Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 94

Thread: Energy Bars

  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    Ingredients of a snickers bar,“milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, skim milk, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor), peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, palm oil, skim milk, lactose, salt, egg whites, artificial flavor.”

    Im still not a fan of this lineup. Anything that has corn syrup and just “sugar” is a no go for me. Also palm oil...

    In comparison the Lara bar in front of me has, “cashews, dates, apples, blueberries, vanilla extract.”

    The Whole Lotta Clif Bar has “date paste, pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashew butter, pea protein, sesame seeds, coconut, virgin coconut oil, sea salt, natural flavors, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, rosemary extract, nutmeg”.

    Both are gluten free, have more fiber than snickers, have only a few grams less of carbs, and close to equal amount of calories. Sugar levels are slightly lower but mainly due to the fact that these have neither corn syrup nor any added sugars. That’s fine by me.
    you do realize your body has no idea if the sugar is corn syrup or cane right?

    Mayo is probably wrong though....

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...p/faq-20058201

    Now while i would rather have cane sugar as I feel corn syrup was only created to boost the stupid corn market from failure, the body still doesnt know the difference.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    you do realize your body has no idea if the sugar is corn syrup or cane right?

    Mayo is probably wrong though....

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...p/faq-20058201

    Now while i would rather have cane sugar as I feel corn syrup was only created to boost the stupid corn market from failure, the body still doesnt know the difference.
    After some research yes youíre right besides,
    refined sugars not being substantial enough to make you feel full, whereas natural sugars do make you feel full do to having more fiber. I didnít actually know that after the sugar reaches the small intestine the body knows no different so thanks for calling me out on that.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    you do realize your body has no idea if the sugar is corn syrup or cane right?

    Mayo is probably wrong though....

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...p/faq-20058201

    Now while i would rather have cane sugar as I feel corn syrup was only created to boost the stupid corn market from failure, the body still doesnt know the difference.
    True. But your body does know the difference between fruit sugar and artificial sugar due to the fiber that is associated with the fruit sugar. Now does this matter when you're instantly using the sugar while exercising? Probably not much. The question I ask myself is, was my body made to eat this 3,000 years ago? A bar made of nuts and fruit, ya probably. A bar made of caramel, chocolate, peanuts, and nuget, probably not. But once again, does it really matter when you're instantly using that blood sugar increase

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,403
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    was my body made to eat this 3,000 years ago?
    Spats?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    you do realize your body has no idea if the sugar is corn syrup or cane right?
    Sucrose is 50/50 glucose/fructose, HCFS is nominally 55% fructose but can be as high as 65%. Fructose is a relatively poor source of energy compared to glucose, so while there isn't a huge difference there is a difference.

    Now, to further complicate things "corn syrup" and HFCS are not the same thing. Corn syrup is corn starch that has been digested into glucose monomers, it contains zero fructose. As endurance fuel goes it's totally acceptable. Hammer claims polysaccharides like starch and maltodextrin are superior to mono- and disaccharides (glucose, fructose, sucrose) since they can be absorbed by the body as more concentrated solutions (https://www.hammernutrition.com/know...bohydrates-101). Of course, Hammer has a vested interest there since they make money selling maltodextrin-based products, but AFAIK that's sound science.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,054
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    But once again, does it really matter when you're instantly using that blood sugar increase
    It does not, and during endurance exercise fiber is just non/poorly-digestible bulk that is detrimental.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It does not, and during endurance exercise fiber is just non/poorly-digestible bulk that is detrimental.
    huh, haven't heard this take before, but makes sense. So in this case Snickers is actually a better fuel source than lets say fruit?

