Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Gifts

Homemade Gifts

Geek alert!

How many here give handmade gifts? Baked goods? Wood/metal work? Story books? Knitted?

This year I dusted off my fiber skills and needle felted some ornaments for gifts. A bit dorky I know but it's actually a lot of fun and if I I get a little THC on board the creativity and focus dials in for hours. LOL!

I have a GF on the west who is a quilter/sewer/baker and into made gifts. She is always sending me beautiful things she made. This year she's really into decorated Christmas cookies and sent me a picture of some of her first efforts which gave me the a bright idea. This year instead of sending her a store bought ornament which is my usual gift to her I felted her one. Usually the ornament has something to do with an event that occurred in her life in the last year so I copied her cookie:

Here is the pic she sent me:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4991001.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	304912

This is what I made:

Name:	20191205_125505 (1).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	304913

Name:	20191205_131331.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	944.6 KB 
ID:	304917

I left the edge a bit rough because I thought it gave it a softer look like actually frosting.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Really? Even Rosie Grier did needlepoint. LOL! I know you guys are crafty. Don't be shy, fess up even if it's the gift of something you grew in your garden.

One year my neighbor gave me a cool jar full of dried bay leaves from her shrub. They were the best bay leaves I've ever had, way better than anything I've bought at the store. I keep hoping she'll give me more.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I'm not sure I have pictures, but when we were dating/just married, I made my wife a window box greenhouse. It was built around a translucent plastic storage container, for which I built a frame and internal floor. Slipped into the window and let you close the window if you wanted. She grew herbs in it for the year or so until she moved and it's sat unused in our basement since.

My wife has a pottery studio and gives mugs and bowls. Does that count? She's Pro-Am. She has space in a local gallery, however this is her side gig.

I used to give cookies, but I lost my master baker partner. Maybe I should try this year.

Name:	21A13BEE-32A7-4C4F-B994-CE321DBB6D20.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	761.5 KB 
ID:	304931

Name:	B4B62D26-BAB9-48EE-99C5-F8BAB3A3612C.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	726.8 KB 
ID:	304932

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I used to give cookies, but I lost my master baker partner. Maybe I should try this year.

Name:	21A13BEE-32A7-4C4F-B994-CE321DBB6D20.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	761.5 KB 
ID:	304931

Name:	B4B62D26-BAB9-48EE-99C5-F8BAB3A3612C.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	726.8 KB 
ID:	304932
    are those red chainsaws on the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I'm not sure I have pictures, but when we were dating/just married, I made my wife a window box greenhouse. It was built around a translucent plastic storage container, for which I built a frame and internal floor. Slipped into the window and let you close the window if you wanted. She grew herbs in it for the year or so until she moved and it's sat unused in our basement since.
    Nice. You should dig it out and put a new bow on it.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My wife has a pottery studio and gives mugs and bowls. Does that count? She's Pro-Am. She has space in a local gallery, however this is her side gig.
    Cool. Do you have a link to her work?

I have a friend who is a photographer. Every year he puts together a calendar of his favorite shots and sends it to me. It's something I look forward to receiving.

I gifted a jar of kimchi to someone yesterday, and loaned 2 books to separate people. I cooked a full thanksgiving dinner for an old friend.

I'm not a moneymaker, but I do like creating memories.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    are those red chainsaws on the bottom?
    Yes, yes they are. Straightchuter and I have this running thing about saws so I found a chainsaw cookie cutter and sent him a batch.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I gifted a jar of kimchi to someone yesterday, and loaned 2 books to separate people. I cooked a full thanksgiving dinner for an old friend.

I'm not a moneymaker, but I do like creating memories.
    Now see - that's what I'm talking about!

Here's a thought (something I did) - grab pictures off a friend/family members FB page and put a calendar together on Vista Print. It's not expensive and is a fun look back at their year.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Yes, yes they are. Straightchuter and I have this running thing about saws so I found a chainsaw cookie cutter and sent him a batch.
    I heart this.

I’ve been knitting some scarves for gifts.

The husband of one of my coworkers does knapping. For something completely different this year, I got my dad two small pieces from him that he can arrange in a shadow box.

Name:	814357E4-14E7-463B-9F77-1E25B6AC9DE7.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	494.4 KB 
ID:	304948

The kids got monthly Kiwi crates for Xmas. They do the making, so that counts, right?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've been giving people spider boxes. I collect spider eggs in late fall and put them in decorative homemade boxes so they are hatching by Christmas. At our house they eat the flies and ladybugs which like to hang around the windows in the winter.

Name:  Huntsman_in_Box_by_Angela_Sanders.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  108.5 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I've made my wife a dressing table with seat (Queen Anne), a drop leaf dining table (Chippendale), a carved picture frame (she's an artist), and a carved boot jack, an inlaid pencil post headboard (Amish?) with matching side tables (Chippendale), among other things. All boring old fashioned style stuff that I doubt anyone would want to see pictures of, but I have posted on the stuff I made myself thread.

When you " Wanna get you somethin' from the heart"

Do it yourself, how to video:

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post

The husband of one of my coworkers does knapping. For something completely different this year, I got my dad two small pieces from him that he can arrange in a shadow box.

Were those made by your co-workers husband? Had to look up knapping. Very cool - They look like oyster knives, can they be used or are they just decoration?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've made my wife a dressing table with seat (Queen Anne), a drop leaf dining table (Chippendale), a carved picture frame (she's an artist), and a carved boot jack, an inlaid pencil post headboard (Amish?) with matching side tables (Chippendale), among other things. All boring old fashioned style stuff that I doubt anyone would want to see pictures of, but I have posted on the stuff I made myself thread.
    *swoon*

That sounds wonderful! Nothing like beautiful wood work hand made by a loved one. I have several friends who are amazing craftsmen. I never get tired of watching them turn a block of wood into a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    When you " Wanna get you somethin' from the heart"

Do it yourself, how to video:

Classic - love that! One night working late in the office around holiday time my secretary was particularly cantankerous (and rightly so) so I pulled that video up for her (she'd never seen it). She laughed so hard she almost fell out of her chair. It def. helped to lighten the mood for the rest of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The kids got monthly Kiwi crates for Xmas. They do the making, so that counts, right?
    Another one I had to look up. Great gift. I think it counts. The idea is to be creative, right? So is the gift that they get a new crate each month? The gift that keeps on giving!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I've been giving people spider boxes. I collect spider eggs in late fall and put them in decorative homemade boxes so they are hatching by Christmas. At our house they eat the flies and ladybugs which like to hang around the windows in the winter.

Name:  Huntsman_in_Box_by_Angela_Sanders.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  108.5 KB

With both our sons getting married soon (no official announcement on the second) I'm going to have to learn to make mid-century modern furniture. None of that 18th century stuff for them.

Xmas gift sewing starts today for me

That it's great Steve. What will toy be making?

Starting on a nest of barn owls for my friend who lives owls. It should look nice sitting on a branch of her Christmas tree.

Name:	20191206_130845.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	305063

KQ, what about saving some work and just making the eggs?

I just got done with this spider box for my mother-in-law.

Name:  s565706191624664136_p152_i1_w640.jpeg
Views: 365
Size:  76.8 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    KQ, what about saving some work and just making the eggs?

I just got done with this spider box for my mother-in-law.

Name:  s565706191624664136_p152_i1_w640.jpeg
Views: 365
Size:  76.8 KB
    Perfect box! Boy won't she be surprised. Make sure you record her reaction and post back here for all to enjoy.

LOL@eggs. Really isn't all that much work besides weather sux here and there's not much to do on the farm this time of year so it's the perfect indoor activity. See that little needle stuck in the pad? That is my primary tool. A lot of stabbing to get the wool to bind together. I do have several gauges of needles depending on how detailed I need to get.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post

Nice prison shanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Were those made by your co-workers husband? Had to look up knapping. Very cool - They look like oyster knives, can they be used or are they just decoration?
    Yes, he makes them in all different sizes and styles. His work on the blades is finer than some of the other work I have seen. While it is not really my thing, I can appreciate the skill, time and workmanship that goes into crafting them. His wife does some beautiful wire wrapped jewelry, but since they have had their first kid, they haven't had as much time to do as much rock cutting, designing and creating as usual.

My dad will find them interesting, especially since he said "I have no wants for this Christmas."