Volkl 100Eight: Edge Issues

I just called our local ski shop as I wanted to swap out my damaged Volkl 100Eights I bought only two years ago for some new ones and the rep I spoke to really tried to steer me away from this ski. He said they've seen a lot of damage underfoot right where my edge crack is on my ski. Has anyone else see this type of damage? I'm wondering if this is the word on the street that I haven't heard? I'm trying to figure out if I should demo some new skis and looked for a new make/model in the 108 range.

Rep speaks the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn. Ok maybe I need to switch to a new ski. What are folks skiing in this width that they love (108)?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Rep speaks the truth.

Lots of guys like the « new » Corvus. 107mm flat camber. Or the V-Werks Katana.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Damn. Ok maybe I need to switch to a new ski. What are folks skiing in this width that they love (108)?
    Big fan of the Devastator. 108 underfoot in the 184

Ive seen 3 pairs of Mantra M5s with the same problem

I warrantied 2 pair of 100eights so yes look elsewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wasn't the 100eight issue only the early years, and was allegedly solved for 2019 or something?

You guys are slipping. The obvious option would be....

Praxis RX

I destroyed two edges/sidewalls on a demo pair last season on something that would've only been a small coreshot or small edge dent on most other skis. They're super fun skis but I wouldn't buy a new pair

What did you like/ not like about the 108's. Where do you ski? There is immense variety at that width in term of what skis do well.

Also I've been warned against those Volkl's by multiple people as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Ive seen 3 pairs of Mantra M5s with the same problem
    Interesting, got any pics by chance? Hit lots of rocks with mine and no issues yet (2nd season). Can't find any complaints online. First I've heard of this but would be curious to know more as I'm considering the 102s and I think the construction is basically the same.

Didn’t take pics. One buddy pulled the edge off his first pair and a warranty pair, both right under the foot. Neither had any base damage or appearance of hitting anything hard.

Saw another pair with similar damage, but repaired, at a shop in Whitefish. Could be isolated instances but with similar problems with 108’s It raises eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    What did you like/ not like about the 108's. Where do you ski? There is immense variety at that width in term of what skis do well.

Also I've been warned against those Volkl's by multiple people as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    I rode em in the Wasatch last season. With it being full reverse camber it was really all I needed even on deeper days, super smeary/slarvy but once you get it on edge on harder snow that effective edge (along with minimal sidecut) really grows and kicks in to drive nice long turns. The swing weight is super light as well.

Thanks for the recommendation stuntman.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Lots of guys like the « new » Corvus. 107mm flat camber. Or the V-Werks Katana.

Thanks for the recommendation Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Big fan of the Devastator. 108 underfoot in the 184

By the way, I called the Volkl rep on Friday. Nothing they can do for my 3 year old skis and the rep claims she had never heard of the edge issue but she also said she was new to the job in the last 5 months. No clue if I called the wrong number

I ski a first generation 90eight (no problems) and picked up a used 2nd generation 100eight last year but only got one day one them. Is the problem with the 1st or 2nd generation? They added more fiberglass to both the 90eight and 100eight in 2018, was it maybe to correct this? I know it was to add torsional stability.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk