Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Results 176 to 197 of 197
  1. #176
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,759
    MVW tail isn't very stiff, maybe loading it trying to stabilize the ski flexed the tail enough to lift the tips? Something fully cambered and heavier with lots of metal like an MX88/98 or Monster would feel a lot more substantial at speed.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-04-2020 at 08:35 AM.

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    832
    yeah - something along those lines was probably what happened. Or me getting a bit back seat and then being surprised by tails that did not provide the amount of support that I was expecting. It is not like I took a dive or lost my confidence in the skis - it was just a bit odd. Thanks for chiming in though.

    I must admit to having spent a lot of time and effort researching narrower skis this week. End result? I impulse bougth a pair of 122mm wide pow skis (SGN UrRakkar), one of the softest skis I know of when hand flexing. So Operation Acquisition of Slayer of Feeble Pistes has gotten off to a pretty alternative start - these will be mediocre at best on anything sligthly firm.

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    yeah - something along those lines was probably what happened. Or me getting a bit back seat and then being surprised by tails that did not provide the amount of support that I was expecting. It is not like I took a dive or lost my confidence in the skis - it was just a bit odd. Thanks for chiming in though.

    I must admit to having spent a lot of time and effort researching narrower skis this week. End result? I impulse bougth a pair of 122mm wide pow skis (SGN UrRakkar), one of the softest skis I know of when hand flexing. So Operation Acquisition of Slayer of Feeble Pistes has gotten off to a pretty alternative start - these will be mediocre at best on anything sligthly firm.
    #stayoutofthebackseat

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    1,989
    #stayinthebackcountry
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 09-04-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: jus'teasin' dude, lmao @ yer impulse buy...

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    345
    This place is falling apart, eight pages about mounting and not one innuendo like I like to mount from behind.

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,947
    How does this m102 compare to the M4 (or whatever- you know, the 100 underfoot, made from 14/15-17/18, flat underfoot, gentle rocker one that i absolutely love and am on pair # 2 in 184 of)?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

    fuck that noise.

    gmen.

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    105
    Newer sidecuts make it easier to turn a variety of shapes. Titanal frame provide a more enjoyable flex and energy IMO. Pivots more easily. Burlier.

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The 8th best place in the LBP
    Posts
    3,472
    2020 Manta 102 in 177 or 184 on eBay with Marker Griffon ID bindings for $649. Decent deal.

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    2020 Manta 102 in 177 or 184 on eBay with Marker Griffon ID bindings for $649. Decent deal.
    Or pay $579 USD for the same package directly from Corbettís...
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The 8th best place in the LBP
    Posts
    3,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Or pay $579 USD for the same package directly from Corbett’s...
    Free shipping and mounting?

    Doesn't look like it. I'd rather keep the $$ on this side of the border anyway.
    Last edited by yeahman; 09-14-2020 at 07:08 PM.

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Masshole
    Posts
    1,933
    Free shipping but not mounting.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,289

    Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Free shipping and mounting?

    Doesn't look like it. I'd rather keep the $$ on this side of the border anyway.
    Free shipping and mount your own stuff...hell, my kids mount their own skis and have since they started...
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Free shipping and mounting?

    Doesn't look like it. I'd rather keep the $$ on this side of the border anyway.
    Thank god you buy your made in China, German brand skis from the US of FKNA


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The 8th best place in the LBP
    Posts
    3,472
    Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    Thank god you buy your made in China, German brand skis from the US of FKNA


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ooooh, good one.

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    105
    Powder 7 has some good deals. Some 191s too.

    https://www.powder7.com/Volkl-Mantra-102-Skis/for-sale


    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    832
    I do not know if they ship across the pond, but the good folks over at Sport Bittl have a pretty sensational deal for Mantra102s (all sizes) at 57% off:
    https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/voelk...0::162208.html

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,512

    Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

    One of the most underrated skis getting dumped for a graphics change that still remains blah in Ď21

    Proof that graphics matter.

    If the M102 looked like the art the engineers put into it it would be a different story.

    The ugliest, and the most versatile ski of my life.

    ďIf they donít find you handsome, they better find you handy.Ē

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    One of the most underrated skis getting dumped for a graphics change that still remains blah in ‘21

    Proof that graphics matter.

