Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Energy Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I'm a little confused by this thread. How did it devolve into a debate over healthy vs non-healthy food.
    OP specifically asked for non-junk food suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    To the OP's question, I can't believe no one has mentioned Kind Bars (or maybe I missed it).
    A bit heavy on nuts and light on saccharides for endurance fuel, IMO, but if you like them and they work for you then rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Snickers used to be called Marathon bars.
    I'm guessing that was on the other side of the pond?

Salomon, Atomic, Armada bindings. It's funny how market segmentation works to sell the same thing to different demographics. Shows how silly we all are.

Not a bar but sustained good food energy.

Heathers choice Packaroon. Ingredients simple enough to make but damn good the way they do!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Quoting this because it deserves to be quoted! haha.
    Well in reality they died at 35 from shit like colds not because of what they ate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

So is the entire Snickers bar itself the dick, or just part of it? Figured we'd need to clarify such a detail in this important thread.
    They do have that too "vein" so

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Well in reality they died at 35 from shit like colds not because of what they ate.
    Yeah, I know, it was still a good line.

Trend away...but I'll add EAA's (essential amino acids to help stave muscle catabolism), Himalayan salt, and maple syrup to my green tea/water for the day.

And pack a real lunch of some type of ground meat, yams/sweet potatoes, vegetables, mashed together (for easier consumption) , add pineapple to help with absorption and sugar. A small supply of nuts/dates and a tin of olive oil+lemon sardines lives in the pack for extra sustenance if needed.

I need to grab a bigger pack so I can bring a coffee thermos along (cocao nibs soaking and cinnamon, yum-yum).
    Last edited by robnow; 12-14-2019 at 10:20 AM.

It's like there's a party in your backpack, and everyone is invited.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    It's like there's a party in your backpack, and everyone is invited.
    The Temple needs nourishment.

Well in reality they died at 35 from shit like colds
    Yeah, I know, it was still a good line.
    True, but not really the point I think. The point is to make a counterargument to the assertion that our current diet should be based on the diet of our evolutionary ancestors (hereafter referred to as "The Cavemen") just because our genes were shaped by the selective pressures on those individuals.

The Cavemen were able to reproduce in their mid-teens. Even given the relatively long period of development of baby humans, their offspring were then able to have their own children in their mid-teens. Since evolution by natural selection can only act by altering the number of viable offspring in the succeeding generation, The Cavemen were evolutionarily irrelevant by their early 30s. Let alone the fact that most of them were dead by ~40 (they might as well be, they've already passed on their genes).

Our genes, that is, the genes we inherited from The Cavemen, were "chosen" by selective pressures to confer a greater probability that a baby-Caveman grow up to be ~15 years old, fuck, birth and raise a baby-Caveman of their own to be old enough to go off and fuck (again, ~15 years old). Therefore, selecting a diet based on any version of "it's what our ancestors ate" or "it's what our genetics are designed for" is actually adopting a set of dietary guidelines optimized to "live long enough to become a teenager, pop out a kid, raise that kid to become a teenager, and die" rather than "live an active and healthy life, and die of comfortable 'natural causes' at a pleasantly old age". One is not necessarily the other, because the system of circumstances that produced one (our genes) is not the environment (the modern world of desk-jockeying, sitting in traffic jams, shredding gnar pow, and living into our 70s at least) that we find ourselves in or wish to inhabit.

Positing that the diet The Cavemen had is one that we should adhere to is a logical fallacy.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 12-15-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: forgot a word
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Positing that the diet The Cavemen had is one that we should adhere to a logical fallacy.
    And not in line with the teachings of a our lord and savior Jesus Christ, amen.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

True, but not really the point I think. The point is to make a counterargument to the assertion that our current diet should be based on the diet of our evolutionary ancestors (hereafter referred to as "The Cavemen") just because our genes were shaped by the selective pressures on those individuals.

The Cavemen were able to reproduce in their mid-teens. Even given the relatively long period of development of baby humans, their offspring were then able to have their own children in their mid-teens. Since evolution by natural selection can only act by altering the number of viable offspring in the succeeding generation, The Cavemen were evolutionarily irrelevant by their early 30s. Let alone the fact that most of them were dead by ~40 (they might as well be, they've already passed on their genes).

