Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Homemade Gifts

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Yes, he makes them in all different sizes and styles. His work on the blades is finer than some of the other work I have seen. While it is not really my thing, I can appreciate the skill, time and workmanship that goes into crafting them. His wife does some beautiful wire wrapped jewelry, but since they have had their first kid, they haven't had as much time to do as much rock cutting, designing and creating as usual.

My dad will find them interesting, especially since he said "I have no wants for this Christmas."
    I know how your Dad feels and this about sums it up:

Name:  FullSizeR(1).jpeg
Views: 374
Size:  49.4 KB
    Last edited by KQ; 12-06-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Next week, my project begins. I ordered 12 white coffee mugs. The plan is to paint my 5 month old baby's hands and wrap them around the mugs, then bake, then coat in enamel. Mail them out to all the family (aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas) and a few good friends. Not sure how cooperative she'll be, should be a fun activity!

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Next week, my project begins. I ordered 12 white coffee mugs. The plan is to paint my 5 month old baby's hands and wrap them around the mugs, then bake, then coat in enamel. Mail them out to all the family (aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas) and a few good friends. Not sure how cooperative she'll be, should be a fun activity!
    Oh that's good! You should memorialize it in pics and send those along with the mugs.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Homemade Gifts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6125.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	305095
    Homemade Doggie Cookies for our neighbors with dogs. (We all do a neighborhood gift thing.)

Name:	IMG_6110.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	290.6 KB 
ID:	305096
    Basically making about 200 candies and lozenges for our neighborhood friends too...

Name:	IMG_6095.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	996.0 KB 
ID:	305097
    This shows some better. That color tho.

Name:	IMG_6023.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	305098
    Then there’s the fact I’ve been living in Beanieland - it’s a real place & my family are all getting beanies for Christmas.

Name:	IMG_4549.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	478.1 KB 
ID:	305099
    I’m thinking about making some dog scarfs too... but not sure how much time I’ll have left...

the gift that always fits, and hopefully is the right color...
    Name:  dick in a box.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  37.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I know how your Dad feels and this about sums it up:

Name:  FullSizeR(1).jpeg
Views: 374
Size:  49.4 KB
    So true!

Your felting is adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    KQ, what about saving some work and just making the eggs?

I just got done with this spider box for my mother-in-law.

Attachment 305064
    Angling to give her a heart attack eh?

I still use a crochet blanket my mom made for me over 15 or so years ago, and I've personally made a few quilts (easier than spending all that time learning to crochet). Who can say no to a gift that can last minimum a few years in terms of use.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

See I'm wise enough to know
    When a gift needs givin', and I got just the one
    Somethin' to show ya that you are second to none

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhyturn View Post

Name:	IMG_6125.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	305095
    Homemade Doggie Cookies for our neighbors with dogs. (We all do a neighborhood gift thing.)

Name:	IMG_6110.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	290.6 KB 
ID:	305096
    Basically making about 200 candies and lozenges for our neighborhood friends too...

Name:	IMG_6095.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	996.0 KB 
ID:	305097
    This shows some better. That color tho.

Name:	IMG_6023.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	305098
    Then there’s the fact I’ve been living in Beanieland - it’s a real place & my family are all getting beanies for Christmas.

Name:	IMG_4549.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	478.1 KB 
ID:	305099
    I’m thinking about making some dog scarfs too... but not sure how much time I’ll have left...
    Love everything! That yarn is beautiful. My mom knits and does amazing stuff. I've tried but had trouble getting the tension right and then there is the whole thing of keeping count. Yeah... easily distracted. LOL! Needle felting and bead work are much more my style.

About those lozenges - are your molds silicone? When you gift them do you individually wrap them or put them together in cellophane bags? They look wonderful!

So love all this crafty stuff. Forgot to mention I have a neighbor who goes lavender and gives out home made sachets. They smell so good!

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    the gift that always fits, and hopefully is the right color...
    Name:  dick in a box.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  37.0 KB
    Funny no matter how many times I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    I still use a crochet blanket my mom made for me over 15 or so years ago, and I've personally made a few quilts (easier than spending all that time learning to crochet). Who can say no to a gift that can last minimum a few years in terms of use.
    I do envy those who do more substantive work than my needle felting - things that get used in everyday life. In the past I've done bead work - necklaces, earrings, bracelets etc. I've gotten away from it esp. since it seems everyone does it now. Still have hundreds of dollars worth of beads that need something done with them. Been thinking about incorporating them into my felted ornaments.

What I really need to do is get into wet felting. You can make hats and other clothing items with that process. Maybe I'll do it up big and get some Romney and Corridale sheep and start dying my own fiber. I have a neighbor who spins. I could have her teach me to make home spun for knitting. So many possibilities!

Love everything! That yarn is beautiful. My mom knits and does amazing stuff. I've tried but had trouble getting the tension right and then there is the whole thing of keeping count. Yeah... easily distracted. LOL! Needle felting and bead work are much more my style.

About those lozenges - are your molds silicone? When you gift them do you individually wrap them or put them together in cellophane bags? They look wonderful!

So love all this crafty stuff. Forgot to mention I have a neighbor who goes lavender and gives out home made sachets. They smell so good!
    That’s so cool.

The tension thing can be a little tricky. I stay on the slightly looser side so I don’t get stuck too tight. (I don’t even bother keeping count - I just go by how it looks. I’m easily distracted too.)

About the molds: yes, they’re silicone. I also have the breakaway candy molds for smaller pieces. I’ve tried a few different wrapping methods and found that the easiest and fastest is to use pre-cut cellophane candy wrappers to wrap them individually. (I get them at a kitchen baking store nearby.) If I wrap them as a whole, without wrapping them individually, they stick together to form one giant lump. And there’s no way to break them apart.

- And homemade sachets are a great idea! I never thought of that.

How’d you get into needle felting?

Combining the Homemade Gift Thread with the Kitty Stoke thread: looking at YOU, KQ!

Name:  IMG_3032.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  171.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by isisis View Post
    Combining the Homemade Gift Thread with the Kitty Stoke thread: looking at YOU, KQ!

Name:  IMG_3032.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  171.3 KB
    Adorable! I'm going to make a cat today too. Going for this:

Name:  Orange Kitty.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  1.8 KB

I've started a small wood shop, so I've been doing a fair number of cutting boards and the like for christmas. Wife is getting a guitar, so I'll do a guitar stand to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I've started a small wood shop, so I've been doing a fair number of cutting boards and the like for christmas. Wife is getting a guitar, so I'll do a guitar stand to go along with it.
    Nothing like a good wooden cutting board. I have one that was my parents that I still use.

Post pics!

Finished the owl nest ornament.

Name:	20191214_144544.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	306193

What a bunch of creative dentists!

Not much of a gift giver generally, but it's fun to share some of my bee's goodies.

Name:  IMG_8025.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  FDDV0729.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8074.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  UBYH2807.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  77.1 KB

Ms Middle is also ceramic artist ... formally trained and really talented. I was invited to glaze a few mugs, which went about as expected.

Name:  IMG_8214.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  27.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    What a bunch of creative dentists!

Not much of a gift giver generally, but it's fun to share some of my bee's goodies.

Name:  IMG_8025.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  FDDV0729.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8074.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  UBYH2807.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  77.1 KB

Ms Middle is also ceramic artist ... formally trained and really talented. I was invited to glaze a few mugs, which went about as expected.

Name:  IMG_8214.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  27.0 KB
    Honey from home hives is a HUGE gift! It is something I look forward to every year.

LOL@mug

Honey from home hives is a HUGE gift! It is something I look forward to every year.

LOL@mug
    More felting this time I combined it with beading. Made my mom a bookmark to go with a book by a local author (not the book pictured).

Mom is at an age where gift giving is hard outside of clothes, books and other practical things. Generally, if she can eat, drink it or wear it she doesn't want.

Name:	20191220_143902.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	306981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191220_144142.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	306982

Finished the owl nest ornament.

Name:	20191214_144544.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	306193
    This is so cute!!