    If the M102 looked like the art the engineers put into it it would be a different story.

    The ugliest, and the most versatile ski of my life.

    “If they don’t find you handsome, they better find you handy.”
    You seem to have some of the most time on them. Did you ever ski gen4? Fondled the 102 in store. Worried that no longer having the flat underfoot will make them resistant to an easy pivot and smear. Love that about the gen4
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

    fuck that noise.

    gmen.

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,512
    Never skied any Mantra before this one.

    They are super easy to pivot, and ski in general, though.

    I havenít had them in deep pow in the forest though. Thatís the true pivotability test to me where trees dictate that a specific turn shape must be created.

    No snow last year in Japan. Just mank and groomersó the M102ís element.

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    location location location
    Posts
    600
    Volklpowdermaniac - I wrote this way back on page 2 as my comparison of older versions. The M102 does what you're looking for better than any version before it.

    For background my Mantra experience started with the 2007 iteration when I was looking for something to replace the venerable 2005 Explosiv maroon Buddha. I've also had the 2013 Mantra, and currently own the 2016 as well as the 2019 V-Werks versions. All iterations of my Mantras were 191's (although i did mistakenly buy a 184 that I didn't keep). FWIW I've also had multiple iterations of Gotamas, and Katanas (still my fav) so I'm quite familiar with the Volkl 'recipe'. I don't own an M5 but skied on them several times, and while they seem to be the most versatile iteration they still felt similar & familiar. That said, maybe I'm transferring too much old experience on the M5 ... but I'm not buying a pair to find out.

    Anyway, I liked all of them, but would say the older generations felt like fat GS race skis whereas the more recent generations with camber & rocker felt slightly more playful, but still quite directional. The 102 however feels both directional and pivoty - it goes from railing GS turns like the older versions to smearing/pivoting, which none of the other versions I've been on did with such ease. That's not to say that they'll pivot like a clown-shoe-rockered ski, but they are definitely more versatile in that regard than any other Mantra I've been on. They also plow through chop & chunder with aplomb similar to old Katanas (haven't been on a Confession) - again more so than any other Mantra I've been on.

    Which brings me full circle - this thing is not a Mantra.
    Who cares how the crow flies

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    Volklpowdermaniac - I wrote this way back on page 2 as my comparison of older versions. The M102 does what you're looking for better than any version before it.

    For background my Mantra experience started with the 2007 iteration when I was looking for something to replace the venerable 2005 Explosiv maroon Buddha. I've also had the 2013 Mantra, and currently own the 2016 as well as the 2019 V-Werks versions. All iterations of my Mantras were 191's (although i did mistakenly buy a 184 that I didn't keep). FWIW I've also had multiple iterations of Gotamas, and Katanas (still my fav) so I'm quite familiar with the Volkl 'recipe'. I don't own an M5 but skied on them several times, and while they seem to be the most versatile iteration they still felt similar & familiar. That said, maybe I'm transferring too much old experience on the M5 ... but I'm not buying a pair to find out.

    Anyway, I liked all of them, but would say the older generations felt like fat GS race skis whereas the more recent generations with camber & rocker felt slightly more playful, but still quite directional. The 102 however feels both directional and pivoty - it goes from railing GS turns like the older versions to smearing/pivoting, which none of the other versions I've been on did with such ease. That's not to say that they'll pivot like a clown-shoe-rockered ski, but they are definitely more versatile in that regard than any other Mantra I've been on. They also plow through chop & chunder with aplomb similar to old Katanas (haven't been on a Confession) - again more so than any other Mantra I've been on.

    Which brings me full circle - this thing is not a Mantra.
    Iíve only spent a few hours on a pair of 184 M102ís but have owned Gen 2 and Gen 4 Mantras as well as Several Gotama and Katana models. Very much agree with this review/perspective. The M102 skis like a Mantra-Gotama hybrid, with a surprising amount of looseness in deeper, variable conditions. It completely blew me away. I bought a pair of 184ís I am anxious to get on snow.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    29
    How does the M102 handle choppy, chunky, skied out, wet snow, like what you see a lot in Cali, Oregon, Washington resorts a few hours after it stops snowing?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •