Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Some skis are just intuitive to ski. My 5'6 135lb girlfriend skied my 188 Husume's(a 2400gram ski with a strong flat tail) for two full days at baker a few weeks ago. She loved them so much she bought a pair of 181s... Does she have shorter skis, yes, do I have shorter skis, yes, but we all buy lots of skis for distinct feelings in distinct conditions. We both like the feeling of a long Husume for certain conditions but also enjoy short skinny SL skis....

Nothing matters except for whether or not you are enjoying the feeling you are having on snow.

Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    I've had mine in a good amount of deep of late last week off the top in whistler and blackcomb thanks to a lot of little refreshes all week, cold temps and a ton of wind. They are great. To me. Again, if you want to ski them unthinkingly in such conditions (ie some wide floppy rocker) these are not that ski. You still need to ski them.

The are better than great on groomers.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly above.

First off....Whistler has been great recently. Sorry banditman!

The M102s are better than great on groomers.

And great everywhere else....if you ski them.
    I’m coming off years of standing straight up on 122mm waisted, rockered Faction Candide 5.0s. You could ski those unthinkingly.

This year most of my 30+ days have been on Enforcer 104s, R11s and the M102s. Of those three skis the M102 requires the most thinking and most input and the least lazy approach. I like that I have to ski them....but also it’s nice to go back to the E104 and R11s some days too. I find the E104s and R11s damp and stable enough, but really easy to ski.

Btw if my wife were to buy M102s we would get her a Secret/M102 in a 170cm. I skied bigger skis (185cm) for years and recently realized I’m a 180cm based on my height/weight.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-02-2021 at 12:44 AM.

Bandit man got it. This year I have 50+ days. Last year about 10. This year I could ski the m102 in any length in any condition better than I could ski any ski last year, much less the m102. Not everyone skis all day every day. Maybe I’m just not 19 anymore - but I’ve been humbled too many times skiing on better skis with better gear, and the key to me is get healthy, stay in shape, and have fun. As Kai jones says - he likes skiing because it makes him feel like he can fly. Doesn’t matter to me if I’m flying on 177s or 191s, or my 15 year old 1080s, as long as I’m having fun.

On the other hand, fuck it give me my 191102s lol. Man I fuckin love skiing.

Gone
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prsboogie; 03-09-2021 at 03:45 PM.
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Found M102’s for $449 USD. They even have the long ones in stock.

https://shop.sportsbasement.com/prod...35440211755080
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

They gave me a 20% off anything coupon after they ran out of 184cm Katanas and cancelled my order, so I'm giving these a try. I was tempted by some Enforcer 104's as a more playful alternative, but I couldn't turn down the price on the Mantra.

I've been skiing 183cm Salomon Stance 102's all season and once I got the tune dialed, I've grown to really like the ski. I'm looking forward to comparing these two, as I think the Stance series is pretty darn under-rated, particularly the 102. I was waffling between the 177 and the 184, but I think the 184 will be closer in length to my Stance 102's, so I went that way.

I'm 5'7" 150-155 pounds, FWIW.

Now for the really important question: Gold or Forza Pivot 15's?
    Last edited by glademaster; 04-12-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Well, the 184cm Mantra 102's just landed on my porch a few minutes ago.

Initial impressions:
    I wasn't aware this is a jib ski: it has a true twin-tip tail, which I wasn't expecting.

I'm glad I went with the 184, even though I'm 5'7" and weigh around 155 pounds. The 184 is less than a centimeter different in length from my 183cm Salomon Stance 102's, and the only times those have felt long were when I had the edges sharp tip-to-tail and was in early season ski shape.

They are stiffer than my Stance 102's, and the rocker profile is shallower, but longer than the Stance 102.

Weights: 2273g and 2274g. Sexy quality control. For the record, my 183cm Stance 102's come in at 2195g and 2220g.

The edges in the tapered sections of the ski (granted, they're short on a ski with this shape) have clearly been factory rounded/dulled to a great extent. I'm not sure I've encountered such dramatic dulling of an edge out of the wrapper since I last bought new On3p's.

My Stance 102's are softer (but they also have 60 ski days on them) but the flexes of the two skis are similarly round. Hand-flexing, the Mantra seems to have more snap in returning to it's cambered shape. The Stances and Mantras have similar rocker lengths in the shovel, but the Mantra has lower rise and a more pronounced tips, whereas the Stance has a higher rise rocker, with less distinct tip upturn. The Stance is also a true flat tailed ski with some tail rocker, whereas the Mantra is a twin tip. Tail rocker is shorter on the Stance, but the rise is slightly higher than the Mantra.

I'm still torn between Forza and Gold Pivot 15's, given the color scheme of the skis, but I'm also tempted to mount them up and put a few days on them before the lifts shut down for the season here, so I can A/B them with the Stance 102's when I have good ski legs and lots of familiarity with the Stance.

I think they're going to be a blast as a do-it-all ski for where I ski. I dislike quivers, and prefer to find a solid all-around ski that I can learn to be comfortable/confident on in all snow conditions. I'm still thinking I'll buy a second pair of Salomon Stance 102's, but the Mantras seem like they will be full capable of giving them a run for their money as my "set it and forget it" resort ski.

PSA skimonster has some of these for $399, just pulled the trigger after ogling them for the last two years. Now I have the same problem as glademaster re: pivots

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    PSA skimonster has some of these for $399, just pulled the trigger after ogling them for the last two years. Now I have the same problem as glademaster re: pivots

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Don't worry, the decision will get even harder when you see what color the "orange" on the forebody of the Mantra actually is.

But they are sexy skis.

The Mantra M102’s haul ass but are pretty easy to ski. They also pivot like a reverse camber ski. Ski them like you mean it.

I agree with Bandit they do haul ass and you do need to push them, but well worth it. I too am happy with the 184 at 5’8” 160lbs. The heft helps to mow over anything and it’s a perfect daily driver. 25 day and counting this year on them.

Skied my 184’s for my closer at Stevens today. They destroyed the piles of spring schmoo and let me ski faster than I should. I love how easy they are to throw sideways and shutdown. Thanks magic 3D sidecut!

I'm going to mount mine at +1cm/the middle line. The recommended line seems really far back even for a directional ski.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm going to mount mine at +1cm/the middle line. The recommended line seems really far back even for a directional ski.
    Good choice...no regrets...I’ve always been +1 or +2 on all my Volkls....and it’s always money. (for me)

My Stance 102's are mounted on the recommended line, which is around -10 or -10.5cm from center, and I've never thought to myself, "I really need more ski out in front of me." Recommended on the Mantra is like -11.5cm, so I figure +1 should be a good spot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Skied my 184’s for my closer at Stevens today. They destroyed the piles of spring schmoo and let me ski faster than I should. I love how easy they are to throw sideways and shutdown. Thanks magic 3D sidecut!
    Spent my last day of the season on mine as wel. M102s are next level. Keep coming back to it - they’re the best skis that have been introduced in the past several years imho.

FWIW, I’ve always been a closer to center mount guy and was planning to go at least +1 on my 191s, However after reading this thread and talking to a few friends who had them on the back line, I decided to go on the back line as well. I have to say I’m really happy with the way they ski. As others have mentioned the ski halls ass allowing you to go comfortably faster then you probably should be going. To me, they feel more stable going fast then my Qlabs that have a mount that’s closer to center. I’m sure there a lot of other factors, but I can’t help but think the fact that there is a bit more ski in the front helps with stability, especially when smashing through crud. Also, having a bit less tail in the back I think helps them brake loose easier as well. I have a pair of Bentchetlers 100s that I mounted +1.5 from the line, and occasionally there are times when skiing steeper off piste runs that I feel have too much tail in the back and feel locked into a turn I can’t break out off. I would occasionally get the same sensation with my Qlabs then skiing steeper off piste runs as well.

Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    FWIW, I’ve always been a closer to center mount guy and was planning to go at least +1 on my 191s, However after reading this thread and talking to a few friends who had them on the back line, I decided to go on the back line as well. I have to say I’m really happy with the way they ski. As others have mentioned the ski halls ass allowing you to go comfortably faster then you probably should be going. To me, they feel more stable going fast then my Qlabs that have a mount that’s closer to center. I’m sure there a lot of other factors, but I can’t help but think the fact that there is a bit more ski in the front helps with stability, especially when smashing through crud. Also, having a bit less tail in the back I think helps them brake loose easier as well. I have a pair of Bentchetlers 100s that I mounted +1.5 from the line, and occasionally there are times when skiing steeper off piste runs that I feel have too much tail in the back and feel locked into a turn I can’t break out off. I would occasionally get the same sensation with my Qlabs then skiing steeper off piste runs as well.
    I’m glad somebody gets it...

It’s a metal directional charger...but in a more updated user friendly format. It’s a Volkl for goodness sake.

If that doesn’t appeal to you, don’t buy it. If it does, feast upon the goodness in ample helpings...at speed.

It’s a metal directional charger...but in a more updated user friendly format.
    Yeah, it's not a twin tip. The tail is turned up, as was introduced 20 years ago via OG Vertigo G4 / Explosive / Gotama... etcetera. But this isn't a jib ski that park guys will buy to ski fakie. The tail is just turned up for ease-of-use... ie-- sideslipping into a couloir.

/sorry... was slightly annoyed with this ski being called a twin tip, and a jib ski.

And here I thought that statement was so obviously sarcastic that nobody would take it seriously.

I have a mint pair of 184 with bindings for sale - local sale preferred. PM me if interested. skied 3 days.

I’m daydreaming about a pair of 191 M102’s after spending a bunch of time on 184 M102’s and K108’s.

Anyone skied both the 184 and 191?

I’m daydreaming about a pair of 191 M102’s after spending a bunch of time on 184 M102’s and K108’s.

Anyone skied both the 184 and 191?
    seconded.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I skied the 184 during a demo day on a small icy hill, which is incredibly difficult to compare to my 191 on a big hill. So not really worth the comparison, although if I had to say something I'd say it's impossible to miss the sweet spot on the 184 at moderate speeds.
    Who cares how the crow flies

I was a very early adopter of the M102, managing to snag a 184 in Feb 2019. Just ski'd so damned well in any condition or terrain I threw it at, that I got a second when I blew up the edges of the first. Was very tempted to try the K108 after the first bit the rock dust, but that's just a bit too wide for a Banff daily. I had no reason to size up either because it had all the stability needed for 165lbs.

It feels like the consensus is that the 184 M102 was the "baseline" size for development, which is why that length specifically is praised so much. Just absolutely no way a ski that dialed should have a sweet spot that big. That being said it's been 3 model years, and historically that's how long a mantra gen lasts before its reduxed (the rockered Gen 4 the exception at 4), so I would personally wait for the '23 skis to be announced before grabbing another. If they "M6" the 102 and do it correctly that just might be the unicorn.