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,245
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    The question I ask myself is, was my body made to eat this 3,000 years ago?
    You’re 3000 years old?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Youíre 3000 years old?
    Our genes are. But yes, yes I am

  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,467
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    True. But your body does know the difference between fruit sugar and artificial sugar due to the fiber that is associated with the fruit sugar. Now does this matter when you're instantly using the sugar while exercising? Probably not much. The question I ask myself is, was my body made to eat this 3,000 years ago? A bar made of nuts and fruit, ya probably. A bar made of caramel, chocolate, peanuts, and nuget, probably not. But once again, does it really matter when you're instantly using that blood sugar increase
    Seeing the ingredients of the Snickers aside from the hcfs it's pretty natural. Sure we didn't know chocolate 3k ago but we do know it's potential benefits today.

    This thread is about energy, snickers supply that. If you eat Snickers and sit on the couch, well not good.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Seeing the ingredients of the Snickers aside from the hcfs it's pretty natural. Sure we didn't know chocolate 3k ago but we do know it's potential benefits today.

    This thread is about energy, snickers supply that. If you eat Snickers and sit on the couch, well not good.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Good point. All these diet trends have diet becoming more complicated than it needs to be. Eating easy quick energy (sugar) foods when heavily exercising, probably a good idea. Eating easy quick energy foods when sitting on the couch, probably not a good idea.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Taos Ski Valley or my truck
    Posts
    535
    Plug for local company: Taos Bakes

    Formerly Taos Mountain Energy.

    I see them all across the West in Whole Foods.

    Gluten Free.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The rules are different when you're talking about actively fueling caloricly-intensive activities.
    This is a point a lot of the twigs-nuts-and-berries contingent seems to be missing. The OP wasn't asking about what to eat if you're going to be sitting at a desk all day, but what to eat for athletic performance. Those are two very different activities with two very different nutritional requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    substantial enough to make you feel full
    I'd argue that you probably don't want to feel "full" while exercising....
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    was my body made to eat this 3,000 years ago?
    They didn't have coffee 3,000 years ago. Coffee's health benefits are extensive. And if you're going to deprive yourself of coffee because of some ill-conceived evolutionary requirement... well... go for it: "there is no Hell but the one we make."

    They didn't have much 3,000 years ago. Let alone the fact that they sure as shit didn't live very long either. And depending on where they were 3,000 years ago, they would've had very different varieties of "not much". Are you going to eat a diet like someone in the African rain forest, the American plains, or the Norwegian coast, etc. etc. etc.? And, the "natural" food you buy in the supermarket didn't exist 3,000 years ago either, but now we're getting into GMO argument territory, so I'll leave that alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    natural sugars...having more fiber
    Fruit has almost no fiber. Fresh fruit is mostly water. The dried, packaged fruit you're thinking of for natural-feel-good energy on-the-go is almost all 1/2 glucose and 1/2 fructose (which is sucrose, which is table sugar, which, as Dantheman pointed out, is nearly the exact ratio of Glc:Fuc in high-fructose corn syrup).
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,396
    I was the Sales Director for a medium sized energy bar company once upon a time. I eat Snickers these days...

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Sure we didn't know chocolate 3k ago but we do know it's potential benefits today.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    We knew chocolate at least 2,500 years ago... but really... why is the length of time we've been eating things a good proxy for how healthy they are? Maybe it's a good heuristic if we say whole foods are good and processed foods are bad and there were no processed foods 3K years ago, but I'm not sure that I want to model my health practices based on a time when the average person lived to be like 35.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,247
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    I'm not sure that I want to model my health practices based on a time when the average person lived to be like 35.
    Quoting this because it deserves to be quoted! haha.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sucrose is 50/50 glucose/fructose, HCFS is nominally 55% fructose but can be as high as 65%. Fructose is a relatively poor source of energy compared to glucose, so while there isn't a huge difference there is a difference.

