salomon 916 ZZ bindings OK to use without the bar?

I have some 916ZZ bindings (integrated bar thingy between/heel)

can this be removed, and OK to use the bindings without this?

Pretty sure the heels are unusable without the connector bar. It sets the forward pressure as I remember

^ This.

If the ZZ bar ain't broke, then don't mess with it---just mount it as designed. On the hill, I can feel only ONE difference between ZZ and non-ZZ 916's---I can feel the ZZ heel shim is more rigid and transmits more shock than the squishier rubber dampener on non-ZZ 916 heels.

I have one pair of ZZ's with broken bars, which I will someday mount onto a beater ski with metal topsheet, using an extra screw or 2 to fasten the heel's broken bar "stub" directly into the ski core. I think a metal topsheet will hold the fwd pressure...if I ever run out of better bindings in my stash.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

thanks

Never could figure out why the zz 916s were made when the straight 916s were already such a good binding. Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Never could figure out why the zz 916s were made when the straight 916s were already such a good binding. Anybody?
    exactly. I was hoping that bar was marketing only.

For consistency when racing. Putting the heel in a track and attaching it to the toe virtually eliminates the affect of the binding on ski flex, so no flat spot. The forward pressure remains constant regardless of how much the ski is flexed. Many racing bindings have this feature.