Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Why did they make both the 102 & the (96 underfoot) M5?

I’ve got the 2020 M5, chose it over the 102 mostly because my quiver tends to be wide and was looking for a narrower ski in this realm. But they’re millimeters apart...6mm diff underfoot?
    That's kinda what I wonder too. If it were 105 or 108 I would feel like I had more of a reason to buy it, but being so close to the M5 width I just can't justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That's kinda what I wonder too. If it were 105 or 108 I would feel like I had more of a reason to buy it, but being so close to the M5 width I just can't justify it.
    It has a pintail shape (like previous mantras) with a 140mm tip. That tip is as wide or wider than most 108mm skis... A 108mm mantra would have a massive tip...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I don't have an M5 (96mm). And I asked the same question last year-- Why two Mantras millimeters apart?

My gut was telling me Volkl was trying to figure the ski out themselves. The 102 was simply a trial with the 3D sidecut.

But now I'm not so sure this trial is any different from their whole line being a trial.

I have no reason to consider an M5. This ski just replaced an 84 waisted double-titanium full camber groomer zoomer (Nordica Jet Fuel.)

Again-- The Mantra 102 is the new Gotama. The Mantra (M5) doesn't need to exist now that the Gotama has metal and tip/tail rocker with a ripping sidecut.

Or-- it should have been called the M6.

That said-- the women's freeride world qualifier in Japan was won on the M5 while the 102 existed in her quiver and never got skied.

Perhaps we're overthinking it. There is a need for two skis. People are different.

You guys are funny. IMO it’s all branding and it’s all about taking back sales from the Nordica Enforcer line.

The Mantra has been the best selling Volkl ski of recent memory. However, those who bought and loved it a decades ago are all older, too. Give them a ski that feels like the old Mantra but skis a little easier. Then follow suit like Nordica and reuse the name with different waist widths (Enforcer 93 and Enforcer 100 vs Mantra M5 and Mantra 102). Sell the wider ones out west and the narrow ones back east. Ski companies are in to selling units.

Also, why is there such a fixation about the102 being the Gotama? The Gotama never had metal and always had a twin. It was more of freestyle big-mountain ski with backbone. If anything, the Mantra 102 is the new Explosive.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

102 has a different sidecut profile than the m5 no?

The m5 feels so stuck in one turn radius, is the 102 better?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    If anything, the Mantra 102 is the new Explosive.
    If only...

It seems I'm outnumbered in the Gotama vs Explosive re-naming consensus. And I'll take the loss so long as we can all agree that naming the 102 a Mantra was a mistake.

I think it's funny that we care enough about the name at all to even be discussing it. I guess that means we all agree the ski is a ripper and deserves higher accolades than being part of a series.

It does make you wonder why names of successful products aren’t carried forward. I’ve heard product managers from outdoor companies discuss the challenges with finding unique names for products and avoiding trademark issues.

Why does volkl drop the names of some of their successful products; shiro, gotama, explosiv and replace them with new names; mantra 102, 100eight, confession?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    102 has a different sidecut profile than the m5 no?

The m5 feels so stuck in one turn radius, is the 102 better?
    Absolutely. It skis nothing like the M5 or previous versions.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    It skis nothing like the M5
    My first reaction is that’s an exaggeration
    But
    Who the fuck am I? I haven’t ridden the 102...

Gonna have to find a way to A/B them this season...

Absolutely. It skis nothing like the M5 or previous versions.
    What does this mean? I haven't skied either the 102 or M5 but I'm getting stoked on the 102 from this thread.

Is the 102 "just" more soft snow biased or is it also chargier?

As far as I understand, it’s got slight geometry differences, incl sidecut, but the construction is the same
    It’s possible the geometry makes all the difference...which would make sense for releasing the two next to each other

Could also easily be the case wider is more inherently stable because same construction plus wider made it stiffer? I don't know though.

Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Could also easily be the case wider is more inherently stable because same construction plus wider made it stiffer? I don't know though.
    No, wider with same construction would not be stiffer in a plane that matters to skiing (that stiffness would be resisting bending the ski sideways...like left/right

Nevertheless, subtle differences could be very real skiability issues...

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    No, wider with same construction would not be stiffer in a plane that matters to skiing (that stiffness would be resisting bending the ski sideways...like left/right

Nevertheless, subtle differences could be very real skiability issues...
    Maybe this is a subtle difference but I’d think they would be longitudinally stiffer just because you’re bending more material. Maybe not though?

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    What does this mean? I haven't skied either the 102 or M5 but I'm getting stoked on the 102 from this thread.

Is the 102 "just" more soft snow biased or is it also chargier?
    I thought I waxed poetically on this subject, but after re-reading my comments apparently I didn't provide much at all. Keep in mind I started this thread to ask where folks were mounting this thing as compared to older versions and other Volkl models because I was fearful they would behave as notoriously directional as say Katanas are.

For background my Mantra experience started with the 2007 iteration when I was looking for something to replace the venerable 2005 Explosiv maroon Buddha. I've also had the 2013 Mantra, and currently own the 2016 as well as the 2019 V-Werks versions. All iterations of my Mantras were 191's (although i did mistakenly buy a 184 that was a mistake). FWIW I've also had multiple iterations of Gotamas, and Katanas (still my fav) so I'm quite familiar with the Volkl 'recipe'. I don't own an M5 but skied on them several times, and while they seem to be the most versatile iteration they still felt similar & familiar. That said, maybe I'm transferring too much old experience on the M5 ... but I'm not buying a pair to find out.

