Thread: Ghostbusters 3

Ghostbusters 3

Like most kids who grew up in the late '70s and early '80s, the original Ghostbusters movie was a seminal part of the pop culture construct of my childhood.

As a cynical adult I refused to buy into or even watch the all-female remake/reboot that came out in 2016. Not because I'm some sexist Neanderthal, but because there is nothing I despise quite as much as a lazy remake of a classic film where the only creative angle is to change the gender or ethnicity of the cast.

Back in January of this year the teaser for Ghostbusters: Afterlife dropped. Directed and co-written by Jason Reitman, the son of Ivan Reitman (writer/director of the original Ghostbusters film and it's sequel), the film ignores the 2016 reboot, effectively retconning the franchise.

The teaser was pretty cool:

Today, the official trailer dropped. And my latent cynicism kicked in.
    The film looks like a Disneyfied kid-centric adventure yarn rather than a snark filled supernatural tour de farce. I am not sure that I am 100% onboard for this based on the 2-minute summary. I will give the filmmakers credit for a semi-intriguing premise, but it also feels rather generic in that it borrows heavily from the "family with a secret past trope.

Hopefully the trailer is only revealing just a small portion of the film and that the real story is way cooler than what is being alluded to.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

^^^ I'm 100% with you on the refusal to watch the 2016 remake because it's lazy. After watching that trailer, I'm worried it's another lazy remake, but instead of replacing the main characters with women, they replaced them with children. And casting the Stranger Things kid seems like a cop out.

Also, was that trailer for Ghostbusters 3 or Tremors 17 (or whatever number Tremors they're on now)?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Also, was that trailer for Ghostbusters 3 or Tremors 17 (or whatever number Tremors they're on now)?
    The trailer actually reminded me of Super 8 in that it felt like some second tier Amblin Entertainment movie...

I think I'll just watch Tremors again... that was a fun movie.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    casting the Stranger Things kid seems like a cop out.
    I thought that was a weird joke for some reason.

Looks interesting enough. I’ll probably watch it just for nostalgia reasons. Whatever that means.

RIP Staypuff.

Aykroyd was on Joe Rogan's podcast a while back talking about how they were trying to get the original cast back together, even Murray. Was pretty excited for it until this dropped. Probably shouldn't have expected so much with how he was talking about UFOs and paranormal activity. He is way the fuck out there on that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Not gonna lie, I smiled at a few scenes in the trailer.
    I also Mckayla Maroney-faced a couple times too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Today's hyperbolic and sensationalistic headline: "The Outrage Over Ghostbusters: Afterlife Gets Real"