Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    MVW tail isn't very stiff, maybe loading it trying to stabilize the ski flexed the tail enough to lift the tips? Something fully cambered and heavier with lots of metal like an MX88/98 or Monster would feel a lot more substantial at speed.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-04-2020 at 08:35 AM.

yeah - something along those lines was probably what happened. Or me getting a bit back seat and then being surprised by tails that did not provide the amount of support that I was expecting. It is not like I took a dive or lost my confidence in the skis - it was just a bit odd. Thanks for chiming in though.

I must admit to having spent a lot of time and effort researching narrower skis this week. End result? I impulse bougth a pair of 122mm wide pow skis (SGN UrRakkar), one of the softest skis I know of when hand flexing. So Operation Acquisition of Slayer of Feeble Pistes has gotten off to a pretty alternative start - these will be mediocre at best on anything sligthly firm.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    yeah - something along those lines was probably what happened. Or me getting a bit back seat and then being surprised by tails that did not provide the amount of support that I was expecting. It is not like I took a dive or lost my confidence in the skis - it was just a bit odd. Thanks for chiming in though.

I must admit to having spent a lot of time and effort researching narrower skis this week. End result? I impulse bougth a pair of 122mm wide pow skis (SGN UrRakkar), one of the softest skis I know of when hand flexing. So Operation Acquisition of Slayer of Feeble Pistes has gotten off to a pretty alternative start - these will be mediocre at best on anything sligthly firm.
    #stayoutofthebackseat

#stayinthebackcountry
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 09-04-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: jus'teasin' dude, lmao @ yer impulse buy...

This place is falling apart, eight pages about mounting and not one innuendo like I like to mount from behind.

How does this m102 compare to the M4 (or whatever- you know, the 100 underfoot, made from 14/15-17/18, flat underfoot, gentle rocker one that i absolutely love and am on pair # 2 in 184 of)?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Newer sidecuts make it easier to turn a variety of shapes. Titanal frame provide a more enjoyable flex and energy IMO. Pivots more easily. Burlier.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2020 Manta 102 in 177 or 184 on eBay with Marker Griffon ID bindings for $649. Decent deal.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    2020 Manta 102 in 177 or 184 on eBay with Marker Griffon ID bindings for $649. Decent deal.
    Or pay $579 USD for the same package directly from Corbett’s...
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Or pay $579 USD for the same package directly from Corbett’s...
    Free shipping and mounting?

Doesn't look like it. I'd rather keep the $$ on this side of the border anyway.
    Last edited by yeahman; 09-14-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Free shipping but not mounting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

Free shipping and mount your own stuff...hell, my kids mount their own skis and have since they started...

Thank god you buy your made in China, German brand skis from the US of FKNA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    Thank god you buy your made in China, German brand skis from the US of FKNA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ooooh, good one.

Powder 7 has some good deals. Some 191s too.

https://www.powder7.com/Volkl-Mantra-102-Skis/for-sale

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I do not know if they ship across the pond, but the good folks over at Sport Bittl have a pretty sensational deal for Mantra102s (all sizes) at 57% off:
    https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/voelk...0::162208.html

Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

One of the most underrated skis getting dumped for a graphics change that still remains blah in ‘21

Proof that graphics matter.

If the M102 looked like the art the engineers put into it it would be a different story.

The ugliest, and the most versatile ski of my life.

“If they don’t find you handsome, they better find you handy.”

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    One of the most underrated skis getting dumped for a graphics change that still remains blah in ‘21

Proof that graphics matter.

If the M102 looked like the art the engineers put into it it would be a different story.

The ugliest, and the most versatile ski of my life.

“If they don’t find you handsome, they better find you handy.”
    You seem to have some of the most time on them. Did you ever ski gen4? Fondled the 102 in store. Worried that no longer having the flat underfoot will make them resistant to an easy pivot and smear. Love that about the gen4
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Never skied any Mantra before this one.

They are super easy to pivot, and ski in general, though.

I haven’t had them in deep pow in the forest though. That’s the true pivotability test to me where trees dictate that a specific turn shape must be created.

No snow last year in Japan. Just mank and groomers— the M102’s element.

Volklpowdermaniac - I wrote this way back on page 2 as my comparison of older versions. The M102 does what you're looking for better than any version before it.

For background my Mantra experience started with the 2007 iteration when I was looking for something to replace the venerable 2005 Explosiv maroon Buddha. I've also had the 2013 Mantra, and currently own the 2016 as well as the 2019 V-Werks versions. All iterations of my Mantras were 191's (although i did mistakenly buy a 184 that I didn't keep). FWIW I've also had multiple iterations of Gotamas, and Katanas (still my fav) so I'm quite familiar with the Volkl 'recipe'. I don't own an M5 but skied on them several times, and while they seem to be the most versatile iteration they still felt similar & familiar. That said, maybe I'm transferring too much old experience on the M5 ... but I'm not buying a pair to find out.

Anyway, I liked all of them, but would say the older generations felt like fat GS race skis whereas the more recent generations with camber & rocker felt slightly more playful, but still quite directional. The 102 however feels both directional and pivoty - it goes from railing GS turns like the older versions to smearing/pivoting, which none of the other versions I've been on did with such ease. That's not to say that they'll pivot like a clown-shoe-rockered ski, but they are definitely more versatile in that regard than any other Mantra I've been on. They also plow through chop & chunder with aplomb similar to old Katanas (haven't been on a Confession) - again more so than any other Mantra I've been on.

Which brings me full circle - this thing is not a Mantra.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    Volklpowdermaniac - I wrote this way back on page 2 as my comparison of older versions. The M102 does what you're looking for better than any version before it.

For background my Mantra experience started with the 2007 iteration when I was looking for something to replace the venerable 2005 Explosiv maroon Buddha. I've also had the 2013 Mantra, and currently own the 2016 as well as the 2019 V-Werks versions. All iterations of my Mantras were 191's (although i did mistakenly buy a 184 that I didn't keep). FWIW I've also had multiple iterations of Gotamas, and Katanas (still my fav) so I'm quite familiar with the Volkl 'recipe'. I don't own an M5 but skied on them several times, and while they seem to be the most versatile iteration they still felt similar & familiar. That said, maybe I'm transferring too much old experience on the M5 ... but I'm not buying a pair to find out.

Anyway, I liked all of them, but would say the older generations felt like fat GS race skis whereas the more recent generations with camber & rocker felt slightly more playful, but still quite directional. The 102 however feels both directional and pivoty - it goes from railing GS turns like the older versions to smearing/pivoting, which none of the other versions I've been on did with such ease. That's not to say that they'll pivot like a clown-shoe-rockered ski, but they are definitely more versatile in that regard than any other Mantra I've been on. They also plow through chop & chunder with aplomb similar to old Katanas (haven't been on a Confession) - again more so than any other Mantra I've been on.

Which brings me full circle - this thing is not a Mantra.
    I’ve only spent a few hours on a pair of 184 M102’s but have owned Gen 2 and Gen 4 Mantras as well as Several Gotama and Katana models. Very much agree with this review/perspective. The M102 skis like a Mantra-Gotama hybrid, with a surprising amount of looseness in deeper, variable conditions. It completely blew me away. I bought a pair of 184’s I am anxious to get on snow.

How does the M102 handle choppy, chunky, skied out, wet snow, like what you see a lot in Cali, Oregon, Washington resorts a few hours after it stops snowing?

Considering picking up a pair, will mount with Pivots as usual.
    Anybody have Pivots on them and care to comment on brake widths? For 102 I guess both 95 and 115 will be fine, especially since they don't have to much sidecut, so they shouldn't get much wider behind the mount point.
    And yes, I know they'll bend out nicely, but still. Guess I'm just postponing the inevitable purchase

Quote Originally Posted by IrieIbex View Post
    How does the M102 handle choppy, chunky, skied out, wet snow, like what you see a lot in Cali, Oregon, Washington resorts a few hours after it stops snowing?
    From my earlier post - "... They also plow through chop & chunder with aplomb similar to old Katanas (haven't been on a Confession) - again more so than any other Mantra I've been on."

They're awesome so of course I sold them. haha .. because I bought the the new Katana that has the same exact construction except wider at 108mm. Schwing!
    Who cares how the crow flies

I’m trying to decide on some pups from this new Volkl litter.

Looking at M102, K108 and the blaze in either 94 or 106.

I live in New England, blaze will get a tech binding, the burlier pup will be alpine.

You can pick two, which ones get adopted?

Oh and I have the new Kendo too. Never owned a Volkl before but I’m going in deep this season.