Anyway, I liked all of them, but would say the older generations felt like fat GS race skis whereas the more recent generations with camber & rocker felt slightly more playful, but still quite directional. The 102 however feels both directional and pivoty - it goes from railing GS turns like the older versions to smearing/pivoting, which none of the other versions I've been on did with such ease. That's not to say that they'll pivot like a clown-shoe-rockered ski, but they are definitely more versatile in that regard than any other Mantra I've been on. They also plow through chop & chunder with aplomb similar to old Katanas (haven't been on a Confession) - again more so than any other Mantra I've been on.

Which brings me full circle - this thing is not a Mantra.
    Who cares how the crow flies

The 102 however feels both directional and pivoty - it goes from railing GS turns like the older versions to smearing/pivoting, which none of the other versions I've been on did with such ease.
    This. When other reviewers are talking about versatility, I think they are referring to how the 102 bridges the spectrum between carving and pivoting. It's kind of mind-blowing.

Add an ability to float and you'd have the coveted ski everyone is trying to make.

Blister called this a Comp Ski.
    I'll take it a step further-- This is the ski I wish I had on my feet when I was competing.
    Or-- this ski makes me want to compete again.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-04-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Any opinions on how the M5 and 102 compare to the FX95HP?

I have been skiing the 191 102s and am in love with them. I thought the M5s were meh for what I was looking for.

New sidecut is great, perfect flex, good pop for a damp ski, never wished I'd sized down.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    I have been skiing the 191 102s and am in love with them. I thought the M5s were meh for what I was looking for.

New sidecut is great, perfect flex, good pop for a damp ski, never wished I'd sized down.

I trust your opinion probably the most on this forum, gotta get on this ski now.
    What else are you skiing this year?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Any opinions on how the M5 and 102 compare to the FX95HP?
    +1

I'd like to hear more.

I thought I waxed poetically on this subject, but after re-reading my comments apparently I didn't provide much at all. Keep in mind I started this thread to ask where folks were mounting this thing as compared to older versions and other Volkl models because I was fearful they would behave as notoriously directional as say Katanas are.

For background my Mantra experience started with the 2007 iteration when I was looking for something to replace the venerable 2005 Explosiv maroon Buddha. I've also had the 2013 Mantra, and currently own the 2016 as well as the 2019 V-Werks versions. All iterations of my Mantras were 191's (although i did mistakenly buy a 184 that was a mistake). FWIW I've also had multiple iterations of Gotamas, and Katanas (still my fav) so I'm quite familiar with the Volkl 'recipe'. I don't own an M5 but skied on them several times, and while they seem to be the most versatile iteration they still felt similar & familiar. That said, maybe I'm transferring too much old experience on the M5 ... but I'm not buying a pair to find out.

Anyway, I liked all of them, but would say the older generations felt like fat GS race skis whereas the more recent generations with camber & rocker felt slightly more playful, but still quite directional. The 102 however feels both directional and pivoty - it goes from railing GS turns like the older versions to smearing/pivoting, which none of the other versions I've been on did with such ease. That's not to say that they'll pivot like a clown-shoe-rockered ski, but they are definitely more versatile in that regard than any other Mantra I've been on. They also plow through chop & chunder with aplomb similar to old Katanas (haven't been on a Confession) - again more so than any other Mantra I've been on.

Which brings me full circle - this thing is not a Mantra.
    I still ski the metal Katanas {scored a pair with 10 days on them} and the vwerks Katanas for backcountry.

The 102 has a pretty wide tip.
    Does it power thru day old cut up powder as well as the Katana?

And how about in bumps?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I trust your opinion probably the most on this forum, gotta get on this ski now.
    What else are you skiing this year?
    So far the Mantra 102s, some new Pro Riders, and the 189 metal Wren 108 with a smidge of extra carbon.

Pro Riders are some well documented next level shit that while somewhat impractical at times are just unbelievable skis. Ski them before others and it's like swinging three louisville sluggers together in the on deck circle. When you get on anything else they seem relatively quaint by comparison.

189 Wren 108 Tis have been a real handful for me in some conditions like firmer faster snow and I haven't fully clicked with them yet. Hard to get them around at times and can't just roll them into a carve and drive them like the PRs and Mantras because of that rocker. Been surfing them onto their edges and holding on. Left me feeling a bit defeated at times but I guess that's the kind of challenge I've been asking for since losing my mind and buying too many skis.

102 Mantras give me all of the energy I wanted from the Cochise but can't coax out of them, especially in the tail. Mantras feel like like I can pop around. The shovels are also beasts but most impressive to me is a really enjoyable flex. I'd call them a sexier Cochise but that seems offensive to both of them.

Bry -
    Fucking awesome. Sounds like a quiver that needs to be shares in the quiver thread. Always love the thoughts you share, thanks!

Yeah, these sound like skis I need to try. Gonna see if I can get a demo lined up.

Edit: Hey - one question. It sounds like the Mantra 102 is a bit stronger on edge than the Wrens (or at least easier to get on edge). Am I reading you right on that?

Also fuck the demo, think I’m jumping in.
    Last edited by DumbIdeasOnly; 01-04-2020 at 10:46 AM.