Our genes, that is, the genes we inherited from The Cavemen, were "chosen" by selective pressures to confer a greater probability that a baby-Caveman grow up to be ~15 years old, fuck, birth and raise a baby-Caveman of their own to be old enough to go off and fuck (again, ~15 years old). Therefore, selecting a diet based on any version of "it's what our ancestors ate" or "it's what our genetics are designed for" is actually adopting a set of dietary guidelines optimized to "live long enough to become a teenager, pop out a kid, raise that kid to become a teenager, and die" rather than "live an active and healthy life, and die of comfortable 'natural causes' at a pleasantly old age". One is not necessarily the other, because the system of circumstances that produced one (our genes) is not the environment (the modern world of desk-jockeying, sitting in traffic jams, shredding gnar pow, and living into our 70s at least) that we find ourselves in or wish to inhabit.

Positing that the diet The Cavemen had is one that we should adhere to is a logical fallacy.
    But, but, but, but paleo bro! Keto! Primal! Cmon.

Actually solid work explaining that. I’ve lectures on this topic many times in my classes and none the less. Paleo! Keto! Primal!

LOL, I've seen a modern teenager be unable to feed themselves

a poor diet, lots of potatoe chips, half a bagel for breaky bring home the lunch uneaten, not eat dinner eat the wrong things lots of potatoe chips, a life time of feeling sick/unwell not listening to her mother of course the doc can't find anything wrong cuz there never was anything wrong

cuz when she goes on the fad keto diet the stomach pains/ the feeling like shit/the broken out face all go away OMG!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    paleo bro! Keto! Primal!
    No joke. The frustrating thing is when these diets make folks lose some weight (which they usually do), the proponents are convinced the diet worked because of some rigid framework of paleo, or keto, or primal; instead of the fact that the diet created a calorie deficit. So that's what I have to listen to them preach about when I'm eating my Reese's.

By the way, what do you teach?
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    But, but, but, but paleo bro! Keto! Primal! Cmon.

Actually solid work explaining that. I’ve lectures on this topic many times in my classes and none the less. Paleo! Keto! Primal!
    Keto diet is mimicking a caveman diet?
    news to me.
    thought it was a roughly 100 year old derivative of fasting to treat epilepsy

I'm a big fan of https://garukabars.com/ and that's pretty much all I eat for trail snacks. Made in VT with quality ingredients, recyclable packaging and the owner is an absolute ripping skier (snowbird local).

I'm a little biased though, the owner is a good friend of mine. The big pic on the home page is my hand. That being said, I've had multiple friends who have no connection try them and are now sold on them and buying them online. Definitely worth a shot and if you buy more than 20 you save 25%.

No joke. The frustrating thing is when these diets make folks lose some weight (which they usually do), the proponents are convinced the diet worked because of some rigid framework of paleo, or keto, or primal; instead of the fact that the diet created a calorie deficit. So that's what I have to listen to them preach about when I'm eating my Reese's.

By the way, what do you teach?
    My sister and bro in law are 100% sold on keto. It's borderline annoying at family dinners.

How many annoying borderlines are at your family dinners?

I've made a bunch of recipes from this book, and have settled on one with rice and lentils as a mainstay. It tastes like actual food, which is nice when I'm skiing or riding for hours every day. I also easy a variety of prepackaged bars, but old school Nature Valley oat bars are a favorite.

https://books.google.com/books/about...ource=kp_cover

As others have noted above, if you're really getting after it (HR above zone 2), you just need easily digested sugars. If you're going easier you may not need to eat at all for efforts shorter than 3 hours or so.

"Training for the Uphill Athlete", House, Johnston, & Jornet's new book, is a great resource for those of us who like to go all day and beyond.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

https://2betties.com

they's gud.

pm me for 15% discount code (I'd just post it but I don't remember what it is)

Had a lemon Luna other day tasted good and good energy to ski 9 till 3

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Bunch of clementines in my backpack. Sure they are bulky, but it's mostly water I would need to carry anyways.

My sister and bro in law are 100% sold on keto. It's borderline annoying at family dinners.

well they are never going to keep that diet up so just breathe in, breathe out, be patient, FF a year or 2 you will get to say ... I told you so

Yea, I am in the need for something new . Granola/nut bars were a staple of my work day, but I have developed a nut allergy so now all my old goto's are not gonna work.

piece of cheese, piece of sausage will take away the food craving