    Now, to further complicate things "corn syrup" and HFCS are not the same thing. Corn syrup is corn starch that has been digested into glucose monomers, it contains zero fructose. As endurance fuel goes it's totally acceptable. Hammer claims polysaccharides like starch and maltodextrin are superior to mono- and disaccharides (glucose, fructose, sucrose) since they can be absorbed by the body as more concentrated solutions (https://www.hammernutrition.com/know...bohydrates-101). Of course, Hammer has a vested interest there since they make money selling maltodextrin-based products, but AFAIK that's sound science.
    I hung out with a ultra runner/ultra running coach for a weekend, this guy said he was maybe top 300 in the world at the time, used to run 6 hrs every friday for his big training run and he was a big hammer user. He claimed it will keep you fueled without making you sick to your stomach in long events, he recommended marking a half litre water bottle with a sharpie into 1/4ers to make sure you go thru one an hr by hitting hit the lines every 15min

    I seen buddy on the skin track and asked how ya doing, he looked at his HR monitor and exclaimed 82% of max heart rate ... great! he had this all down to a science !

    Buddy skied up a blue run 36 kms, down 36kms the hard part cuz he was a shitty skier, while climbing 27500 ft in < 13hrs which was about 7 hrs faster than any normal ski tourer had ever done it

    I found that I didnt crash at all on Perpetuim (kind of boring) whereas I had crashed 4 or 5 times the previous yr
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,054
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    but I'm not sure that I want to model my health practices based on a time when the average person lived to be like 35.
    Life expectancy at birth can be a very misleading statistic....

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    426
    We've been sucking Snickers dick pretty hard in this thread, but it needs to be pointed out that there's nothing special or magical about Snickers either (beside the fact that it is the most perfect candy bar in general). Most candy bars would do the trick: Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Hersheys, Heath, Baby Ruth, etc. Butterfinger, Kit Kat, and Twix are fine nutritionally, but they aren't very impact resistant. Reese's is, of course, the most delicious, but shape and packaging make it a poor fit for this purpose. Payday is a little heavy on the nuts and a little light on the carbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    6,838
    snickers come in multiple sizes vs other candy bars- I think that's the biggest issue with them being popular. the ease
    also the peanuts are nice.
    Heath bar and Butterfingers are good too but they get caught in the molars- cavity city
    Once ate paydays only on a long distance bike race and now can never eat one again (much like if you've had a bad alcohol experience ie tequila- never again)
    Reece's are going to maybe my new go to- good call
    skid luxury

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,727
    Also, a Milky Way is a Snickers without nuts. A Mars is a British and Canadian Milky Way. A Three Musketeers is a Milky Way without caramel.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,247
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    We've been sucking Snickers dick pretty hard in this thread
    So is the entire Snickers bar itself the dick, or just part of it? Figured we'd need to clarify such a detail in this important thread.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Also, a Milky Way is a Snickers without nuts. A Mars is a British and Canadian Milky Way. A Three Musketeers is a Milky Way without caramel.
    Snickers used to be called Marathon bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    the entire Snickers bar itself the dick
    Makes you think twice about "Fun-Size".
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    394
    I'm a little confused by this thread. How did it devolve into a debate over healthy vs non-healthy food. That's such a stupid topic. I read something a few years that stuck in my head. The question of healthy and non-healthy is the wrong question. What one has to ask is whether or not the food they're eating is nutritious. All food can become unhealthy. If you want to eat snickers, go for it. Don't give me some bullshit about them being healthy or unhealthy. An active person eating a snickers as a source of energy isn't a problem at all, a sedentary person eating a snickers in lieu of a nutritious meal every single day is probably a bad idea.

    To the OP's question, I can't believe no one has mentioned Kind Bars (or maybe I missed it). They sell them at Costco. They're delicious, especially the basic ones which usually just have whole nuts, a little chocolate and some sugary syrup to stick it all together. Most days I have one in my lunch bag at the office because it's better than caving in and walking up the street to the coffee shop and spending $6 for a giant cookie and cup of coffee.

    As far as other energy options, I like the Spring Energy Gels for distance running or long days in the skin track. In particular, the Canaberry and the Power Rush variety. They're really tasty, made with real whole foods, and they work like a gel should work. Unfortunately, they're really expensive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •