Extending skin length

Hey mags,

Have a skin fitment project and hoping to source some ideas/experience from others. Basically, I'm trying to fit a pair of older (but unused) Pomoca skins to a new pair of Blizzard Zero G 108s. Skins were cut to a different pair of skis, but only used once before I sold the skis. Quick fit showed that the skins are ~4 inches too short right now, but otherwise fit great.

My current plan is to first change the tip attachment - right now it's folded over - to a riveted attachment like Contour Vario Clips (https://skimo.co/contour-skin-parts). Then, I'm thinking I'll cut the tail strap off and attach a Viole strap. Problem is, Viole doesn't sell the attachment for the tail strap. Anyone have thoughts or ideas on how to get a longer tail strap on these skins? Kinda looked like the Black Diamond Tail Kit could work, but I'd rather not buy something that won't work.

What do you think of not having a tail clip. Then you wouldnt have all the hustle. And just let the skins run flat at the end?

or you replace the tail strap somehow with something longer. Probably best in a second step after trying nordkettes suggestion - only if needed.
    That is just sewing so you could use some flat belt material (like a safety belt or something) and sew it to the tail of the skin and reattach the strap by sewing into your belt.

I like the idea of stitching something like nylon or ballistic cloth to extend the skin at the tip (if taking advantage of the folded skin material isn't enough) and affixing tip loops to that.

I also like the idea of a longer tail strap. Maybe rivet a Voile strap to the tail? You could punch holes in it to work with BD or G3 tail clips.

I moved a skin from one ski to another and was 2-3 cm short.

The skins were G3s so this may not apply, but adding one of their twin tip attachments bought me just enough length.

The couple of times I had glue problems, I was glad I was clipped at the tail.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thanks for all the ideas! Not a huge fan of running the skins tailless - would rather have them clipped for the extra security. Stitching material onto the tip is an interesting idea. Hadn't thought of that but that might be a really good solution.

Thom, any chance you have experience with the BD tail kit and Viole strap (the 15in one https://skimo.co/voile-splitboard-skin-parts)? Thinking that's a good option but I'm not sure if they're easily compatible.

I have used the BD adjustable tail kit it seems great, it replaced a short fixed length tail clip that BD skins used to have.

If the skin is short of the ski length I wouldn't worry

SO if the skin is now too short to attach to the ski a longer tail leashes might work but 4 " is a lot to make up with leashes

I find the BD leash kits on the shorter side to make up 4" , some G3 tail straps are really long but I'm just going on what i see in stores becuz web info is not great IME

if the skin tip is folded over and stuck to itself maybe you pick up enough length by unfolding the skin and putting the end into one of the tip clips like the BD https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5019-8...SABEgKI_fD_BwE

Maybe extend ( I havent tried it ) the skin by sewing a piece of wide material to the skin tip or tail, it would have to be rugged so you might find webbing up to 3" wide for pretty fucking cheap and this would probbaly be the cheapest option but its a research and try kind of thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Do you have enough folded over material at the tip to gain the length so that you don't have to re/re the tail strap?

For reference, some mods that I've performed over the years; maybe something is applicable to your situation. Also, fwiw; I ski tour mostly solo and am usually building my own roads/breaking trail. I've found that for certain snow conditions combined with really technically challenging skin routes, having skin material that extends to, or very close to, the end of the ski really aids in traction. Regretted procrastinating on doing the xtender mods on numerous occasions when using skins that were too short in the tail.

1. With skins with the fold over tip loop material: if long enough, gain length by unfolding extra skin and rivet on a section of crazy carpet plastic to hold the tip loop attachment. Or, gain extra total length by adding a longer section of crazy carpet plastic.

2. For skins with fixed length tips like G3's, add a shaped piece of skin to the rear and glue it on with Shoegoo. The tail attachment was long enough to extend over the extension and clip onto tails of skis. This was for a temporary test but it held out for a full season. Changed skis the next season and simply peeled off the skin tail extension to restore original skin function.

Name:  P1120048.JPG
Views: 1038
Size:  132.8 KB

3. Sew and reinforce stitching with a layer of Shoegoo. Added tip and tail extensions to a pair of old skins i got handed down from Grandpa that he used during a stint in the Swiss army way back in the day. They were glueless clip/strap on units but I added glue and Pomoca tips and tails to bring them into the modern era. Amazing durability, the suckas lasted for years.

Final tip: double check the orientation of grip/glide direction for any added skin sections before cutting, sewing, glueing. Ask me how I know this.

Name:  P1120049.JPG
Views: 1009
Size:  173.3 KB

Name:  P1120050.JPG
Views: 983
Size:  173.9 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 12-09-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArbez View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas! Not a huge fan of running the skins tailless - would rather have them clipped for the extra security. Stitching material onto the tip is an interesting idea. Hadn't thought of that but that might be a really good solution.

Thom, any chance you have experience with the BD tail kit and Viole strap (the 15in one https://skimo.co/voile-splitboard-skin-parts)? Thinking that's a good option but I'm not sure if they're easily compatible.
    I don't have any handling experience with any add-on tail kits - as far as length of the strap, etc. Yeah, I've had one or two situations where I was glad I had a tail clip. I wouldn't choose to travel without them. I have enough creative ways to ruin my day ;-)

I think you have the tip side covered. I've retrofit BD & Contour tip loops to skins. With an old pair of Ascensions (the kind like yours, where the skin was folded over to secure the tip loop), I've shortened the flap and riveted it in place, in order to eliminate some bulk.

So yeah, you must have about 2 to 2.5" of "fold over" skin material at the tip. That can gain you that much length and leave you with 1.5 to 2" of length to make up at the tail (4" total shortage, I think?).

If the tail kits are too short (you can't make up the required length), I like @swissiphic's Shoe Goo tail solution (obviously, @xxx-er's Aquaseal will work). Since I invested in pop rivets however, I'm inclined to use them when possible.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

just go skiing. the skins can be a foot from the tail and all will be fine. I cut my g3 clips offs as they were more problem than they were worth.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    just go skiing. the skins can be a foot from the tail and all will be fine. I cut my g3 clips offs as they were more problem than they were worth.
    Not super into this idea, but may have to try it before investing in more skin parts. Will also consider the Aquaseal/sewing option. Thanks for the ideas y'all! Will post back up when I have solutions.

Not super into this idea, but may have to try it before investing in more skin parts. Will also consider the Aquaseal/sewing option. Thanks for the ideas y'all! Will post back up when I have solutions.
    Also, fwiw; if you're looking for just a few extra inches of skin material; When I was looking for 6 inch pieces of extras, I just asked local shops if they could save the pieces they cut off for customers who bought skins and had them trimmed and fitted at the shop. Picked up a good half dozen free pieces this way. A frugal guy could probably collect enough to make a full set of skins, given enough time/shops handing over the freebies.
    Master of mediocrity.

w

A foot was a stretch measured 9 inches. Been skiing these for 2 years a lot of days. Your glue is new should be no issues. Round the corners

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Also, fwiw; if you're looking for just a few extra inches of skin material; When I was looking for 6 inch pieces of extras, I just asked local shops if they could save the pieces they cut off for customers who bought skins and had them trimmed and fitted at the shop. Picked up a good half dozen free pieces this way. A frugal guy could probably collect enough to make a full set of skins, given enough time/shops handing over the freebies.
    Excellent tip. I love the idea of someone screwing around on a pair of patchwork skins. Will see what I can find from shops.

Sounds like Aquaseal is the preferred skin attachment method - I assume it's superior to sewing them together?

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    if you're looking for just a few extra inches of skin material
    Every inch counts.
    Name:  51N6naz5OcL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  27.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

https://skimo.co/voile-splitboard-skin-parts

I just noticed this ^^ the 15 " straps look good just not sure how to attach them to the back of the skin ?

I have used AQS to fix skins, I scraped the skin glue off, fixed them from the glue side with AQS and a piece of dryer sheet and replaced the glue, I think dry wall repair tape and AQS would make for a seamless looking repair and i would probably do it at the tip
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skin10.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	989.5 KB 
ID:	306159
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know