Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    FWIW Americas Test Kitchen compared 3 ply and 5 ply All Clad and found no difference in performance.
    (As far as keeping stainless steel nice and shiny--ATK also tested and found that pans that were stained on the outside heated faster than nice clean ones. Of course on the show the pots and pans are immaculate--do they have people scrubbing for hours or do they use new stuff for every recipe--you know, like they use new balls every game in pro sports.)
    Thats what I figured ^^ and just got the 3 ply Zwilling which seems fine

I use one of those metal ribbon scrubbers and they come clean real easy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Brushing stainless is pretty straightforward. On a pan you really just need a light brush, enough to knock out the shine without creating a million crud catchers.
    just give it a good wash with green scotchbrite and you are well on your way to having a brushed pan.

12:18 that will change your life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inducyion.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	430867
    Relatively low post count.

Very educational.

I didn't think I would watch all of that, but here we are. She's great.

I'm a big fan of induction. All of the negative aspects she mentioned are true, but in the real world aren't the biggest of deals and can easily be managed.

The ability to precisely and repeatedly dial in a temperature is the biggest benefit in my opinion. Easy cleanup is the second.

Real good deals on all-clad stuff right now with a bonus 15% off on the seconds sale.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16152412-al...67041d&src=jfy

Oops, missed the Clad sale. Costco starts a sale on Nov 21st on a nice Kitchen Aide 11 piece 5 ply set with strong reviews for $299.99
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Grabbed the All-Clad set of anodized for Christmas for Mrs. MNIAW. She fancies herself as quite the cook and my expanding waistline is evidence that she is correct.

We just got an induction stove and all our 18/10 pots don’t work oops. I ordered a cuisinart multi lad pro 8 qt stockpot and will need some smaller ones as well (1.5/2, 3 and 6qt wide). I have all clad d3 skillets but not convinced the premium is worth it for saucepans and stockpots. Am I going to regret going cheaper on these? The pots being replaced are all basic disk clad ones (fiber ware level) that were fine other than they don’t work on the new stove.

What pot and pans should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    We just got an induction stove and all our 18/10 pots don’t work oops. I ordered a cuisinart multi lad pro 8 qt stockpot and will need some smaller ones as well (1.5/2, 3 and 6qt wide). I have all clad d3 skillets but not convinced the premium is worth it for saucepans and stockpots. Am I going to regret going cheaper on these? The pots being replaced are all basic disk clad ones (fiber ware level) that were fine other than they don’t work on the new stove.
    Can’t speak to Cuisinart, but you definitely won’t regret Tramontina. I replaced several Tramontina pans that weren’t induction compatible with some Tramontina Gourmet. The old stuff was great and the new stuff is even better. Excellent finish, at least as thick as any of my All-clad pans and better handles, IMO.

Looks like they don’t call it “Gourmet” anymore, but this is one of them: https://a.co/d/hdllkvn

Incidentally, Costco has a full set of Tramontina for dirt cheap. I actually wasn’t a fan because some of the bigger pans warped really easily, but it sounds like they’ve addressed that. They were nice pans otherwise, and easy to return if they don’t work out.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

We've been banging on the 3-ply Tramontina pans for about 2 years now from Costco for ~$200. We cook at least daily with them. Except for teaching my wife that no multi-ply pan should go from hot sear to immediate cold water (recipe for warping) -- they've been great. Even heating, good surfaces, nice handles. With a little Barkeepers friend every 5-10 uses they shine up like new.

For 95% of home cooks I can't see spending more on a base set. Including those on induction as they are induction-ready. Add a cast iron, and a non-stick pan for things like eggs and bobs your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    …not convinced the premium is worth it for saucepans... Am I going to regret going cheaper on these?
    Specifically for saucepans, it probably depends on how you cook. If a saucepan is just a smaller pot for boiling water or heating soup, no need for the good pans. However, if you or spouse likes more involved cooking, good saucepans are key - for example, I made a custard base over the weekend and with my allclad can do it straight over low heat so no double boiler, where a thinner pan would have scorched.

Allclad is expensive but I’ll sing their praise any time I’m asked. We bought ours (with wedding money, so it did lessen the sting) 20 years ago and the stuff still looks new and I cook for 5 every day. I fully imagine a grandchild of mine inheriting it in some decades. Plus, they are awesome at customer service/warranty. I have a nonstick skillet of theirs that, after 10 years, the coating was flaking; one email with pictures and a brand new skillet was sent!

What pot and pans should I buy?

If you’re in the market for a pressure cooker, Fissler is having a sale. I have the 4.8qt. Very nice piece of equipment, well made and quiet.

https://www.fissler.com/us/products/...essure-cooker/

another one of those allclad sales with the good deals and bad website going on now https://homeandcooksales.com/

Quote Originally Posted by aqua toque View Post
    12:18 that will change your life.
    I guess I should know better than to click on "life-changing" videos, but I did watch the whole thing. I have the frigidaire that was her low end model and it's quite adequate. Yea the magnets are small, but I can still brown things. It was like $800 all last year and I don't think anything else in that price range would have made me happier (no gas line to the house and no intention to add one). I'm sold on induction, I'll just buy a nicer one next time. All of my pots and pans work with it, mostly cheap cuisinart and tfal, and obviously cast iron is fine. I haven't warped any, but I don't dry-fire them on turbo mode either, so ymmv

A nice Sativa so you can get shit done with a smile and an 8" cast iron

Maybe 2 cast iron

tramontina

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    another one of those allclad sales with the good deals and bad website going on now https://homeandcooksales.com/
    Use SDADECVIP15 for 15% off $60+. The sale ends soon, I believe.

Once you buy pot

Who needs pans?

An alternative to this that is made anywhere but China? Otherwise, this is exactly what I want to give thing #2 for Christmas.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...le?sku=EC3CC33

I've got a couple nice sets of Lagostina cookware, but the stuff that gets used the most is the cast iron pans. I have no idea how old it is, but I have four of them and they all came from different grandparents when we cleaned out there houses.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    An alternative to this that is made anywhere but China? Otherwise, this is exactly what I want to give thing #2 for Christmas.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...le?sku=EC3CC33
    Le Creuset, Made In, and Staub have similar pans and are all made in France.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Le Creuset, Made In, and Staub have similar pans and are all made in France.
    I was horrified to find out that the pan I wanted was made in China. Lodge makes cast iron in the USA. Which is why I started there. Caught it just as I was about to click Buy.

Wow. This is a nice looking pan.

https://www.zwilling.com/us/staub-la...r-brands_staub

He's definitely wants the more casserole oriented, low, covered type pot that you can also bake. He has a tall dutch oven. The Coccette I guess is how Staub spells casserole. This looks like it will last a lifetime.

All-Clad still at it. 15% off $60+ (door busters excluded) with VIPSDFEB0623

https://homeandcooksales.com/?cjeven...9fa7b10a82b820