Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What pot and pans should I buy?

Wife told me to buy a new set, as our 9 yr old Anolon set is no longer "non-stick".
    Looking at sub $200
    Considering ceramic/copper...and will always wash any pot we get by hand.
    Need to be oven safe (prefer at least up to 400 degrees).

*will most likely buy from Amazon (for their easy return policy).
    https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Pots-P...kitchen&sr=1-4

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    Wife told me to buy a new set, as our 9 yr old Anolon set is no longer "non-stick".
    Looking at sub $200
    Considering ceramic/copper...and will always wash any pot we get by hand.
    Need to be oven safe (prefer at least up to 400 degrees).

*will most likely buy from Amazon (for their easy return policy).
    https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Pots-P...kitchen&sr=1-4
    Wirecutter is sort of the easy button for this stuff. Yes, it's probably not 100÷ bias free, bit have had decent luck. Used to be better prior to their acquisition.

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cookware

Why the full set?

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Clas...-garden&sr=1-5

Got this set as a wedding gift and love it. I worked in restaurants for a bit. Durable, professional feel, the nonstick surface feels bulletproof, oven safe up to 450*.

^^ Nonstick pots are just an insanely dumb idea.

Don't get a set, get individual pieces that you need. Stainless pots and carbon steel frying pans (for the latter, look at Lodge. Dirt cheap and will last generations).

Get just one $20 nonstick pan for eggs if you must.

I am not going to put together a list but you should be able to put together a serviceable collection for $200. The only real advantage to a set is interchangeable lids.

All three of our pans and our two small pots need to be replaced. The only salvageable one is the dutch oven/soup pot.
    Non-stick for the pans, especially with a 16 yr old and 14 yr old cooking. Lots of scrambled eggs and shredded hash-browns.
    I do like the idea of buying separate items...as I don't think our pots need to be non-stick.
    But the interchangeability of the lids also helps.

mcphee's Calphalon link is essentially what we have now...and we like it....and the straining lid could be great (mac n cheese and ramen are kids' favorites).

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    ^^ Nonstick pots are just an insanely dumb idea.
    How so other than buying off brand bargain bin pots? Just hand wash and use plastic or wooden utensils and you're good to go for a long time.

Because nonstick shit is bad for you and rather than "a long time" stainless pots will last literally forever. You can put them in the dishwasher, you can put them on the grill, you can put them in the oven, you an use whatever utensil you want, etc.

If you ever might trade up to an induction stove gets pans that will work. I like these Zwilling Henckel ceramic non-stick (it's not like teflon, you can do all the stuff Root mentioned with them, but they're not super non-stick, just slippery) like these on amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/ZWILLING-Sp...5844913&sr=8-2

They have all different sizes and style, you can build a set. Gonna end up over $200 though but not by too much if you don't go crazy

SS or CI
    watch out for snakes

Agree with Root. Had nonstick stuff for a while and got tired of replacing it. Decided to try the stainless route . Picked up a nice stainless set on closeout somewhere for just north of $250 if I remember right. It’s been going strong for several years now and it doesn’t get any special treatment. Everything goes in the dishwasher except for knives and the two cast iron skillets (1 large size and a smaller one).

Can’t ever seeing the need to replace any of it.

I did pick up a cooper nonstick pan for eggs for Christmas just to use as an egg pan but really the stainless has been fine. Bet you could put something together for your $200 budget.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

+1 stainless

If I were doing it all over again, I'd splurge for a full set of All-Clad Triply Stainless. Then just get a <$30 nonstick and replace as needed for eggs and other nonstick stuff. You could get a set of Cuisinart multiclad stainless for under $200. Just make sure it's the full cladded, not just the bottom clad cheap-o stuff.

I'd beware any full set of nonstick stuff, unless it's verified hard anodized with no added chemicals. Everybody freaks out about PFOAs in their nonstick and many companies now make PFOA-free pans, but they replaced the PFOAs (which we know all the bad stuff about) with other chemicals that we have no idea how they work and what dangers they have. I stick to stainless and cast iron.

