Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Energy Bars

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Only goal is quick cheap energy? Snickers and clif are great for that. If you don’t want the bar to make your midsection softer, look for a 1:10 protein gram to calorie ratio. 20g protein and 200 calories is a good target. Pure, think thin, one, quest are all great options. Pure from Costco are under $1 per bar. One bars are $2 on amazon, but they are the easiest to eat when cold.
    Going heavy on the protein is not what you want to do for quick on-the-go energy. Burning protein for energy is not particularly efficient. If what you want is energy on the go, during activities, go for sugar and carbs (quickly absorbed and used by your muscles).

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    Going heavy on the protein is not what you want to do for quick on-the-go energy. Burning protein for energy is not particularly efficient. If what you want is energy on the go, during activities, go for sugar and carbs (quickly absorbed and used by your muscles).
    This is the truth, right here. Lot's of truth in this thread, actually. Energy bars taste like shit and contain no magic ingredients. They aren't nutritionally superior to candy bars, really.

Protein is best eaten afterward exertion for recovery and repair. And fat, while tasty and energy dense, tends to delay gastric emptying. I don't go out of the way to avoid it, but I do limit it.

If you're actively exercising, you want something that digests easily and relatively quickly. Personally, I'm a little prone to insulin spikes and crashes, so I tend to go for stuff that has some fiber in it too. And, since it's going to be eaten on the go, packability is key too. So, I'm a big fan of some of the higher fiber bagels and english muffins, along with a Name:  snickers-today-main-180928_4cde44fa22fddd80622982a044bb5709.fit-760w.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  83.4 KB or two.

Let the self-righteous health zealots and dentists-who-don't-know-no-better (bless their hearts) keep all the energy bar companies in business; we don't need 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

There just has to be a better no processed sugar, less processed ingredients alternative out there than snickers bars... I understand that you get quick calories and good sugar from them, but they fuck up your health in general. The whole nutrition thread talks about the benefits of eating healthily and avoiding processed foods, but everyone is eating snickers going up the hill?!

The new no sugar added clif bars that are figs or dates (?), nuts, some have chocolate, are my new go to bars for outings. Plenty of NATURAL sugar that can propel me up the hill, or I just bring trail mix with plenty of nuts and seeds + some dried fruits and maybe some dark chocolate. I try to avoid meat just for environmental reasons.

Also homemade bars are a plenty good alternative and easily cheaper than snickers or clif bars+ no fucking plastic that is choking our planet.

Food processor with some dried figs, a few chia seeds, and spices of your choice. Ground them up and then add in nuts and or chocolate. You can put them in individual packages, freeze em, try to bake them with chocolate on top, eat them right away, give them as gifts, etc.

Im not going to lie... i cannot support snickers as a good alternative for fuel up the mountain.

What is ‘processed’ food and what makes it unhealthy? Actually, why don’t we figure out what ‘unhealthy’ and ‘healthy’ actually means?

How does eating a snickers fuck up my body in the long term?

Also added sugar is still natural and a great source of rapidly available energy when you need it. There is a reason we developed a taste for it over a few hundred thousand years of evolution.

What makes nature’s chemical experiments inherently healthier for human consumption than a laboratory’s?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    What is ‘processed’ food and what makes it unhealthy? Actually, why don’t we figure out what ‘unhealthy’ and ‘healthy’ actually means?

How does eating a snickers fuck up my body in the long term?

Also added sugar is still natural and a great source of rapidly available energy when you need it. There is a reason we developed a taste for it over a few hundred thousand years of evolution.

What makes nature’s chemical experiments inherently healthier for human consumption than a laboratory’s?
    Well its true that ignorance is bliss and I dont want to ruin that for you... your health not mine. Just try and avoid the plastic please cause that affects everyones health.

This is a great thread.

I'm always on the go and I don't have time to fill up a bottle with water, so what type of prepackaged water should I buy, because I'm always on the go? It should be expensive so I can brag about how great it is, but not too expensive because of don't want people to think I'm only a dentist.

And since I'm always on the go, what type of electrolyte powder should I add to my prepackaged water, since I'm always on the go? It should be expensive so I can brag about how great it is, but not too expensive because of don't want people to think I'm only a dentist.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Peanut or almond butter and jelly sandwiches. Comes in an infinite variety of combinations. Takes about 15 seconds to make for the “on the go” type of consumer. Average cost, $0.15.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Snicker's Almond for life. That plus a handful of pistachios and dates and I'm good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    My go to has been

Raw almonds
    Nestle dark chocolate morsels
    Unsweetened coconut flakes
    dried cranberries or cherries

mixed all together

or a Snickers
    ^^^The correct answer.
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    This is a great thread.

I'm always on the go and I don't have time to fill up a bottle with water, so what type of prepackaged water should I buy, because I'm always on the go? It should be expensive so I can brag about how great it is, but not too expensive because of don't want people to think I'm only a dentist.

And since I'm always on the go, what type of electrolyte powder should I add to my prepackaged water, since I'm always on the go? It should be expensive so I can brag about how great it is, but not too expensive because of don't want people to think I'm only a dentist.
    On a trip to Moab this fall a Chiropracter (fresh out of dentists eh ?) on the trip recommended Magnesium citrate for recovery she had some so I tried it and the stuff works so i got my own jar of the stuff but only use it after big days

I refill them pre-packaged water bottles and store em in the frig to grab because they are super light and I don't care if one goes missing ( so they never go missing )

a piece of landjaeger and a chunk of cheese for the no carb snack
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    There just has to be a better no processed sugar, less processed ingredients alternative out there than snickers bars... I understand that you get quick calories and good sugar from them, but they fuck up your health in general. The whole nutrition thread talks about the benefits of eating healthily and avoiding processed foods, but everyone is eating snickers going up the hill?!

The new no sugar added clif bars that are figs or dates (?), nuts, some have chocolate, are my new go to bars for outings. Plenty of NATURAL sugar that can propel me up the hill, or I just bring trail mix with plenty of nuts and seeds + some dried fruits and maybe some dark chocolate. I try to avoid meat just for environmental reasons.

Also homemade bars are a plenty good alternative and easily cheaper than snickers or clif bars+ no fucking plastic that is choking our planet.

Food processor with some dried figs, a few chia seeds, and spices of your choice. Ground them up and then add in nuts and or chocolate. You can put them in individual packages, freeze em, try to bake them with chocolate on top, eat them right away, give them as gifts, etc.

Im not going to lie... i cannot support snickers as a good alternative for fuel up the mountain.
    FFS.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Tigers milk

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I throw a concentrated mix of Tang and a preworkout in a small 8oz bottle. When i need the boost, i just down the whole bottle in one go. Drinking water comes from the bladder in my pack.

As for bars, i just use clif bars or grab a couple snickers on the way. no need to get fancy, scientific, or crafty.

On a trip to Moab this fall a Chiropracter (fresh out of dentists eh ?) on the trip recommended Magnesium citrate for recovery she had some so I tried it and the stuff works so i got my own jar of the stuff but only use it after big days

I refill them pre-packaged water bottles and store em in the frig to grab because they are super light and I don't care if one goes missing ( so they never go missing )

a piece of landjaeger and a chunk of cheese for the no carb snack
    Mag citrate is also a semi-miracle cure for hangovers.

+1 on meat and cheese snacks. Fats & salt balance out the carbs nicely on long days.
    Ms Boissal is packing these soft flasks she fills with PB and honey for instant carb loading. I keep stealing them out of her pack, they work great.

Didnt know that ^^ I think Magnesium Citrate can also give you the runs so be careful
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    This is the truth, right here. Lot's of truth in this thread, actually. Energy bars taste like shit and contain no magic ingredients. They aren't nutritionally superior to candy bars, really.

Protein is best eaten afterward exertion for recovery and repair. And fat, while tasty and energy dense, tends to delay gastric emptying. I don't go out of the way to avoid it, but I do limit it.

If you're actively exercising, you want something that digests easily and relatively quickly.
    I'd argue that something like a Larabar is demonstrably healthier than a Snickers. Whether that maters at all in this context is quite debatable, though, and everything else in this post is largely spot on. Ideally you want mostly glucose, a little protein to prevent muscle catabolism on efforts longer than 2 hours, and a little fat to improve palatability.

The whole nutrition thread talks about the benefits of eating healthily and avoiding processed foods, but everyone is eating snickers going up the hill?!
    The rules are different when you're talking about actively fueling caloricly-intensive activities.

Love me some Snickers, especially peanut butter. I try to buy an extra bag or two the day after Halloween at half price.

This is why I like perfect bars. More calories, fiber, and protein, less bullshit that you would find in a snickers like trans fat. Much more expensive but I’m not gonna bitch about the cost of something that’s only $2. Plus I’m gluten intolerant so there’s that too.

A snickers bar is going to fuck up your health? Lighten up, Francis.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    less bullshit that you would find in a snickers like like trans fat...Plus I’m gluten intolerant so there’s that too.
    No hydrogenated oils currently in Snickers, and they're gluten-free. Not much bullshit in a Snickers, really: https://www.google.com/search?client...rs+ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Plus I’m gluten intolerant so there’s that too.
    That took longer than expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    X2 - and cost is somewhere between $0.65 and 0.79 each.
    bet less if you buy a full box at costco or the interwebs.

2 betties

btw I was a bit miffed about the thought that larabars were "healthier" than a snickers.

Go do some interneting....you'll see they are damn close and in some cases larabars have more calories

and get this....snickers has about 4 more carbs than the larabar....

YMMV...ill stick with tasty snickers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    btw I was a bit miffed about the thought that larabars were "healthier" than a snickers.

Go do some interneting....you'll see they are damn close and in some cases larabars have more calories

and get this....snickers has about 4 more carbs than the larabar....

YMMV...ill stick with tasty snickers too.
    Whether something is healthy or not goes a bit beyond the total calorie content and macro breakdown. Not that it matters in this context, as I've already said.

zzz pointed me to these:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...ut-date-balls/

Made a few times for biking/touring and def hit the spot.

Ingredients of a snickers bar,“milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, skim milk, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor), peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, palm oil, skim milk, lactose, salt, egg whites, artificial flavor.”

Im still not a fan of this lineup. Anything that has corn syrup and just “sugar” is a no go for me. Also palm oil...

In comparison the Lara bar in front of me has, “cashews, dates, apples, blueberries, vanilla extract.”

The Whole Lotta Clif Bar has “date paste, pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashew butter, pea protein, sesame seeds, coconut, virgin coconut oil, sea salt, natural flavors, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, rosemary extract, nutmeg”.

Both are gluten free, have more fiber than snickers, have only a few grams less of carbs, and close to equal amount of calories. Sugar levels are slightly lower but mainly due to the fact that these have neither corn syrup nor any added sugars. That’s fine by me.