Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Energy Bars

Energy Bars

Maybe the wrong forum but didn't find something better.

Looking for a solid energy bar I can buy in bulk online for skiing, biking, just on the go. I lean towards the bars that don't have a paragraph of ingredients and I can pronounce all of them. My two favorites right now are RXbars and Perfect Bars. Perfect bars are too expensive to eat regularly (I eat about a bar a day 'cause I'm always on the go). RXbars at costco are a pretty solid deal but I don't always have access to a costco card. Looking to find a bar at around $1.50/bar and I'm assuming online is the best bet. Do you guys have a go-to bar or buy bulk online?

Red ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

My go to has always been Lara bars. Easy ingredients, plenty of natural sugar and energy, more affordable, and you could make them yourself if you wanted to.

Energy Bars

x2 for perfect bars. The luckys market I go too usually has 2/$4 or 2/$5 deals on them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Peanut or almond butter and jelly sandwiches. Comes in an infinite variety of combinations. Takes about 15 seconds to make for the “on the go” type of consumer. Average cost, $0.15.

Search for jong bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Search for jong bars
    To be fair, that's in Sprockets, which isn't where I would search for this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Search for jong bars
    I did a search and had no luck. Thank you tho

I have recently ditched the Clif and energy bars for a plain old Snickers - which tastes better and is basically the same thing. Doesn't work for warm weather bike rides, however.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I have recently ditched the Clif and energy bars for a plain old Snickers - which tastes better and is basically the same thing. Doesn't work for warm weather bike rides, however.
    Snicker's Almond for life. That plus a handful of pistachios and dates and I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    X2 - and cost is somewhere between $0.65 and 0.79 each.

I was listening to the Gear:30 Blister podcast today and dude brought 1/2 pound of bacon on a 10k linkup where her skied 3 aspects of a 14er. I figured the TGR collective would be very appreciative of his choice of sustenance.

I personally have ditched the energy bars and chow on a mix of almonds + chocolate chips with a bit of added salt. I usually have a couple of Gus (gels or blocks) handy if I bonk. For all days tours I add a PB&J and if I'm really going nuts I bring a chicken breast with cheese & hard boiled eggs.

I'm just here for the carb spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    My go to has always been Lara bars. Easy ingredients, plenty of natural sugar and energy, more affordable, and you could make them yourself if you wanted to.
    Lara Bars FTW. Usually find them for about $1/bar and buy some boxes. I don't love Cliff bars, but for $1 or less each they're fine, but I'm not eating bars on the regular.

My go to has been

Raw almonds
    Nestle dark chocolate morsels
    Unsweetened coconut flakes
    dried cranberries or cherries

mixed all together

or a Snickers
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Energy Bars

Only goal is quick cheap energy? Snickers and clif are great for that. If you don’t want the bar to make your midsection softer, look for a 1:10 protein gram to calorie ratio. 20g protein and 200 calories is a good target. Pure, think thin, one, quest are all great options. Pure from Costco are under $1 per bar. One bars are $2 on amazon, but they are the easiest to eat when cold.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I once had the perfect organic bar from italy. They dont make them any more. I always bought them in bulk at the factory for a good price. Man i could not eat them anymore in march. I was disgusted. Now i always by different ones.
    Favorite at the moment" raw bite peanut "

Jerky. Dark chocolate. Dried fruit and nuts. Pinch of salt. Mix any way you want.

Big difference between a 'on the go' office snack type bar and 'maintain a long day in the saddle' type bar.

Eating a bar non-exercise it's a protein heavy bar for me.

Long day with the hammer down its always a snickers. Supplement with skittles in a pinch.
    Usually a PB sando and few Dori's in a ziplock for the summits.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I lean towards the bars that don't have a paragraph of ingredients and I can pronounce all of them?
    Why restrict options to a limited vocabulary?

x2 on Snickers. For longer days I like Snickers, cheddar, and salami or jerky. Usually a couple of GU packets too, depending on objectives. Sometimes a Clif or similar.

Edibility is key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

hi-chews. rip a skin. pop a chew.

Lara are nice that don't freeze solid, but preference atm is vega bars.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Why restrict options to a limited vocabulary?
    Because I don't want to eat a chem lab experiment

I make a batch of cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese, kerry gold butter, sugar, vanilla. That is, the best part of carrot cake.

Bring a "little" tub of it bc skiing, dip any bar into it. Clif, Kind, Lara, cheapo granola, whatever. Adds [tons of] calories, moisture, mouth-feel, deliciousness.

oh and Walker's shortbread beats almost any bar.