I'd be interested in any science based study that links non-stick cooking pans to illness or disease.

Buy me a set of life long knives for 2 bills.

Seriously though, 3 all clads and you don't anything else. I don't think that comes in where you want it, but does it? I reach for my saute, my stock pot, and my I don't know how to describe it, big sauce pan, 80% of the time.

I can slick an egg, make a sauce, do a steak, make a whole fucking meal, I can do anything in that pan. All of them, actually.

I love our Ozeri Ceramic cookware.

It doesnt matter how careful you are the non-stick always get scratched somehow and starts to lose the coating

I would go for 1 non-stick fry pan just for cooking eggs and plan on replacing it, just get a set of SS pots n pans, they will last forever

I have to use a cast iron fry pan at the GF's to cook eggs and once you figure it out they don't stick ... much
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

We went for a basic cuisinart set of Al clad stainless steel, added a big saute pan also from cuisinart, have 3 sizes cast iron, and a mess of le creuset roasters, braisers, and a stewpot. Except for the le creuset, everything else totalled less than $250CAD. The cast iron and le creuset is near indestructible, and if anything happens to the cuisinart, it is easy to replace with the near same and keep it looking like a set.

Have fun shopping. Whatever you go for, the kitchen cookware is a fun place to build, and except for non-stick (it never lasts), it is hard to go really wrong. And there is a thread buried somewhere here that goes over many of the various sets, including copper clad silver.

I have a pair of calphalon nonstick omelet pans--8 and 12 in--that I only use for eggs. I have a 14 in nonstick pan for crepes because I can't lift a 14 in Carbon steel or cast iron pan. Other than that 90% of my frying is in CI or CS. I like the CS better. For pots I don't have any nonstick, mostly cheap stainless and one big ss all clad I got a great price on. We also have a few of hard anodized aluminum pots and pans we got as a wedding present--36 years old--which I used sometimes.
    Buy individual pieces you need, unless you have a designer kitchen that guests can see and you want all your cookware to match.
    And a couple of aluminum backpacking pots that are 50 years old.

My uncle used to sell cookware sets on the road. He got them for 5 dollars, went into bars and gas stations and the like and told the owners he was finishing a road trip and had a couple of sets he didn't want to take home. "I sell these for $150 but I'll let you have them for 10 to get rid of them." He fed a family that way for a number of years although he didn't see them much.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I'd be interested in any science based study that links non-stick cooking pans to illness or disease.
    Over heated tephlon makes parrots "pine for the fiords"

Topic as hell to birds if it vaporizes at all.

Copper clad and SS. Had a set of Revere Ware that my mother used by entire life, which she got from her mother. Was going to give it to my kids, but it didn't survive the fire. Even old Revere Ware isn't that tuff. Wife replaced it with Mauviel 1830. a couple pieces will quickly pass your $200 limit, though. Shit keeps me in line, getting hit by it makes a cast iron pan look like a pillow.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

have you seen this documentary yet?? Its not about cookware but it is about Teflon.

The Devil We Know

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    have you seen this documentary yet?? Its not about cookware but it is about Teflon
    Do you wear Gore-Tex?

Is it better to boil piss in a pot or a kettle?

I only cook in Arctyrx
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Is it better to boil piss in a pot or a kettle?
    Depends whether you have a pot to piss in.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Wirecutter is sort of the easy button for this stuff. Yes, it's probably not 100÷ bias free, bit have had decent luck. Used to be better prior to their acquisition.

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cookware

Why the full set?
    I bought their Tremontina recommendation for $220 this spring, and I’ve been happy with it.

I have a full calphalon set. The non-stick pans are garbage. The coating is way more fragile than cheaper pans I had in the past. The stainless pots and pans that came in the set are great. I like my big pasta boiler / strainer / steamer combo. I do like the set because the lids are interchangeable. I like the glass lids, it’s nice to see through.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA