Thread: La Ventana

La Ventana

Headed to La Ventana for hopefully windsurfing and some riding too. I have not been in ~ 15 years or so and hear there are more trails and decent bike rentals. Has anyone been recently and rented a bike and gotten some good riding? Cheers!

So - there are two bike rental shops as of Dec 2019, one connected to Ventana Windsports and another ~ a mile or so away call mountain bike hub. Rentals ~ $45 a day at Ventana Windsports. The riding was fun for sure, the hard tail with fat`~ 3.0 tires was fine and was X0 1x11. Ventana windsports is connected to the local trail work community and steered me to the best maintained trails, the Hub may be as well, the other shop just happened to be very close to the place I was staying.

FWIW i flew with windsurf gear and would not do it again, Ventana windsports also rents windsurf gear and their gear was new, rigged and available for ~ $100 a day. I was probably hopeful bringing a 4.2, 4.7 & 5.5 with an 85 ltr board, I rented a 6.2 and ~ 100 ltr board. The sailing is great when the wind is up, ~ big ocean swell with very little competition for it once you are ~ 1/2 mile off shore. The wind when i was there maxed out in the low 20's, three days ~ 6.0 and one 5.0 out of seven possible, the other days were not windy at all.

we rented a car, i didn't realize but taxes and mandatory insurance about double the bill, apparently Ventana will generally have the best wind so if your only concern about getting a transfer/taxi and not having a car versus renting is finding the best wind then a transfer may be the way to go.

stayed at Kurt n Marina's, clean, quite, inexpensive and coffee was ready ~ 7:30, right on the water,
    Last edited by Jack Burton; 12-16-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.