Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    So I was pretty sure I had my mind made up to get the B97 or the new M6. for my east coast daily driver, but after reading about the M102 on here I'm thinking I need to add this into consideration. Would this be overkill for most Vermont resort skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    This thread has come around full circle.
    YOu're right! I shoulda gone back to page 1.

Quote Originally Posted by searchforclarity View Post
    So I was pretty sure I had my mind made up to get the B97 or the new M6. for my east coast daily driver, but after reading about the M102 on here I'm thinking I need to add this into consideration. Would this be overkill for most Vermont resort skiing?
    Yes, it would be overkill. I have still used mine in New England without issue and I quite like them for it. Biggest limitation is just running out of vert before they get up to speed. If you want to make a bunch of precise, high energy linked turns there are lots of better skis. If you want to make very few turns down an open run while hauling ass, then ski in some woods with bad snow the M102 is a great choice.

M6 could be better, never tried it.

I skied the M6 last week in relatively homogeneous hard packed conditions. It seems to have the same chameleon-like qualities as the M102 where it can transition between railing and pivoting with ease, and it skis/feels significantly narrower than the 96mm it is. I got rid of the M102 because I knew the K108 would be as good but in a wider version, and now the M6 will be a good low-tide compliment to the K108. If I had to pick just one I'd get the M102.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Yes, it would be overkill. I have still used mine in New England without issue and I quite like them for it. Biggest limitation is just running out of vert before they get up to speed. If you want to make a bunch of precise, high energy linked turns there are lots of better skis. If you want to make very few turns down an open run while hauling ass, then ski in some woods with bad snow the M102 is a great choice.

M6 could be better, never tried it.
    Thanks for comparison. Definitely some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    I skied the M6 last week in relatively homogeneous hard packed conditions. It seems to have the same chameleon-like qualities as the M102 where it can transition between railing and pivoting with ease, and it skis/feels significantly narrower than the 96mm it is. I got rid of the M102 because I knew the K108 would be as good but in a wider version, and now the M6 will be a good low-tide compliment to the K108. If I had to pick just one I'd get the M102.
    Seconded. I demo’d the M6 and the K108. Was impressed with both. I’m buying the M6 and am serious thinking of replacing my current 105ish ski with the Katana.

So who's had the K108 in powder? I have no doubt it can carve, but I wonder how it performs in the deep.

(Apologies if I missed somebody's post about this.)

ETA: I see there are some powder reviews in the other thread.
    Last edited by yeahman; 02-18-2021 at 07:56 PM.

I’ve skis the m6 184 on 10-12 days in the past few weeks. Ridiculously good ski. It’s definitely not the tank the 102 is, but is more nimble and maneuverable in equal lengths and can still rip at super high speeds. Feels like less intense of a ski than the 102 even in 177 but can do it all. doesn’t bulldoze the snow the way the 102 does. If I had to pick one I’d pick the m6 but would rather have both.

Very impressed with the M102, mounted on the line. We've had a few inches of fluff here this week, on top of mostly chalk. Skied Enforcer 110 first thing this morning then switched to Mantra. Honestly can't think of anything the Enforcer did better than the M. And the edge hold on hard snow is impressive. If I was going to limit myself to 3 resort skis (haha) the M102 would be right in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Very impressed with the M102, mounted on the line. We've had a few inches of fluff here this week, on top of mostly chalk. Skied Enforcer 110 first thing this morning then switched to Mantra. Honestly can't think of anything the Enforcer did better than the M. And the edge hold on hard snow is impressive. If I was going to limit myself to 3 resort skis (haha) the M102 would be right in the middle.
    Crazy how the M102 has been an “under the radar” ski. But you really have to ski it to get it, the on-paper specs and shop hand flexing test don’t provide the correct perspective on the high performance versus versatility of that ski.

Now go try the K108...I dare you.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Crazy how the M102 has been an “under the radar” ski. But you really have to ski it to get it, the on-paper specs and shop hand flexing test don’t provide the correct perspective on the high performance versus versatility of that ski.

Yup. Both M102 and K108 are quiver killing mother fuckers. To the question above re: K108 float. I haven't had a chance to try it in anything deep but I did get to take a couple of demo laps on the 191 M102 in bottomless and was amazed how well it floated for a ski that width. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take the K108 out in 18" of new....and not need to change skis when it's 18" of old. Like I said, quiver killer as long as you don't want to jib...whatever the fuck that is.

And by the way, for you bigger guys, don't be afraid of the 191's in either the 102 or 108. They are more ski than the 184's but not that much more. You'll still probably die but you will have a speed induced grin on your face when you do.

Thanks for the feedback on float. I'm very temped by the K108 but with already having the M102 and a 118 powder ski, I am just not sure if I need it. Unless I dumped the M102 in favor of the K108. But the thing is I already dumped the M5 in favor of the 102, so I'd just be getting farther away from a dedicated low tide ski.

Oh well, First World problems. If I see them on sale I will probably be unable to stop myself.

Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

The interesting characteristic of the K108 in powder is how loose the ski feels. It does float well for a 108-waist, but that 3D sidecut (34-m in the tail on the 184) is like a multiplier in soft, deep snow...and the tail is only slightly rockered and turned up. Gets you the benefits of the rockered Katana without the drawbacks of full reverse camber. The M102 does the same thing, just to a slightly lesser degree (narrower with smaller radius).

If anyone’s looking for 191 M102s, Larson’s has a few pairs discounted to $535.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm trying hard not to buy the K108. You are an influencer Bandit, but I'm not sure you're a good one

So Tuesday at Targhee, about 4 or 5 inches of fresh on top of softish crud and bumps. Sun comes out and it's quiet because the highways are all closed. Really nice. I grab the Enforcer 110 and it's all good for 2 hours. I switch to the M102 for another 2 hours and it's even better. Where the E110 would occasionally feel hooky in the wind-affected, the M never did. Once or twice I was ripping through the chopped pow and thought, I'm skiing this snow faster than I normally do. I guess I would say the M102 is more confidence inspiring. Very easy in transition.

I also own the OG Bodacious, which I cherish and feels somewhat similar.
    So for today I'm gonna successfully resist the K108. Just don't need it.

Bandit Man or others who have skied both the M102 and K108: room for both in a quiver or are the tradeoffs between the two minor such that having both isn't worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    I'm trying hard not to buy the K108. You are an influencer Bandit, but I'm not sure you're a good one

So Tuesday at Targhee, about 4 or 5 inches of fresh on top of softish crud and bumps. Sun comes out and it's quiet because the highways are all closed. Really nice. I grab the Enforcer 110 and it's all good for 2 hours. I switch to the M102 for another 2 hours and it's even better. Where the E110 would occasionally feel hooky in the wind-affected, the M never did. Once or twice I was ripping through the chopped pow and thought, I'm skiing this snow faster than I normally do. I guess I would say the M102 is more confidence inspiring. Very easy in transition.

I also own the OG Bodacious, which I cherish and feels somewhat similar.
    So for today I'm gonna successfully resist the K108. Just don't need it.
    But just think how fast you would have been on the K108....

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    Bandit Man or others who have skied both the M102 and K108: room for both in a quiver or are the tradeoffs between the two minor such that having both isn't worth it?
    Cou

I have limited time on both but if it were me (working on it) I would get one or the other. Right now I'm thinking K108 with M6 as a kick ass 1-2 punch. Haven't skied the M6 myself but shop owner friends just did and liked them very much. Could cover a lot of conditions with this combo. If it was only one ski I would probably just get the M102.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Cou

I have limited time on both but if it were me (working on it) I would get one or the other. Right now I'm thinking K108 with M6 as a kick ass 1-2 punch. Haven't skied the M6 myself but shop owner friends just did and liked them very much. Could cover a lot of conditions with this combo. If it was only one ski I would probably just get the M102.
    I should have added that I own the 102. (Basically I'm just looking to rationalize another ski.)

Mantra 102 - where to mount it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Cou

Agree with Lord Thomas. You don’t NEED both.

But I am so glad that I took the plunge on the Katana K108. It fits my style and the conditions and terrain I frequently find on my skis days even better than the M102. They ski very similarly...the Katana is just so much closer to the Reverse Camber Katana while still being more resort friendly.

I mean that 3D sidecut on the K108 is 39-m in the shovel and 34-m in the tail (on the 184...on the 191 it is 43-m and 36-m)!!! It rails just like the M102 on firm snow...but is looser in crud and soft snow. I haven’t skied the M102 since I bought the K108...so that says something.

Agree with Lord Thomas. You don’t NEED both.

But I am so glad that I took the plunge on the Katana K108. It fits my style and the conditions and terrain I frequently find on my skis days even better than the M102. They ski very similarly...the Katana is just so much closer to the Reverse Camber Katana while still being more resort friendly.

I mean that 3D sidecut on the K108 is 39-m in the shovel and 34-m in the tail (on the 184...on the 191 it is 43-m and 36-m)!!! It rails just like the M102 on firm snow...but is looser in crud and soft snow. I haven’t skied the M102 since I bought the K108...so that says something.
    Made my mind up today to get some K108’s.

I can't say enough about the m102. I have both and are keeping both for now but find the k108 to be if anything an indulgence, because the m102 delivers across the board. It's an awesome ski. If I wanted fewer skis I'd take the katanas but since I have so many soft snow skis the m102 is a better fit if I had to play sophie's choice. They are making me consider dumping some of the other metal chargers I've been sussing out the last few seasons. Get them both!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    I can't say enough about the m102. I have both and are keeping both for now but find the k108 to be if anything an indulgence, because the m102 delivers across the board. It's an awesome ski. If I wanted fewer skis I'd take the katanas but since I have so many soft snow skis the m102 is a better fit if I had to play sophie's choice. They are making me consider dumping some of the other metal chargers I've been sussing out the last few seasons. Get them both!

You are on the 191’s in both? Are you skiing them in the Sierras (Mammoth)?

Yes that's right. Admittedly I skied the m102s all last season and shelved them until this week to ski other skis.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Yes that's right. Admittedly I skied the m102s all last season and shelved them until this week to ski other skis.

I grew up in LA and skied Mammoth all the time until I moved to the Seattle area 15-years ago. A 191 M102 would be the perfect Mammoth daily driver. I bet it kills it in the Mammoth wind blown.