Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowCreekChad View Post
    Check Blister. They reviewed the M102 and the Mindbender 99Ti.
    Thanks, checked it out. Wondering if anyone here has skied both ?

Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

My 184 99Tiís are supposed to arrive by Thursday. Hoping lifts stay open for me to get out on them next weekend. Iíll be able to give a comparison vs the 184 M102 at that point.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Beware the Blister review on the M102... they have everything right regarding the ski IMHO, but the review seems to get hung up in the reviewer's internal debate and semantics of the word "quick" and they end up making the M102 seem more demanding than it is. Myself, and others here, do not find it to be demanding. It likes to be driven, and it performs, but it is quite forgiving and maneuverable. I just spent a week on mine at Revelstoke, which was a great place to really check them out with the diversity of terrain and differing climate from top to bottom of that particular mountain... open bowls with wind effected powder up top, trees with lighter snow in the middle, good firm refrozen groomers in the middle, and slush at the bottom. The Mantra 102 never really felt out of place anywhere for me. Great directional travel ski! Is it playful, no. Does it rip, yes.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by singlecross; 03-13-2020 at 04:14 PM.

I really want a pair but already have bonafides and too many other 108 skis with metal. Was able to convince a buddy to buy a demo set for his new ski though which helps my urge somewhat

Thanks Singlecross - yeah, it was hard to get a sense from just the Blisters reviews of each. Leaning more towards the Mantras at this point, though they are ~$85 USD more on Corbett's - trying to decide if the difference between the two skis is worth that...should decide now before one gets sold out...

After reading this thread I almost broke down and bought the single pair of 184 M102s being discounted on the wall at my local shop, but couldnít pass up a killer deal on a pair of mint used 184 M4s. Iíve been on the lightweight carbon DPS bandwagon for a few years now, and am enjoying rediscovering the joys of damp metal skis.

M4s? or M5s?

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    First day on a Mantra 102 in 184. All kinds of snow from blank ice to powder. Those are my impressions:

1) Itís an excellent ski but it has in this length for me definitely a lower top end than OG Cochise in 193, OG Bodacious in 186, OG metal Katana in 191, Kšstle BMX 105 HP in 189 and Faction Dictator 4.0 in 192, all of them I still own or recently owned.
    2) Thus itĎs not some ballistic missile as Blister and some other reports suggest. In fact itís very pivoty and quite easy to ski. Reminds me pretty much of my Rustler 11 in terms of accessibility. As with OG metal Katana and OG Cochise any turn shape is possible but with the Mantra you get more energy from the turn than from those both.
    3) If youíre used to more centered mounts go at least 1 or 2 cm forward. The tail is softer than expected and provides not much support, much less than OG Bodacious (with a very similar mount point) or OG metal Katana. The ski responds very well to a more centered stance and I assume going +2 would make it better balanced.
    4) If youíre a strong skier donít listen to Blister and downsize if between the sizes. I really wish I had gone 191 instead of 184. Maybe it gets better if I remount the binding at +1.5 or +2.

In summary: nice but not a variable conditions charger revelation which for I hoped. Gonna keep my OG metal Katanas as there is still no replacement in sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    I'm 188 cm and 80kg... on the 191s.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    After a quick 2-hour jaunt on the 184 this past weekend, I saw no need to deviate from the suggested mount point, however, that is a very limited sample size. Also, other than when I was in tight trees, I thought I could size up.

Weird how the ski hand flexes quite stiff, but doesnít ski as stiff as one would think, at least IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Me 6 ft, 220. My current favorite ski in the quiver is a 189 ON3P BG and I am searching for a hard snow ski I like as much.

Had my first day on the 191 mounted +1 from recommended with Pivot 14s this past weekend on typically awful east coast snow. Short story - the Mantras delivered and I'm super happy with the purchase. +1 doesn't cause the ski to explode and could help if you're both bad at landing airs and too old to heal quickly if you fuck up. 191 is very manageable if you're tall and sort of fat.

Started the day off with some fairly open groomers to see if I could find the speed limit. After several laps it became clear to me that the speed limit on groomers is faster than I'm willing to ski if there could be other people in front of me. Vertical just disappeared. The ski is happiest at speed, but once it's at speed they're surprisingly easy to work into a variety of turn shapes and styles. Overall, the groomer performance is as good as any all mountain ski I've ever used and better than most. For example, the Mantras did not feel appreciably worse than (at least my current memory of) a Kastle MX88 which is a much more one dimensional tool.

I started looking for bumps to see how the Mantra would handle them due to the mass and length. I wasn't able to find any tight, fall line bumps. The icy, scraped off wide bumps I was able to find confirmed that the Mantra has excellent edge hold on ice, but I am reserving judgement on how it does in tighter terrain and if anyone cares I can update later.

Finished the day up by hitting some kickers in the park and around the hill. To state the blindingly obvious, these are not park skis and I can't imagine why anyone would choose to use them if they wanted to land switch a bunch. That said, the Mantras do offer a nice stable platform that is fairly forgiving of back seat landings mounted +1.

One thing I would mention is that once or twice during the day I did get something like the weird hookiness singlecross described in his review. I attributed the behavior to operator error or something about the factory tune because I couldn't get it to replicate consistently but I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    Thanks for the help on sizing folks. I'm 182cm, 88kg (6', ~195#) - 184 looked short in the shop, but 191s for metal layup hard snow skis sounded big. Looking to replace 188 PBJs. Happy on 190 Bibbys, generally don't like anything below 185 - usually my sweet spot is 187-192. Will probably mount +1. My local shop has em for $400. Guess it's early Christmas!

Now the really difficult question - what color P18s????

Gold.

My 184ís finally arrived yesterday. IF Timberline re-opens, I might actually get them on snow!! (I know, big IF there).

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...