus-Alpha col makes the trip worthwhile.
    Good overview in their photo here:
    https://altusmountainguides.com/feat...ineering-camp/

Bonus:
    Get the heli pilot to thread a few peaks on the way back.

I looked over at Blackcomb today and saw 7th wasn’t running. Was it down all day?? Did they blame the weather for the breakdown?

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Its big boy terrain. Plenty of lines to be skied. I think the only mellow one really would be the Serratus Glacier.
    I would recommend a guide if no-one in the group has been. Harberl hut opens March 1st so I expect it will be busy up there.

Ray Pruit (who has been awful quiet here this year) has a great TR from last spring here https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...talus-Mar-2019 where they hired a guide.

guide for sure , luckily he's in the family and has two free places on a lift and not working , so should be good if conditions align ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-R View Post
    If conditions and crew are good, do it. You'll feel like you're in Alaska while being ridiculously close to home.
    It's a good excuse to dust off the crevasse/mountaineering gear and practice.
    Serratus North face and Alpha west couloirs are great lines.
    Just looking over the Serratus-Alpha col makes the trip worthwhile.
    Good overview in their photo here:
    https://altusmountainguides.com/feat...ineering-camp/

Bonus:
    Get the heli pilot to thread a few peaks on the way back.
    dusting of the ropes and gear as we speak , got ten days before out , so nice to have something to work on whilst in the flatlands of a wet and miserable uk

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I looked over at Blackcomb today and saw 7th wasn’t running. Was it down all day?? Did they blame the weather for the breakdown?
    Yeah closed all day from what i heard due to maintenance issue. Rough go for ops again.
    The history section of this site has closed/open times for the week past if you haven't seen it.
    http://www.livepow.com/ (its by Jonathan Penfield who won the KH FWT who happens to be a huge data nerd as well as a shredder)

Yeah closed all day from what i heard due to maintenance issue. Rough go for ops again.
    The history section of this site has closed/open times for the week past if you haven't seen it.
    http://www.livepow.com/ (its by Jonathan Penfield who won the KH FWT who happens to be a huge data nerd as well as a shredder)
    That’s a great resource. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Yup. It was closed all day Saturday. But I was able to personally answer my own question from a few weeks ago:

Question: Can you make it to Secret Basin without taking Horstman T-Bar or 7th Heaven? Like from Glacier or top of Showcase?

Answer: Yes to both.

From Top of Glacier: You can boot pack up Crystal traverse from the bottom of the Showcase T Bar for about 5 mins, then ski into Secret Basin. Dunno if uphill travel is allowed normally, but there were signs okaying it because 7th Heaven was down. Ullr maps claims you can traverse from the top of Glacier into Secret Basin, but I found that wasn't possible, ymmv.

From Top of Showcase T-Bar: You can traverse right in.

Side note: The Grey Zone is now my new favorite place to relax and take a lunch break. Pretty good trip this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    . Ullr maps claims you can traverse from the top of Glacier into Secret Basin, but I found that wasn't possible, ymmv.
    I've done it before with a little side stepping previous years, this year quick boot pack, I guess the shifting horstman glacier or different snowpack changes things

having a 2 year old has limited my online time this season but i still lurk every now and then. who knew these little parasites would take so much time? i'm all about the 'gram now

i'm actually scheduled to head back to the haberl hut mar. 1-3 for season opening. norton, i was actually looking for a 4th this year - should have asked you. i'm planning on trying to head up next year too (and every year that i'm physically able) so let's keep in touch.

scblurit, you're heading up on mar 1 too? i'll see you up there! although the long range forecast isn't looking too promising right now. the shitty thing about the tantalus is that there are zero options if the vis is bad. i've heard nightmare stories of people being stuck in that hut for days on end with helis unable to fly in. it's always around march that i start hoping for the snow to stop...

terrain-wise, i said it all in the TR - except for the serratus glacier, it's all gnarly. if you've ever seen photos of the terrain right around the hut in the summer, you will shit yourself - crevasses everywhere. i think maybe after another couple trips there i might be ready to go unguided, but my wife would never let me, and now that i have spawn, i agree with her. it's sick up there though... and so close!

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    having a 2 year old has limited my online time this season but i still lurk every now and then. who knew these little parasites would take so much time? i'm all about the 'gram now

i'm actually scheduled to head back to the haberl hut mar. 1-3 for season opening. norton, i was actually looking for a 4th this year - should have asked you. i'm planning on trying to head up next year too (and every year that i'm physically able) so let's keep in touch.

scblurit, you're heading up on mar 1 too? i'll see you up there! although the long range forecast isn't looking too promising right now. the shitty thing about the tantalus is that there are zero options if the vis is bad. i've heard nightmare stories of people being stuck in that hut for days on end with helis unable to fly in. it's always around march that i start hoping for the snow to stop...

terrain-wise, i said it all in the TR - except for the serratus glacier, it's all gnarly. if you've ever seen photos of the terrain right around the hut in the summer, you will shit yourself - crevasses everywhere. i think maybe after another couple trips there i might be ready to go unguided, but my wife would never let me, and now that i have spawn, i agree with her. it's sick up there though... and so close!
    its the 7th if weathers good for me so won't meet up i'm afraid , have a great trip ,fingers crossed for the conditions , my sons the guide and his wife's coming too, so its a sort of all in trip the TR was great and shows the patience needed in this sort of terrain , spent a lot of time with my lad in Chamonix so very used to things changing day by day , so if doesn't happen this year it will still be there next year

1. Why is the town letting the longhorn douche the place up. Really , I don’t need to hear house music when I get to the base (or at all). I understand from talking with local servers at glc , etc that all the other vendors there aren’t happy with them and nor is the pan pacific ... make em move to village north for crying out loud .
    2. They have to find a solution for the horstman tbar. Having to rely on seventh heaven to ski the coulior or secret bowl sucks.
    3. Why the bad lines at jersey cream? It should only be used to get from a to b, not to ski those short runs!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    1. Why is the town letting the longhorn douche the place up. Really , I don’t need to hear house music when I get to the base (or at all). I understand from talking with local servers at glc , etc that all the other vendors there aren’t happy with them and nor is the pan pacific ... make em move to village north for crying out loud .
    OK, Boomer!

[seriously, Longhorn is my least favorite apres place, too, but obviously it has its appeal for some]

its the 7th if weathers good for me so won't meet up i'm afraid , have a great trip ,fingers crossed for the conditions , my sons the guide and his wife's coming too, so its a sort of all in trip the TR was great and shows the patience needed in this sort of terrain , spent a lot of time with my lad in Chamonix so very used to things changing day by day , so if doesn't happen this year it will still be there next year
    rad, must be cool to have a son as a guide. i'd be constantly reminding him of how many times i've wiped his ass in exchange for free guiding. hope you get up there!

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    rad, must be cool to have a son as a guide. i'd be constantly reminding him of how many times i've wiped his ass in exchange for free guiding. hope you get up there!
    if only !!!! short memories kids these days ,
    TBF its great now as before when he was just free riding I could never keep up with the little sod , but now he's a bit more patient with me :-)
    BTW he's a dedicated split board guide too so if Justin not free next year he could be a good stand in

The Gibbons family (owners of Longhorns), also own 9 other very popular bars/restaurants/clubs in the village and host multiple festivals/events throughout the year to bring in more tourists which equals more tax dollars for the town. Given that I don't see anything changing despite what other businesses in the area may think.

https://gibbonswhistler.com/

2. They have to find a solution for the horstman tbar. Having to rely on seventh heaven to ski the coulior or secret bowl sucks.
    See post 485

How crazy is the last weekend in March likely to be? Do crowds typically die down somewhat by then? I typically head up in early April, but thinking about the 3/28 weekend this year. Seems like this season has been pretty damn busy overall.

Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    See post 485
    Every year I learn one new thing about that place. So basically you can lap Spanky's, Glacier, and Secret Basin lines from Glacier, Crystal, and the t-bar. I don't know why I didn't put this together when I was there but good to know for next time. I'll take a boot pack or traverse over that 7th Heaven line any day. I actually enjoy poking around on my own and figuring things out though, you can usually ski a more obvious line and take your time and look around on the way down and figure out the more complex stuff around you with a good tree or rock for a marker for the next lap.. Ski under a line, look up and log it for next time, etc. Ullr maps takes away from that fun a bit but it did make me feel better about exploring Spanky's solo with no other beta other than what I could see from the Glacier.

Quote Originally Posted by ridge_skier View Post
    The Gibbons family (owners of Longhorns), also own 9 other very popular bars/restaurants/clubs in the village and host multiple festivals/events throughout the year to bring in more tourists which equals more tax dollars for the town. Given that I don't see anything changing despite what other businesses in the area may think.

https://gibbonswhistler.com/
    Wow, there ya go.. now that makes sense ...back in my younger days I used to apres there a lot before it became more of a club scene . Now I enjoy glc !

Wow, there ya go.. now that makes sense ...back in my younger days I used to apres there a lot before it became more of a club scene . Now I enjoy glc !
    Someone posted photos on the Whistler Facebook group last month of a substantial lineup to get into the Longhorn over MLK weekend. Yes, people standing in line at 9:00 am to get into Longhorn...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Someone posted photos on the Whistler Facebook group last month of a substantial lineup to get into the Longhorn over MLK weekend. Yes, people standing in line at 9:00 am to get into Longhorn...
    That's the under-21 kids up from the states who are here to drink, and only drink.

I remember when the Longhorn was just a cool bar with a fun scene at the end of the day. People would always put awesome tunes on the jukebox (I think it was a jukebox) and you could get massages at the bar for $1/minute. Now, they're definitely going for the bottom of Aspen Ajax Tavern scene, mixed in with a little Highlands Cloud 9 champagne spraying.

If it brings in the money, which I'm sure a few hundred people paying $12/drink does, then Vail/The Town ain't gonna do shit.

HAVING SAID THAT, where are the more chill places to grab a beers after skiing that ya'll like?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    That's the under-21 kids up from the states who are here to drink, and only drink.
    I think there's something to that, but why would they go all the way to Whistler to drink? Seems like it would be a lot more convenient to just go to Vancouver. OTOH maybe it's better not to question the thought processes of 19 year olds...

Whistler 2019 - 2020

I don’t think they still do this but when I was in high school in Oregon we would take “chaperoned” week long trips up to whistler on buses. I was the organizer for my high school in so far as promoting the trip and I got a free trip, tickets, and nice lodging in the village.

Those chaperones never saw high school substance abuse like they did between 97-99’. We all had these crappy fake IDs someone made from New Jersey, fitting for the longhorns scene of late, and would party at the likes of Tommy Africa’s, savage beagle, etc. all night and ski all day.

Even spent the night in jail/drunk tank up there then got out in morning and skied all day. A lot of kids only drank. Glorious times, but yeah the scene at longhorns takes it up a notch from the basement dance clubs.