Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The new boil-in-the-bib with the sous vide pocket is selling like hotcakes.
    Skis vide?

How long for a porter house steak slathered in black garlic with mashed potato and gravy?

Does ir run on those crappy Tesla batteries?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Dunno if they still carry it, but Costco used to have Kirkland-brand (probably Calphalon inside?) SS set. Set has been bombproof, from my experience.

And despite some old-man claims, SS sears and tolerates high heat just fine.

Make sure whatever SS you get is *heavy*...
    The all clad stainless I have says don't use high heat. But I'll give it a try if you buy me a new one if I wreck it. (It's stainless with aluminum core so the laminated construction may be the issue.)
    Bartender's Friend is good for cleaning stainless.
    The thing I like about carbon steel is that the dirtier it gets the less it sticks. I have had a carbon steel wok for 40 years--it's black on the inside, nothing sticks to it. A quick scrub with water and a plastic scrubber and it's clean.
    The think with copper is that a lot of companies put a very thin layer of copper on (Revere ware for example) as a selling point but I don't think it's any better than if the copper wasn't there. Like the difference between gold leaf and 18 carat solid gold. Real copper cookware is uber-expensive.

I wonder what Buttah recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I wonder what Buttah recommends.
    That's predictable and easy: we're all wrong.

The real mystery is what Tedski would cook on.
    I still call it The Jake.

I'm gonna go with an exhaust manifold.

Had a cooker on the sled pipe, hudge learning curve.

Needs a steady RPM for cooking control.
    watch out for snakes

Ended up ordering two ceramic skillets (8" & 12") and two ss pots (with straining lids).
    I plan on using my older Calphalon ss 5 1/2 quart saute pan and 14" cast iron more too....which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'm gonna go with an exhaust manifold.
    Damn, that’s probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The all clad stainless I have says don't use high heat. But I'll give it a try if you buy me a new one if I wreck it. (It's stainless with aluminum core so the laminated construction may be the issue.)
    Perhaps...

Seems odd, though, as that would be one of the reasons for getting SS, IMO - the ability to withstand high heat. If yours says don't use high heat, I guess I'd go with the mfg'r.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visions_(cookware)

anybody ever use this Visions stuff ^^ its made out of Calexium Glass which is glass ceramic

its transperant so you could watch the water boil, apparently it peaked in the 80's,

becuz its glass is would break but I still got one pot from a couple of marriages ago

If i remember right stuff would burn or stick more easy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

We needed to get some cheap cookware in a hurry, and bought some Ikea 365+, and damn, that stuff works great. Induction friendly, clear lids, etc. Maybe doesn't work as well as our expensive Le Crueset pieces, but I'm not sure.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

anybody ever use this Visions stuff ^^ its made out of Calexium Glass which is glass ceramic

its transperant so you could watch the water boil, apparently it peaked in the 80's,
    It looks delicate, as you say, though I see this appealing to the boil a ribeye crowd who also prefer to use glass dinner plates.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    It looks delicate, as you say, though I see this appealing to the boil a ribeye crowd who also prefer to use glass dinner plates.
    Drew could know the exact moment to pull his filet de cheval out of the water for that perfect well-done finish.

Mostly the Visions stuff was well marketed on the small tube back in the day but it was kinda cool to watch the bubbles if you were stoned eh ?

I got a couple Visions pieces as a sales promotion years ago. That stuff sucked. It held heat so long things would keep cooking/burn after you took them off the burner.

Late to the party here, and haven't read the whole thread, but my $0.02 as someone who cooks a lot is to get a good clad stainless steel stockpot, saucepan, and skillet, a cast iron skillet, and a single cheapish nonstick pan. They'll all last forever except the nonstick pan, which is cheap enough that you can replace it every couple of years. The only things you should be cooking in nonstick are eggs and fish; everything else does fine in stainless or cast iron. If you have money left over and you like to make chilis, stews or braised meats, get an enameled cast iron dutch oven (like a Le Creuset, or a decent knockoff). Oh, and a carbon steel wok is nice if you like to do Chinese food.

I got All-Clad pieces for my wedding over a decade ago and they still look and perform like new. Same with my Lodge cast iron skillet (actually, that one performs better than new since it's well seasoned now). We have two enameled cast iron dutch ovens (got the second one as a gift and liked having two) - one is Le Creuset and one is a knockoff from Marshall's. Can't say I can tell any difference, and both are going strong after 8+ years.

EDIT: My understanding of the All Clad high-heat issue is just that it can cause "rainbowing" where the color of the pan changes a little. It's not a safety issue. I've been using mine over whatever heat I want for a decade and they still look and work like new. (Granted, I don't have a restaurant stove - I suppose if you have a 40K BTU burner you might cause some discoloration.)
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Perhaps...

Seems odd, though, as that would be one of the reasons for getting SS, IMO - the ability to withstand high heat. If yours says don't use high heat, I guess I'd go with the mfg'r.
    I’ve seen this advice across the board with quality SS cookware. It’s to avoid warping the bottom at high heat. My guess is that it’s because of the aluminum interior layer.

For frying pans, we got a couple of these at costco and when the non-stick wore out we thought they were good enough value that we replaced them via amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80...garden&sr=1-30

We also have a set of Belgique pots that have held up really well for 15 years. There's one hell of a sale right now at Macy's. Unfortunately, these ones appear to be non-stick, which I agree for a pot is a stupid idea.
    https://www.macys.com/shop/product/b...cys?ID=2877773

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

becuz its glass is would break but I still got one pot from a couple of marriages ago

If i remember right stuff would burn or stick more easy
    Way back when I had a roommate or two, there was a nice large vision stewpot on the shelf. In the fall at cattle processing and hunting season, I would cook up fresh tongue. You start by boiling the whole muscle until the skin can be removed, then slice as desired before browning slightly in whatever sauce and additions you want in the frypan. Delicious. But the roomies would gag at the sight of that tongue floating around that nice clear stewpot!

fucking snow flakes eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Way back when I had a roommate or two, there was a nice large vision stewpot on the shelf. In the fall at cattle processing and hunting season, I would cook up fresh tongue. You start by boiling the whole muscle until the skin can be removed, then slice as desired before browning slightly in whatever sauce and additions you want in the frypan. Delicious. But the roomies would gag at the sight of that tongue floating around that nice clear stewpot!
    There's a thread somewhere with cow tongue pastrami. Sounds really good.

La Lingua

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I’ve seen this advice across the board with quality SS cookware. It’s to avoid warping the bottom at high heat. My guess is that it’s because of the aluminum interior layer.
    Do they define "high heat"?

Is it 1000F? I guess maybe that would be a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    There's a thread somewhere with cow tongue pastrami. Sounds really good.
    In a show I’m watching (“The Last Alaskans”), they rave about how good moose nose, or caribou head is. I think they must taste a whole lot better when you are starving.

On the stainless vs non-stick issue, like I posted earlier in the thread, I’ve got a couple all-clad hard anodized non-stick pans that I like a lot and use all the time. They don’t brown quite as well as the stainless pans that I still have, but they do a pretty good job. And yes, you can deglaze the pan to make a sauce from the fond.

And, of course, they clean up MUCH easier. I noticed that last night when I used the stainless pan to cook some burgers. Much more of a hassle to get the remaining stuck bits of meat off the bottom of the pan.

I suppose if I were really serious about this, I’d shell out for a solid copper pan with tin lining. Maybe some day.