Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    What kind of pots do you think the Peloton woman will register for when she finds her new husband?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Do they define "high heat"?

Is it 1000F? I guess maybe that would be a problem...
    Not that I’ve seen, but there might be somewhere. I’ve just read recommendations not to go higher than med-hi.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Not that I’ve seen, but there might be somewhere. I’ve just read recommendations not to go higher than med-hi.
    What's medium high, giving the range in BTU's of stoves these days? (While we're at it--what is a clove of garlic, the big cloves on the outside or the little ones on the inside. Not that it matters. I always use more than the recipe calls for.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    <snip> I always use more than the recipe calls for.)
    You are a scholar and a gentleman, sir! Well done...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    this stuff will cook SS
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    this stuff will cook SS
    Well sure, you can melt a steel pan in it, but is it non-stick afterwards?

well it takes the heat but I don't remember it ever being non-stick

At your budget, anything from Costco, really. You can always kick it back if it sucks and they have a pretty nice selection of non stick, scan pan type shit.

Mentioned earlier, All Clad, d5[at least] is definitely oven safe, to 450 at least. Never had a need for a greater heat.

Misen, probably.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

I just replaced my pots and pans last week

After cooking with them for 5 days I can say I am happy with the set

Granite Stone Diamond Pro. 13 piece set
    Very non stick
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Ceramic pans are nice if they have a thickk bottom

But mostly I still use my thirty year old calphalon aluminum anodized
    . . .

Seconding the tramontina rec. excellent quality for the price.

Budget friendly quiver that’ll do everything:

2x 8” tramontina nonstick
    1x 14” of the same
    Lodge enameled cast iron (aka cheap le creuset alternative) Dutch oven and low version (I think they call it a large casserole? Awesome for searing and finishing in the oven, awesome for risotto and similar)

Cheap giant stock pot for pasta and soup

2 small all clad sauce pans which can be found cheap.

You can kinda do everything with that setup and not spend a ton.

I don't get clad stock pots and other pots that will be used for soups, boiling water, etc. Even heat distribution isnt an issue when the pot is full of water. The water distributes the heat. If it's a pot you're going to fry something in first, than yeah. Most of my pots are cheap SS.
    (I have a 6 qt All Clad pot that's basically a dutch oven with a long handle but I don't use it as a dutch oven since I got a red cast iron enameled dutch oven, because as we all know, red is better.)

I recenttly got a small set of triple clad Zwilling, nice stuff to use or look at

A $20 carbon steel wok from the local Asian grocery is a must have for me….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Bump - Does anyone have one of these “essential pans” or “chefs pans”?

They are like a mini flat bottomed wok or a small saute pan with sloped sides… saucier shaped but small.

They look interesting. Thinking about adding one to the arsenal…

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

They are like a mini flat bottomed wok or a small saute pan with sloped sides… saucier shaped but small.

I have a 2QT from All-Clad. I love it.

And if you need a nudge, they have another (seems like they've had a lot this year) "VIP Factory Event" going on. There are a couple of those pans on there now. It looks kinda shady, and you have to enter your email to proceed, but it's legit. I've ordered from them before and have never had an issue other than it can take some time to get your order.

https://homeandcooksales.com
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

I use my 3qt calphalon triply one a ton. It's a versatile shape that lends itself to multi step dishes where I'm reusing the same pot for multiple tasks.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't get clad stock pots and other pots that will be used for soups, boiling water, etc. Even heat distribution isnt an issue when the pot is full of water. The water distributes the heat. If it's a pot you're going to fry something in first, than yeah. Most of my pots are cheap SS.
    (I have a 6 qt All Clad pot that's basically a dutch oven with a long handle but I don't use it as a dutch oven since I got a red cast iron enameled dutch oven, because as we all know, red is better.)
    Yeah, its not a big deal. I suppose if you are searing somethign or sauteeing some vegetables before adding water it could be beneficial, but its not worth spending a bunch of money (and not worth adding a bunch of weight to something like a 12qt stock pot). They are also usually so big that heat won't lick up the sides from the burner like it does on a small pan, so a thick disc at the bottom is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I have a 2QT from All-Clad. I love it.

And if you need a nudge, they have another (seems like they've had a lot this year) "VIP Factory Event" going on. There are a couple of those pans on there now. It looks kinda shady, and you have to enter your email to proceed, but it's legit. I've ordered from them before and have never had an issue other than it can take some time to get your order.

https://homeandcooksales.com

This is the way to go.

For even better deals and a full inventory, watch Slickdeals (or get on the email list) as usually they post before the sale is announced to the public and have an extra discount code. Code for this current sale was OCTVIP10 for extra 10% off, but it appears to be dead now.

They are "second" quality, but I've bought a bunch of pans from them and never even been able to definitively tell what the problem was. Usually its something like a small scratch--no worse than what you would get on it after a month of use, but someone paying $200 for a pan at Williams Sonoma expects the pan to be pristine. Always cosmetic, anything that would affect cooking (like being out of round or the lamination failing) is enough for them to not sell via this sale.

I have been looking at getting one of those pans as well, saucier/essential. Anyone else besides cruiser have thoughts on how thick/responsive that should be? I have been eyeing the D5 on the all clad sale for a few days but can't get past polished stainless cookware. Probably worth the fingerprints for the steep discount.

RE expensive pots for boiling, I have a fissler 6liter that is used for many things, pasta, making a quick stock but also braising in the oven, carmalizing onions, etc. The extra heavy disk is so much nicer than a thin aluminum pot when I want to use it for anything besides boiling water.

Brushing stainless is pretty straightforward. On a pan you really just need a light brush, enough to knock out the shine without creating a million crud catchers.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

This is what I asked for for X-Mas. Pretty much the only thing I am missing.
    https://madeincookware.com/products/...-pan/3-5-quart
    Wife will love it- perfect indian gift, since I do all the cooking.

I personally think pots and pans should be bought as needed, since they all serve different purposes. I have yet to see a set that is perfect.
    I have a good mix of LeCreuset, Carroway, and All Clad. I also have a nice collection of antique cast iron 8's and 10's that I find at antique shops and bring back to life.
    The LeCreuset is my favorite.
    The Carroway is awesome non toxic non stick, but when you have a wife that insists on using metal utensils on a non stick, the non stick stops being very effective.
    The All Clad is a beater set that she can overheat, fuse eggs to, and scrape to hell with metal utensils. Of course, she always goes for the Carroway.

FWIW Americas Test Kitchen compared 3 ply and 5 ply All Clad and found no difference in performance.
    (As far as keeping stainless steel nice and shiny--ATK also tested and found that pans that were stained on the outside heated faster than nice clean ones. Of course on the show the pots and pans are immaculate--do they have people scrubbing for hours or do they use new stuff for every recipe--you know, like they use new balls every game in pro sports.)

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    This is what I asked for for X-Mas. Pretty much the only thing I am missing.
    https://madeincookware.com/products/...-pan/3-5-quart
    Wife will love it- perfect indian gift, since I do all the cooking.

I personally think pots and pans should be bought as needed, since they all serve different purposes. I have yet to see a set that is perfect.
    I have a good mix of LeCreuset, Carroway, and All Clad. I also have a nice collection of antique cast iron 8's and 10's that I find at antique shops and bring back to life.
    The LeCreuset is my favorite.
    The Carroway is awesome non toxic non stick, but when you have a wife that insists on using metal utensils on a non stick, the non stick stops being very effective.
    The All Clad is a beater set that she can overheat, fuse eggs to, and scrape to hell with metal utensils. Of course, she always goes for the Carroway.
    I just ordered a 5 qt Sauté Pan (calphalon 3ply SS is $90 on amzn).

I have a 3 qt. Love it. Use it all the time but it’s too small for some recipes. A 3 qt is like a 3-4 chicken thigh pan, 2-3 pork chops… perfect for cooking for two, but too small for anything larger….

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA