Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Depends whether you have a pot to piss in.
    More importantly, it depends on what kind of pot you.piss on... sativa, indica, hybrid? I suppose it depends on your mood.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    . I like the glass lids, it’s nice to see through.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    A watched pot never boils.

I got a pair of all-clad hard anodized non-stick pans a few years ago, and been pretty happy with them. The coating has held up well, and the pans have some heft to them to spread the heat well.

Would also recommend a good size stock pot in SS. In addition to the numerous uses it serves, it can be used for sous vide if you ever get one of those.

Basically I have a combination of cast iron and SS pots and pans. I do have one ceramic coated pan for certain uses, frying up hash browns most notably.

In addition I have a rice cooker, a crock pot and the sous vide device.
    watch out for snakes

I got this set as a wedding gift. Have since expanded on it quite a bit with other copper, stainless, cast iron, and carbon steel but I still use these pants everyday in the kitchen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Calphalon-C...w/264555422997
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Is copper difficult to clean (not in terms of scrubbing...but being very gentle with it)?

SB?....is ceramic non-stick? what about upkeep? Are you worried about scratching it?

Wife is asking to stay away from Non-stick, but still need a slippery surface. IMO...that leaves me with the choice of copper and ceramic.

Bought this a few months ago. Essentially it's Caphalon non-stick, but at a fraction of the price. This is hands down the best deal in cookware.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sign...100494015.html

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    Is copper difficult to clean (not in terms of scrubbing...but being very gentle with it)?

SB?....is ceramic non-stick? what about upkeep? Are you worried about scratching it?

Yes, as I understand it ceramic is intended to replace teflon non stick. So far it is very durable. You have to use it on med to low heat. No real special maintenance that I am aware of.

The only copper pan I have is a double ring Revere ware, its mainly SS with the copper cladding on the bottom. No special care there either. This one is a family hand me down and it is the large skillet so I do not have much call for using it.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    How so other than buying off brand bargain bin pots? Just hand wash and use plastic or wooden utensils and you're good to go for a long time.
    You can’t properly deglaze a non stick. If technique matters. I mostly agree with Root.

Egg pan(s) non stick. Every thing else stainless. My last 8” egg pan came from Costco. Cheap. I also have a 10” and 12” non stick for frittata and fish.

Teach your kids to let the pan warm before adding fats (butter, oils, etc) and you won’t need non-stick.

With teens, I would not consider nonstick to be the better choice as they are apt to use whatever spatula is closest.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I have a full calphalon set. The non-stick pans are garbage. The coating is way more fragile than cheaper pans I had in the past. The stainless pots and pans that came in the set are great. I like my big pasta boiler / strainer / steamer combo. I do like the set because the lids are interchangeable. I like the glass lids, it’s nice to see through.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    X2 for calphalpon. I have a full set that was actually handed down to me. Amazing cookware that is well made. Even the lids are strong and durable. They last a long time if you take care of them

I hand wash the copper stuff but there don't seem to be any particular restrictions in terms of cleaning other than not putting it in the dishwasher. That said, I don't use copper polish favoring, instead, to just let the patina accumulate. Just a blue scouring pad and some dawn inside and out.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Wife is asking to stay away from Non-stick, but still need a slippery surface. IMO...that leaves me with the choice of copper and ceramic.
    The cooking surface of copper pans is generally covered with something else, usually SS. You would only be cleaning copper on the outside. I use a plastic scrubber made of a bunch of individual plastic threads on all my pots and pans, regardless of what they're made of.

A large stock pot is a great idea. I have one big enough for a whole turkey carcass to fit into so I don't have to break up the turkey. I had cleaning up after thanksgiving.

One problem with nonstick and ss surfaces is that it doesn't sear well and doesn't tolerate high heat. Don't know about ceramic.
    Like Peruvian says heat the pan before adding fat, but also let the fat get hot before adding food. A chef I watched do a paella demonstration said wait for the oil to smoke. I sometimes do that. My paella still sucks, but it doesn't stick.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One problem with ....ss surfaces is that it doesn't sear well and doesn't tolerate high heat. .
    wut

You have two choices with copper. Just wash as usually and let it patina, or take 15 seconds and sprinkle Kleen King on the copper and gently rub it with a sponge. It will shine right to, no effort involved as long as you do it each time. It takes no more time then normal cleaning. I use it inside and out as it is a more effective cleaner then dish soap.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Wife told me to buy a new set, as our 9 yr old Anolon set is no longer "non-stick".
    Looking at sub $200
    Considering ceramic/copper...and will always wash any pot we get by hand.
    Need to be oven safe (prefer at least up to 400 degrees).

*will most likely buy from Amazon (for their easy return policy).
    https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Pots-P...kitchen&sr=1-4
    If your cookware isn't obviously gouged up from metal implements, it might be worthwhile contacting Anolon about warranty support: https://anolon.com/pages/warranty

Never heard anything about Analon's warranty, but I do know that Calphalon is pretty generous about replacing old cookware that is no longer non-stick as long as the surface is intact (i.e., no metal spatulas).

Personally I have switched to cast iron and stainless for almost everything. I'm not precious about the cast iron either - it gets scoured and washed with soap when it needs it (then put on a hot burner to dry and wiped with some canola oil). Even with my lazy approach to seasoning, I find a hot cast iron+butter works fine for doing eggs. It's not as slippery as a new Teflon pan, but I'm not scared of using it over high heat -- good tradeoff in my book.
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 12-09-2019 at 12:32 PM.

eggs in cast iron the key is enough oil/grease and higher heat

I don't wash the cast iron very much, instead I put it under the broiler to burn everything off and season the pan

I make fritta by throwing all the leftovers/eggs/cheese in the pan, crank the broiler to 11, when the cheese starts to smoke a LITTLE the fritta is done so once you get the frittata out put that pan back under the broiler and every thing will burn off leaving you a clean surface
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

BTW - When I say copper...this is what I'm thinking
    Not that expensive stuff hanging from ceiling racks.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.49.39 PM.png
Views: 392
Size:  263.6 KB
    Last edited by gatorboy; 12-09-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Dunno if they still carry it, but Costco used to have Kirkland-brand (probably Calphalon inside?) SS set. Set has been bombproof, from my experience.

And despite some old-man claims, SS sears and tolerates high heat just fine.

Make sure whatever SS you get is *heavy*...

I have yet to meet a non stick pan that my wife could not destroy. Didn't matter how expensive it was. They are all junk, IMHO. I finally trained her how to use cast iron. We now have a small assortment of cast iron pots and pans in a variety of sizes and that is all we use. HTH.

Le Creuset pots for sure.
    Not sure about their pans.
    Heavy as hell, and prolly over $200 for 1, but will last several people's lifetimes.

Cast iron pan for stick-free frying and my mom's old Revere Ware (SS, copper bottom) from the 60s for everything else, which goes in the dishwasher. 50 years of daily cooking, you can't kill that stuff!

(I don't make scrambled eggs, I guess I could see a coated pan for that- seems about the only thing that will stick to cast iron. Fried eggs don't stick.)

just realized this is ceramic...not copper.

BTW - When I say copper...this is what I'm thinking
    Not that expensive stuff hanging from ceiling racks.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.49.39 PM.png
Views: 392
Size:  263.6 KB

just realized this is ceramic...not copper.
    Yeah - actual copper cooking surfaces would be bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I only cook in Arctyrx
    The new boil-in-the-bib with the sous vide pocket is selling like hotcakes.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang